Drew gets visit from Child Protective Services

I really honestly do not understand why children are left with someone who is a suspect in the disappearance of their (step) mother, or any human being for that matter. I just can't wrap my brain around that. Are we here the only ones who see this as a disaster waiting to happen? Sure seems like it...

I really honestly do not understand why children are left with someone who is a suspect in the disappearance of their (step) mother, or any human being for that matter. I just can't wrap my brain around that. Are we here the only ones who see this as a disaster waiting to happen? Sure seems like it...

We need a new provision in family law for the realatives of a missing or murdered spouse to be able to ask for the children to be removed to a safe place while the police investigate the spouse.

Susan

We need a new provision in family law for the realatives of a missing or murdered spouse to be able to ask for the children to be removed to a safe place while the police investigate the spouse.

Susan

Well in this case that would help, but what if the spouse is actually innocent and one of the family members did it... that way the kids actually get from the safe place to the bad one.

The idea is good, but I'm more thinking along the lines that anybody who is an actual suspect in a crime (or certain crimes) shouldn't be allowed to keep their children with them physically unless and until they are cleared... And I'm seriously wondering why the heck there isn't a law or regulation about this yet!

Those children need to be out of there!!!!! Even though many guns have been taken out of the house, there may be more hidden somewhere or some other means. As things close in, this disturbed person may again just do something stupid. He knows what will happen if (when) he is incarcerated, knows probably more than we do. We can't expect him to do the right thing... As the pressure must be mounting for him, it is vital that the kids are safe. His good friend Steve should suggest to dp that the kids need to be somewhere else until he is cleared - would Steve want it on his conscience if dp hurt them?

While we may have already convicted DP in our minds, they have not charged him with any crimes. If the children are not being abused or neglected according to CPS, the legal standing remains with the parent left in the home...in this case, the father.

I don't believe a law would ever be passed to remove children from someone who has not yet been arrested or charged. This would go against the constitution.

The case of the teacher's husband shooting and killing her highschool BF in the driveway was given a legal right to his children AFTER he was charged. She and the children are still on the run, as far as I know.

While we may have already convicted DP in our minds, they have not charged him with any crimes. If the children are not being abused or neglected according to CPS, the legal standing remains with the parent left in the home...in this case, the father.

I don't believe a law would ever be passed to remove children from someone who has not yet been arrested or charged. This would go against the constitution.

The case of the teacher's husband shooting and killing her highschool BF in the driveway was given a legal right to his children AFTER he was charged. She and the children are still on the run, as far as I know.

I diagree that this would go against the constitution.... look at sex offenders who aren't allowed near children. That law passed, or whatever it is, anyway - that's allowed. I'm sure they could draw up something to make sure that children in situations like these are kept safe. These children have constitutional rights too. :twocents: IMO

Not until the person has been charged with a crime! This is where I think it does become a constitutional issue. You can't just walk in with NO evidence and remove the children without cause. No charges=no cause.

Removing children from a suspected sex offender is entirely different. They cannot allow the person being investigated to remain in the same home with possible victims of such abuse. However, in DP's case, there is no suspected abuse of the children...only the spouse.

You're right, but there is where I think they need to expand - if the adult with whom a minor lives is an official suspect in the disappearance or murder of another human being they need to be better safe than sorry and remove all minors from the care of the suspect. They do that stuff all the time while investigation home situations, why not now....

So in other words, change the law so that anytime a person goes missing...the children are automatically removed because the first person LE looks at is the spouse. This could mean the children are taken away even if the missing person is alive and well...but walked away instead. This would open the flood gates for every spouse that wants to be vindictive. They would just leave a few days, make it look like the spouse had something to do with their disappearance, and let CPS come get the kids.

So in other words, change the law so that anytime a person goes missing...the children are automatically removed because the first person LE looks at is the spouse. This could mean the children are taken away even if the missing person is alive and well...but walked away instead. This would open the flood gates for every spouse that wants to be vindictive. They would just leave a few days, make it look like the spouse had something to do with their disappearance, and let CPS come get the kids.

No no, I did not mean (or say) that. I said when the adult in the home where minors are living is an official suspect. That's different than just any spouse of a missing person, and early in this thread I spoke up against just such a thing.

I think that there should be some level of involment proven such as preponderance of the evidence as in civil court, but to wait until the prosecution feels they have all they need to prove to the higher standard of reasonable doubt puts children in unnecessary jepardy, IMO.

Besides, I believe it is abusive to children to have to live in a home in which a parent is being abused, whether the child gets hit or not, it does them permanent damage to witness this. And I refuse to believe that a spouse who beats up his or her partner is capable of being a proper loving non-abusive parent.

No no, I did not mean (or say) that. I said when the adult in the home where minors are living is an official suspect. That's different than just any spouse of a missing person, and early in this thread I spoke up against just such a thing.
OK! Actually, I had worried about the children in *ahem* another case I won't mention...and wished they could remove them for the same reasons and in that case...there is no suspect, but only a POI.

While I think it would be a good law, I just don't think it would ever be passed.

OK! Actually, I had worried about the children in *ahem* another case I won't mention...and wished they could remove them for the same reasons and in that case...there is no suspect, but only a POI.

While I think it would be a good law, I just don't think it would ever be passed.

I'm trying to think if I know which case you mean... lol. Have to look around WS some.

I don't think any such law will ever happen either... but it sure would be nice. Instead we can just sit here and worry about those kids and hope and pray their dad won't go ballistic on them...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back