Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Session When court reconvenes at 10a ET, the State's next witnesses are expected to be Tom Pontarelli, Kathleen Savio's neighbor and husband of witness Mary Pontarelli, and two locksmiths who were involved in opening Savio's door @ Peterson's request.
8 minutes ago

19m In Session ‏@InSession
#drewpeterson : after Pontarelli, State is expected to call 2 locksmiths that DP contacted about opening #KathleenSavio's front door.

In Session
2 minutes ago
Tom Pontarelli, Kathleen Savio's neighbor and the husband of yesterday's witness, Mary Pontarelli, is expected to be the next witness in Day 2 of the Drew Peterson trial. Court is expected to resume shortly. Follow this thread for live updates on the events in court.

https://www.facebook.com/InSession

about a minute ago

In Session here is some info on the prosecution's first witness, Mary Pontarelli who testified yesterday: Prosecution Witness #1) MARY PONTARELLI (next-door neighbor and close friend of drowning victim Kathleen Savio)
* Became friends with Drew and Kathleen Savio Peterson when the Petersons moved next door in 1997. She was especially close to Kathleen. “We seen [sic] each other almost every day.”
* Recalled how the Petersons split up after Kathleen learned that Drew was having an affair with Stacy Cales.
* After Drew Peterson moved out, Kathleen had a deadbolt lock installed on her bedroom door.
* Last saw Savio on the afternoon of Saturday, February 28, 2004. “She said that she had a great week at school . . . she was studying to become a nurse.” Said that Savio told her she was going to stay home that night and study.
* Saw Savio’s bedroom light was still on when she and her husband returned home from a party that night around midnight.
* On Monday, evening (March 1), she received a call from Drew Peterson. “He said he’d tried to bring the kids back, but Kathleen still wasn’t home . . . he asked me if he got a locksmith if I would go in the house with him.”
* After unsuccessfully trying to reach Savio by phone, Mrs. Pontarelli agreed to go along with Drew Peterson’s plan. “I went outside; the locksmith was already working on the door.”
* Once the front door was open, Pontarelli went upstairs with another neighbor, Steve Cancerano. “He [Peterson] was still down by the bottom of the steps.”
* After she and Cancerano entered Savio’s bedroom, Cancerano headed toward the master bathroom. “He called out my name, I went into the bathroom, and seen [sic] Kathy in the tub. I ran out of the bathroom, threw myself down, and started screaming.”
* Described injuries she noted on Savio’s body. “She had a cut in her head . . . there was dried blood in her hair . . . then I noticed some bruising on her wrists and on her buttocks. She also had some blood coming out of her nose.”
* After she screamed, her husband, her son, and Peterson came running up to the bathroom. “Drew did take her pulse. I said, ‘Is the dead?’ And he said, ‘Yes, Mary, she is.’”
* Pontarelli’s first impulse was to drape something over Savio’s body. But Peterson told that she shouldn’t.
* Described the Peterson/Savio divorce as “bitter” . . . but acknowledged that as time went on “it seemed that they were getting along better.”
* Agreed that Kathleen Savio could be “tough . . . I wouldn’t call her bossy . . . she had strong passions.”
* Doesn’t recall seeing a robe or any clothing near Savio’s bathtub. However, she acknowledged that a photo of the scene seems to show a blue robe inside the room.
* Peterson was in uniform on the night in question. But when he rushed up the stairs and into the bathroom as a result of Pontarelli’s scream, he did not have his gun drawn.

I can understand why " prior bad acts " are not admissible because their not relevant to the case, but isn't this particular "bad act" relevant to this case?

Yes, but they reported yesterday that the Pros. didn't notify the defense they would be bringing this in, so it wasn't allowed. Doh!:seeya:

Glenn Marshall
‏@GMarshall_Jr

"We're supporting the family" Stacy Peterson's family spokesperson #DrewPeterson @nbcchicago pic.twitter.com/nQsaYXrz

8m agrimm34 ‏@agrimm34
#DrewPeterson lawyer Joel Brodsky enters courthouse, talks to press. SA Glasgow walks past cameras

16s Jill Bastian ‏@jillbastian5
Drew thinks court is going well, according to his Atty Joel Brodsky. #DrewPeterson

1m Dan Rozek ‏@DanRozek1
#DrewPeterson prosecution witness Mary Pontarelli bolstered Peterson's defense, attorney Joel Brodsky said.

1m In Session ‏@InSession
#drewpeterson : State is expected to file motion so defense can't ask about prior DUI from a potential witness who may testify this morning.

:banghead:

In Session Cameras aren't allowed in the courtroom, but we have producer Michael Christian sending up to second updates from court. We will post those updates on Facebook and Twitter as soon as we get them.
43 seconds ago

In Session The parties are gathering in the vicinity of the Peterson courtroom, but it doesn’t look as if they’re ready to start within the next few minutes. Some of the defense attorneys are milling in the hallway, while a couple of the prosecutors are inside the courtroom. But much of each team is still missing.

This isn't going too well for prosecution so far. Just my impression....

I can understand why " prior bad acts " are not admissible because their not relevant to the case, but isn't this particular "bad act" relevant to this case?

This prior bad act involved the victim of the case, so I'm having the same problem understanding as you are. Events that happened toward the end of the marriage would be relevant I would think because they all led to the final outcome - murder.

*I just read the why. Sigh. Excuse my stupid comment, please.

MOO

In Session Prosecution PIO Chuck Pelkie has just given us the expected lineup of today’s witnesses. In addition to Tom Pontarelli, Robert Akin, and Chris Wolzen, we may hear from Louis Oleszkiewicz, a paramedic or EMT who responded to the house after Kathleen Savio’s body was discovered.

2m agrimm34 ‏@agrimm34
#DrewPeterson Witnesses today: Savio neighbor Tom Pontarelli, paramedic Louis Oleszkiewicz, locksmiths Chris Wolzen and Robt Akin

The prosecution didn't stick to the rules with disclosure, rookie error. That's why its not admissable.

I've a horrible feeling this guy is going to walk.

In Session Judge Burmila has just taken the bench. The prosecution asks for a few more minutes, “to plug in,” which the judge grants.
57 seconds ago

In Session Both sides are now ready to go. Judge Burmila sends for the jury.

In Session All rise as the jurors enter the courtroom. The prosecution calls Thomas Pontarelli as its next witness. The direct examination will be by prosecutor Kathy Patton.
about a minute ago

In Session Thomas Pontarelli takes the stand. He lives at 396 Pheasant Chase Drive in Bolingbrook (with his wife, his son, Nick, and other family members). Prosecution: “Do you know Drew Peterson?” Pontarelli: “Yes, I do.” He identifies the defendant inside the courtroom.
11 seconds ago

In Session Pontarelli says Drew and Kathleen Savio Peterson moved in next door “in approximately 1999.” He identifies a photograph of Kathleen Savio.
6 minutes ago

In Session Prosecution: “Did you become friends with the Petersons?” Pontarelli: “Yes, we did.” Prosecution: “Did your wife also become friends with them?” Pontarelli: “Yes . . . we had neighbor barbeques, we went to Lake Geneva together, and a camping trip, out to dinner, things like that, holidays.” Prosecution: “You knew that he was a police officer?” Pontarelli: “Yes.”

At some point, he came to realize that the Petersons were undergoing divorce proceedings. Pontarelli: “She [Kathleen] was attending school to become a nurse.” Prosecution: “Are you aware that the first portion of the divorce was final before Kathleen’s death?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Prosecution: “Who were the children living with at that time?” Pontarelli: “They were living with Kathy.”
He says Drew moved to a new home “down the block and around the corner…a block and a half [away], or two blocks.” At this time, Drew was married to Stacy Peterson. He now identifies a photograph of Stacy Peterson.
about a minute ago

In Session Pontarelli says his house and the Savio house were “about 15 feet apart.” Using a laser pointer he notes on a projected photograph the two homes.
A few seconds ago

3 minutes ago · Like

In Session Prosecution: “In early 2002, about the time the marriage began to break up, did Kathleen ask you to do anything with a lock in her house?” The witness starts to answer, “Yes, she did” … but before he can go any further, the defense objects. The attorneys are now all at a sidebar.
about a minute ago

In Session The sidebar ends, and Pontarelli confirms that Kathleen Savio asked him to install a lock “on her bedroom door.” He identifies a photograph of the door and lock in question. The photo shows a hole in the door, but the witness says he had nothing to do with that.

In Session Mr. Pontarelli is shown another photograph. Pontarelli: “That looks like the door we just seen; that’s the inside of the door.” Once again, the photograph shows a hole that the witness said he didn’t have anything to do with. Prosecution: “There are scratches on the inside of the latch lock.” “And also there are scratches around the hole?” Pontarelli: “Yes. There are scratches on the lock.” Prosecution: “Was that like that the day you installed it?” Pontarelli: “No.”

In Session Prosecution: “Did the defendant call you about a new lock on the front door at any time?” Pontarelli: “We had a conversation about that, yes…it was on the phone…he called me.” Prosecution: “What, if anything, did he tell you?” There is a defense objection to this, which is sustained. Prosecution: “What did he say to you?” Pontarelli: “That he didn’t want me helping her change the locks…I said that I got his message…this was about the front door, and he told me not to be changing the locks on the front door. And I told him I didn’t do it.

In Session At one point (he can’t remember the date), the witness helped Savio move some things from her home into his garage. Drew showed up while this was going on. Pontarelli: “He told me he didn’t want anyone moving my stuff, and ‘any friend of hers was an enemy of mine.’”

In Session The witness last saw Savio alive on the afternoon of Saturday, February 28, 2004. They had a conversation when the Pontarellis returned from a vacation; they spoke briefly outside her home. Prosecution: “Did you ever see Kathleen Savio alive again?” Pontarelli: “No.”

In Session On Saturday evening, the Pontarelli family went to a party, returning approximately 12:20 am. When they returned, he noticed “her bedroom light was on.” Prosecution: “Is that the only light you saw on?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Using a photo and a laser pointer, the witness points out this bedroom window. Prosecution: “Did you say anything about that?” Pontarelli: “Just that she must have been up studying.” Prosecution: “Did you see any other lights on in the house?” Pontarelli: “No.” Prosecution: “Any outdoor lights on?” Pontarelli: “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther