Donor is behind effort to ease sex-offender rules

Maybe it depends on the state but here in texas it does limit how far you live from schools etc.

I am against people being added to sex offender registry due to teenage relationships such as a 17 yr old and a 15 year old but you better believe I want to know if a sex offender is in my neighborhood. Otherwise, how could one know if a person was or not? I don't know my neighbors by names, or other knowledge to where I could run a background check. I also know certain employers use the SO registry to determine if they gonna hire a person or not.

Yes a person had served their time but we've seen the courts drop the ball with light sentences for violent sex offenders and rapists.

It would be helpful to know just exactly what this boy/man pled guilty to. But, why would the parents want to remove ALL SO's that were convicted as juveniles. There are definitely some out there that you would want to know where they are. If their son had a relationship with a 12 or 13 year old, why not move to have certain levels of offenses removed, not all.
It sounds to me like the parents think the son committed a youthful transgression and shouldn't have to pay for it the rest of his life. If it was a violent rape, I disagree. jmo

The law lets people who were 19 or younger at the time of their offenses ask to be taken off the registry if their victims were at least 13 years old and the sexual offense did not involve force. Decisions on whether to remove people from the list are made by judges.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/09/4468322/72-people-removed-from-missouri.html#storylink=cpy

I am wondering why the parents didn't go this route. Maybe they did and were denied?

I just think letting all juveniles off the list is dangerous. jmo

I wouldn't have a problem if it was kept available to LE but not the public. I think that manages to compromise

The law lets people who were 19 or younger at the time of their offenses ask to be taken off the registry if their victims were at least 13 years old and the sexual offense did not involve force. Decisions on whether to remove people from the list are made by judges.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/09/4468322/72-people-removed-from-missouri.html#storylink=cpy

I am wondering why the parents didn't go this route. Maybe they did and were denied?

Perhaps because the victim was only 12 years old?

My post ~ #15 asked about why daddy Rand would to try to change S/O registry laws in Missouri, since son's conviction was in IL.
per screen cap linked ~#8 (http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/ ).

Per MO S/O site, conviction was in IL, son's address in Dixon, MO.
Per IL S/O site, son's address is out of state, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

I wonder if this is what happened -
-convicted in IL, got registered.
- moved to SD, updated IL info
- then moved to MO, where son registered, but failed to update IL info, so IL website info is stale.
Or maybe another explanation. Anyone else?

MO site shows offender's age-at-time-of offense as 17, and victim's age as 12.

And did anyone else notice- It appears he did not learn much from his 'youthful indiscretion,' as some called it,
since he had a second aggravated criminal sex abuse conviction three years later, at ~ age 20-21
(another poster here said his first offense occurred 3 mo. short of 18 birthday).
I wonder what age his second victim was.

Aggravated Criminal Sex Abuse * Springfield, IL 06/17/1998
Aggravated Criminal Sex Abuse * Springfield, IL 05/15/2001

And daddy Rand wants to keep his son off the S/O registries?
Anybody else think that's a swell idea?

Maybe it depends on the state but here in texas it does limit how far you live from schools etc.

I am against people being added to sex offender registry due to teenage relationships such as a 17 yr old and a 15 year old but you better believe I want to know if a sex offender is in my neighborhood. Otherwise, how could one know if a person was or not? I don't know my neighbors by names, or other knowledge to where I could run a background check. I also know certain employers use the SO registry to determine if they gonna hire a person or not.

Yes a person had served their time but we've seen the courts drop the ball with light sentences for violent sex offenders and rapists.

It limits how close they can live to a park or playground as well, or a licensed daycare facility even if its in a private house in a neighborhood. They don't always listen, though. There's an offender that lives in my town who raped a 9 y/o when he was 33. His dad owns a home that's literally 30 feet from our park & right down the street from our middle school & high school. He moved in with his dad bc he couldn't get a place on his own. Several people in town turned him in. It was brought to light that he'd been living there for over a year without getting caught. No penalty, slap on is wrist, his dad wasn't even fined.

It would be helpful to know just exactly what this boy/man pled guilty to. But, why would the parents want to remove ALL SO's that were convicted as juveniles. There are definitely some out there that you would want to know where they are. If their son had a relationship with a 12 or 13 year old, why not move to have certain levels of offenses removed, not all.
It sounds to me like the parents think the son committed a youthful transgression and shouldn't have to pay for it the rest of his life. If it was a violent rape, I disagree. jmo

I think the same way ohiogirl. I'd like to add that I feel a little uneasy now knowing about their sizable political donations, their vested fight in the change of s/o laws, yet they don't specifically state the exact nature of their son's criminal charges. After all, he plead down... Some states opt for the 15 year registry, then the offender can appeal to the judge once their 15 years is up to be taken off the registry, but I think those situations have to be proven that such a offender has proven theirself to be integral in soceity and changed for the better.

Wow. Thanks! That's exactly how not_my_kids said it was! He was arrested for a crime against a 12 y/o victim, he plead down when it went to court in 2001, seems that's when the age of the victim changed to 13-16. Wow...

http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/CJ38/Off...and&suffix=&firstName=Anthony&middleName=Keil

2py7429.jpg

Wow 3 months shy of his 18th birthday.

So what was the offense? Exactly...

Also, I wonder if the 12 y/o was close to the age of 13. Could that also have something to do with the plea deal? Or was he maybe able to plea down bc the girl was afraid to go to court or maybe her parents just wanted this to go away as soon as possible? Alot of times parents do that (agree to a plea deal between their attorney and the defense) to protect their children victims from feeling their hurt all over again. Maybe?

I really want to know more about these people that are trying to change the laws. If somebody is going to put out that kind of money, and fight tooth & nail to change laws that were put in place to protect the public, then why not be transparent in the crime at the bottom of their agenda - their son's?

They own a string of tobacco outlets? Anybody have the name?

This link lists the victim's age as 12. I support Romeo and Juliet laws that provide leeway for teenagers who are close in age and have a consensual relationship, but IMO the age difference between 17 and 12 is a bit over the line. (And it looks like he was only about 3 months shy of 18 when the offense occurred.) JMO, OMO, and MOO.

Totally agree.

I wish we had his original records. Was there force involved? Was it a mild molest (pls don't take out of context everyone) or was it a full blown rape with penetration? Was it a kiss, a grab, was he lewd & inappropriate, was he luring, etc etc etc?

And did anyone else notice- It appears he did not learn much from his 'youthful indiscretion,' as some called it,
since he had a second aggravated criminal sex abuse conviction three years later, at ~ age 20-21
(another poster here said his first offense occurred 3 mo. short of 18 birthday).
I wonder what age his second victim was.

Aggravated Criminal Sex Abuse * Springfield, IL 06/17/1998
Aggravated Criminal Sex Abuse * Springfield, IL 05/15/2001

And daddy Rand wants to keep his son off the S/O registries?
Anybody else think that's a swell idea?

Respectfully snipped by me...

I think you may have read that wrong. The way I see it, he was charged on 6/17/1998. His lawyers probably postponed court numerous times, then the prosecution and defense finally came to an agreement on a plea deal. The conviction/plea agreement was on 5/15/2001. The plea on 5/15/01 was for the crime dated 6/17/98. Please refer to the snapshot above.

Hmmm... I just thought of something...

Some state have that 15 year sex offender registry law. Others have a lifetime law. Is it possible that IL & SD have the 15 year law that allows offenders to petition the courts once they reach their 15 year mark...but maybe MO doesn't have that law? Could that be why parents are pushing for new legislation in MO?

Pure brainstorming, probably going nowhere with it. It's just so confusing why parents would only petition MO. Why?

Respectfully snipped by me...

I think you may have read that wrong. The way I see it, he was charged on 6/17/1998. His lawyers probably postponed court numerous times, then the prosecution and defense finally came to an agreement on a plea deal. The conviction/plea agreement was on 5/15/2001. The plea on 5/15/01 was for the crime dated 6/17/98. Please refer to the snapshot above.

Jersey*Girl
Thank you for pointing this out.
Yes, appears I misread or misinterpreted the info on website.
Maybe he did learn something. I hope so. My apologies to anyone mislead.

I wonder if he is complying w. IL requirements for RSOs.
Per MO S/O site, conviction was in IL, son's address in Dixon, MO.
Per IL S/O site, son's address is out of state, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
I wonder if this is what happened -
-convicted in IL, got registered.
- moved to SD, updated IL info
- then moved to MO, where son registered, but failed to update IL info?, so IL website info is stale. Or maybe the info is not updated in real time, or even daily.

Or maybe another explanation. Anyone else? :seeya:

It doesn't limit where you can live in Texas (I live here too.). People on parole or probation can have residential limitations but not just for being on the registry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back