Dubbed "Vodka Mom" in scathing Nancy Grace segment, MN woman burns self to death

She had a choice.

This infant died a slow, agonizing, horrific death as his mother smothered him to death. My compassion lies with this little soul that didn't have a choice.

This mother was ill, for whatever reason she received no help. It may or may not be her "fault". She may or may not have had "choices"...we do not know her history. Either way she paid the ultimate price, at the end of the day no one judged her more harshly than she judged herself.

I agree. I am not saying that NG is making great choices. I am just defending her against those saying she should have these suicides on her conscience. I don't agree with that position at all.

But should she show a bit more compassion and understanding, of course. But as I said earlier, until someone else does a 5 night a week show devoted to missing kids and murder victims, i am going to respect her for doing so herself. And sadly, unless she creates some drama and hyperbole, she would probably go off the air.

I hear ya, but I don't respect her. jmo

I agree. I am not saying that NG is making great choices. I am just defending her against those saying she should have these suicides on her conscience. I don't agree with that position at all.

But should she show a bit more compassion and understanding, of course. But as I said earlier, until someone else does a 5 night a week show devoted to missing kids and murder victims, i am going to respect her for doing so herself. And sadly, unless she creates some drama and hyperbole, she would probably go off the air.

So....if you were part of publicly ridiculing, bashing and blaming (regardless of whether or not they were guilty) someone for something, and that person later went on to commit suicide, and that persons family said that YOUR comments devastated them, you would feel absolutely no remorse or twinge of conscience for your actions???

And I'm not talking about whether or not they committed any crime or wrong doing. I'm talking about you, as a person (not you really in this sense, just using "you" as a generic term) -- YOU would not feel any personal responsibility?? If you don't, then that means that you (again, not you, personally) are a hard-hearted callous person...a bully, really.
It would mean that you're saying, "Hey, so, I said those things...so what? So they committed suicide...wah, wah, wah." Is that really the type of person you are, really??? Are you that jaded and cruel???

The mom's family said that NG's comments devastated her. None of us will ever know if NG's comments played any role in her decision to commit suicide. I'm just saying, as I've maintained from the start, that I wouldn't want that on my conscience, personally....I wouldn't want any hint of "my comments (along with other factors) could have driven a person to kill themselves..."

I could totally see this woman, having made a horrible decision to drink, that then resulted in the death of her child, being consumed with guilt, and having a host of other emotional or addiction issues going on, being pushed over the edge through a combination of her own self-hatred and the scorn of the public, and committing suicide. And if my actions contributed to that in any way, I'd feel terrible. It's called having a conscience -- your know -- that little voice inside your head that holds you personally responsible for your actions, and how they affect others??

Does anyone know if she was drinking when she burned herself?

Does anyone know if she was drinking when she burned herself?

God, I hope so! I hope she was drunk enough to kill the pain a little.

I think most of us at WS know katydid23 well enough to say with some confidence that she is NOT heartless, she was merely arguing for a principle.

And oh_gal took pains to make it clear she was NOT calling katy heartless.

I mention this here because I want to second oh_gal's basic point that human beings can still merit our compassion, even when they do stupid, careless or even outright evil things.

Frankly, it's easy to feel compassion for the blameless. Our challenge in this world is to care about the others. IMO, obviously.

(And my personal thanks to oh_gal AND katydid23, because I needed to remind myself of the preceding sentence, having nothing to do with this case.)

God, I hope so! I hope she was drunk enough to kill the pain a little.

I think most of us at WS know katydid23 well enough to say with some confidence that she is NOT heartless, she was merely arguing for a principle.

And oh_gal took pains to make it clear she was NOT calling katy heartless.

I mention this here because I want to second oh_gal's basic point that human beings can still merit our compassion, even when they do stupid, careless or even outright evil things.

Frankly, it's easy to feel compassion for the blameless. Our challenge in this world is to care about the others. IMO, obviously.

(And my personal thanks to oh_gal AND katydid23, because I needed to remind myself of the preceding sentence, having nothing to do with this case.)

(above bbm)
I just wanted to reiterate...that I wasn't calling Katydid heartless...I know you mentioned that, but it never hurts to hear it from the the OP, herself. :)
I was using "you" in the general population sense.

I really wonder if she was on a drunk binge and lit herself on fire by accident .It happens all the time to drunks.She may have spilled her vodka on herself and then lit a cigarette.Either way her being dead does not mean she did not kill her child.If she decided to set herself on fire at least she made that choice.Her child did not make the choice to die,she made it for him. I have a heart for the victim and only the victim and that is the baby.

Well said, Oh_Gal! Well said.

IMHO, NG and/or her show, epitomizes what is wrong with this country today. And the shame is, she was probably raised better, but, it doing this to make the almighty dollar. Shame Shame MOO

The people Nancy Grace shows on her show are whats wrong with this country.Murderers,child molesters, those kinds of people who even if they were raised right decided to commit horrible crimes.IMO That is where the shame lies!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back