Dutch plan to ban burqas

southcitymom said:
Or pantyhose and high-heeled shoes?
It's obvious the burqa ban thing is about fear of terrorism.

You want to see the face of that Muslim woman to make sure it is a woman under there and not some suicide bomber.

This worries me. First it's free rein to do this, what's next? Crosses, Yarmalkas, then you can't express a certain sentiment. A dangerous precedent.

I don't feel it's for security at all, rather it's irrational fear. They have been wearing them since time out of mind and terrorist have been around almost as long. If were that big of an issue security wise it would have happened a long, long time ago.

And what's that hype that gets preached to us all the time? If you let fear guide you they've won?

Penelope631 said:
If someone robbed a bank or kidnapped a child wearing a Burqa how would any witness be able to identify them? :waitasec: humm let me see..they had brown eyes:waitasec:
and they were covered from head to toe in a potato sack..give me a break.. Do we allow nudist to roam the streets necked? they could say that it is their religious belief to not wear clothes.. maybe not quite the same thing but I hope ya get my point..Banks dont allow customers to wear mask in them to do business on halloween and neither do some other businesses, so why would it be ok for muslin women to wear a Burqa in a bank any day of the week?:banghead:
Hehehhe...well if a bank robber was nekkid it would be a lot easier to identify them. :crazy:

BhamMama said:
This worries me. First it's free rein to do this, what's next? Crosses, Yarmalkas, then you can't express a certain sentiment. A dangerous precedent.

I don't feel it's for security at all, rather it's irrational fear. They have been wearing them since time out of mind and terrorist have been around almost as long. If were that big of an issue security wise it would have happened a long, long time ago.

And what's that hype that gets preached to us all the time? If you let fear guide you they've won?
I fear nothing..but at the same time I would like to know who I am speaking with or doing business with, and Crosses, Yarmulkes are not the same thing. They don't conceal identity. I have no issues with their religion.

BhamMama said:

It is irrational fear.

It is a strange custom to encounter if you are from the west. But the reaction of banning the veil is extreme.

A Buddhist temple in a rural Oregon town found a burning cross on its lawn.

Why? Because of the red robes the community wears during ceremonies.

Penelope631 said:
I fear nothing..but at the same time I would like to know who I am speaking with or doing business with, and Crosses, Yarmulkes are not the same thing. They don't conceal identity. I have no issues with their religion.
No, not the same the way you are thinking, but, when you start taking away or dictating how others may, or may not, practise their religion because it makes you uncomfortable, the next step to saying well I dont like how Jews look, or Christians have no right to wear that cross, is a very small step indeed.

You see my sig line up there next to my name? Shoah, that's the Holocaust, Zachor, that's remember/remind you. It's there for the simple reason to remind ME of what was and how easily it was done. A reminder that if I am not vigilant about others rights, one day I may not have any.

This reminds me of the fact that it could happen again. Maybe not to Jews, but what about others? And are we really aware, or just afraid, or do we just not care because it isn't us...or us again?

And those who profess to believe in any G-d, or greater being, can not sit by while others are blamed for circumstances beyond their control, or condone the taking away of rights unless they are willing to give up a few of their own. Personally, I'm not ready to hand over any more of mine.

I don't feel like I have very many rights as it is. I don't care if some group that is known to be or could be radical loses a few of their rights. They don't deserve more rights than I have because they migrate to our countries. We have the right to tell them to shape up or ship out in times of war.

txsvicki said:
I don't feel like I have very many rights as it is. I don't care if some group that is known to be or could be radical loses a few of their rights. They don't deserve more rights than I have because they migrate to our countries. We have the right to tell them to shape up or ship out in times of war.

BhamMama said:

I don't blame you; I think we should all be cautious. But it is true that much public security is based on facial recognition, which is why we have security cameras.

Surely no one can deny they would be concerned if people started going around in public in "Nixon masks" or Lone Ranger masks. And rightfully so.

How do we provide for public security while allowing people to entirely disguise their appearance?

(Mama, I trust you recognize my hat and know I don't support banning any minority customs simply because they make others "uncomfortable." The Dutch are certainly not banning all displays of Muslim identity.)

windovervocalcords said:
It's obvious the burqa ban thing is about fear of terrorism.

You want to see the face of that Muslim woman to make sure it is a woman under there and not some suicide bomber.
I agree with you about this. I guess I have a hard time getting down with banning burqas because I don't fear terrorism. People who do are obviously going to feel differently about this.

southcitymom said:
I agree with you about this. I guess I have a hard time getting down with banning burqas because I don't fear terrorism. People who do are obviously going to feel differently about this.
I don't fear terrorism as much as I fear the loss of civil liberties, the precedent we have set for pre-emptive war and the rise of extreme reactionary movements in our country and throughout the world.

AWESOME!!!! WOW, i commend them for their bravery to stand up to the muslims... and to all the bleeding-heart wimps of the world. after all, if the muslims want to drag themselves back to the dark ages, go back to your own GD country and do it. why on earth do they want to be in the netherlands anyway...?? or france? or NYC? or london? or toronto? or michigan? or pennsylvania?

IF the netherlands (or, the US for that matter-) want to defend and protect their own customs and culture in their OWN country, then why the heII shouldn't they be able to?? maybe they'll have the guts to ban islam too- the world's most dangerous religion... before it takes over the entire world like a cancer.

reb said:
AWESOME!!!! WOW, i commend them for their bravery to stand up to the muslims... and to all the bleeding-heart wimps of the world. after all, if the muslims want to drag themselves back to the dark ages, go back to your own GD country and do it. why on earth do they want to be in the netherlands anyway...?? or france? or NYC? or london? or toronto? or michigan? or pennsylvania?

IF the netherlands (or, the US for that matter-) want to defend and protect their own customs and culture in their OWN country, then why the heII shouldn't they be able to?? maybe they'll have the guts to ban islam too- the world's most dangerous religion... before it takes over the entire world like a cancer.
Islam, a peaceable religion, is hardly in a position to take over the entire world.

ID of robber concealed with Burqa

Abdul Rasheed Khalid was alone in his Brampton jewellery store filling the display cases with yellow gold rings and necklaces when two people, one wearing a head-to-toe black burqa, appeared outside his locked door.

"Salamu alaikum," the 58-year-old store owner said after pushing the entry buzzer, believing them to be a Muslim couple. There was no reply, and seconds later the pair — both males — forced him at gunpoint to the back office where he was bound with duct tape and hit several times. Then his store was cleaned out.

Click

southcitymom said:
Islam, a peaceable religion, is hardly in a position to take over the entire world.
Ummm, I know what the Koran says - but as practiced, I would not call Islam a peaceable religion. It may not be true Islam, but it's what those who claim to be Muslims do - and I'm not talking about the terrorists. I'm talking about the Muslim theocracies.

Woman told to hide cross or lose job

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=NEWS&ct=5

They allow muslim woman to wear veils but this woman can't wear a cross.

This is what I'm talking about. Religious freedom!

Does anyone have numbers for how many crimes are committed by persons with cross tattoos or wearing a cross? To me it doesn't matter if ONE person wearing a veil commits a crime. Besides, that was a male wearing one, he could have easily have used a mask, a stocking or a hat and glasses.

We don't jerk those things out of stores just because someone uses them in the commission of a crime and they've been used thousands of times in that relation. This is not about hiding!

This is about the right to practise your religion in the way you please! This is what we of free worlds supposedly uphold. To make one group stop doing this is being hypocritial! They really, really believe that it is UnG-dly to go without one. I could not put myself in the place of dictating to someone how they choose to display their faiths, anymore than I'd like someone else to tell me to have a nose job because I look too ethnic! To me, that is the same exact thing.

BhamMama said:
Woman told to hide cross or lose job

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=NEWS&ct=5

They allow muslim woman to wear veils but this woman can't wear a cross.

This is what I'm talking about. Religious freedom!

I understand exactly what you're saying and in the US, this would never fly (head's up to the ACLU), but the burqua debate is about concealing identity, not about displaying a religious icon.

(My own personal feeling tells me it's misogyny, pure and simple, but that's not what is being debated and misogyny is not against the law)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back