Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Jury Trial - discussion *GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Hayes ‏@michaelhayes 1m1 minute ago
#Tsarnaev juror says war on terror is a "huge drain on our country."

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 2m2 minutes ago
"I can't imagine any evidence would change what happened and how I feel about what happened ...about the bombings."

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 1m1 minute ago
Juror #4 is allowed to leave courtroom, next is Juror #6, product manager at John Hancock, which sponsored the Marathon

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 24s24 seconds ago
One of Juror 6's co-workers was at the Marathon finish line. Wasn't injured. "He doesn't like to talk about it."

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 23s24 seconds ago
Can you still remain impartial? "I possibly could, yes."

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 51s51 seconds ago
6's cousin is a Tewksbury police officer. Said in survey he has "a great respect for police officers, put their lives at risk everyday."

Mike Hayes ‏@michaelhayes 7m7 minutes ago
#Tsarnaev juror says could only sentence the death penalty if "100%, no doubt guilt."

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 7m7 minutes ago
That's it for Juror 6, he's allowed to leave courtroom.

Mike Hayes ‏@michaelhayes 7m7 minutes ago
Two #Tsarnaev jurors in. No direct questions from the judge about Charlie Hebdo, Paris attacks.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 4m4 minutes ago
Juror 7 runs Italian deli with his wife, who is 5 1/2 mons pregnant. “It’s a hardship that....I don’t see it being feasible at this time.”

Mike Hayes ‏@michaelhayes 4m4 minutes ago
#Tsarnaev juror describes social media use, "Occasionally on the Instagram."

His brother is also a US Marine, not deployed right now.

Mike Hayes ‏@michaelhayes 35s36 seconds ago
#Tsarnaev juror says on a scale 1-10, views on the death penalty are a 5. They're looking for people in the middle.

Milton Valencia ‏@MiltonValencia 53s53 seconds ago
Juror 7 allowed to leave courtroom. Judge not saying out loud whether he's striking any for cause at this time.

Dozens Excused From Jury Pool In Marathon Bombing Trial

http://www.wbur.org/2015/01/12/tsarnaev-jury-selection-phase-two------
------------------

U.S. judge rejects request to delay Boston bombing trial

"Tsarnaev's lawyers on Tuesday had argued that the Paris attacks, which started with a mass shooting at a satirical newspaper and left 17 people dead after three days of violence, would stir memories of the deadly 2013 blasts at the marathon, making it harder to select an impartial jury..."

AA88rMU.img

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ury-selection-due-to-paris-attacks/ar-AA88mHu
------------

boston-290x300.jpg

Link: http://thetrialdiaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/boston-290x300.jpg
--------------

Thanks for the tweets Chelly :seeya:

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev trial: Jury selection continues Friday

"BOSTON - Jury selection resumes Friday in the trial of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

On Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge George O'Toole began the process of questioning each potential juror individually. He got through only 20 juror candidates, of 40 who had been called in..."

16704789-mmmain.jpg

http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/index.ssf/2015/01/dzhokhar_tsarnaev_trial_jury_s_1.html
-------------------

Boston Marathon Bombing Trial to Proceed as Scheduled

"BOSTON — A federal judge in Boston on Wednesday refused to delay the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the defendant in the Boston Marathon bombings, after defense lawyers cited the parallels between the bombings and last week’s terrorist attacks in France..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/u...rial.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes
---------------------

Court Winnows Jury Pool in Boston Marathon Bombing Trial

"BOSTON — One potential juror said his wife was an intensive care nurse who had treated victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. Another had posted comments on social media while his neighborhood was on lockdown during a manhunt for the suspects. Yet another said he could not imagine any evidence that would make him think the defendant was innocent — and his friends had told him it would be “cool” to impose the death sentence..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/us/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-boston-marathon-bombing-jury-trial.html
--------------

Possible Tsarnaev jurors give range of death penalty views

"In the trial of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one prospective juror, an account manager for a marketing firm, said nothing could change his mind about the guilt of the alleged Boston Marathon bomber, especially after his friends said it would be “cool” for him to serve on the jury, so that he could “sentence him to death.”..."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...l?hootPostID=b523a531e07e0eb2863ced436310db1d

-------------------

B7cdFZ0CAAApJdo.jpg

Link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7cdFZ0CAAApJdo.jpg
-----------

http://boston.cbslocal.com/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-trial-live-updates/

Jim Armstrong ✔ @JimArmstrongWBZ
juror 40: blogs for the educational non-profit she runs;
"I'm more into Twitter; I'm kind of a stalker on Facebook."
23m
juror 40 is married; her wife is an attorney.

juror 40 was at the Westin hotel in Copley on Marathon Monday; has sat on a state civil jury 4 years ago; also called last summer for jury.

Juror 40: strong advocate for mentoring, community service, work with kids; has published letters to the editor

40: "felt personally affected" by the bombings and was surprised to be called.
she's crying now....

juror 40: fights back tears as she explains how she knew Martin Richard and his family - just indirectly - and how she knew so many runners

40 is the most emotional juror yet; says she'd met bombing victim Martin Richard at a volunteer event once, but didn't know the family.

she had many friends running that day, holds back tears explaining how she frantically searched for them at finish line

judge asks #40 to step out so he can talk to lawyers.
she is not brought back

Juror 41: she knows a correctional dept. employee but in the HR dept.

Juror 41: has served on 2 juries, including one this past April. the other one was "years ago" she says.

Juror 41: has almost no idea about the terror attacks in Paris; All she knows is John Kerry is going over there for peace talks, she says

"Sometimes I try not to listen to the news because it's too depressing," juror 41 explains. #Tsarnaev

juror 41: has not formed opinion on guilt/innocence of #Tsarnaev; also says she is undecided on how she feels re: death penalty

"To me, i would have to hear the circumstances and the evidence," juror 41 says.
and she is done with questioning.

.@JetFanInMD done with questions for the day; has to call court to see if there's need to return.

juror 42: criminal justice professor and administrator; also trained in sociology and psychology; academic

juror 42: uses social media for professional reasons; rarely for personal. he sometimes comments on blogs.

Juror 42 has been following Paris attacks; doesn't think they've changed his opinion of the #Tsarnaev case.

42: also thinks " global war on terror" is "a little hypey to me", thinks it's been overblown "as a policy".

42 admits he has read through the entire #Tsarnaev indictment and court filings out of curiosity; "I find it interesting," he says.

42 read all the court paperwork about #Tsarnaev the night before he came for jury questionnaire - *because* he was called.

Jared Pliner ‏@JaredPliner 5m5 minutes ago
Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev is now looking down, into what appears to be a manila file folder
(https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q= Dzhokhar Tsarnaev &src=typd)

Juror 42: "I'm a researcher and a social scientist. I look at the evidence that's in front of me."

Juror 42: nuanced feelings about the death penalty. "There are value judgements that need to take place...It's more complicated."

juror 42: "The age of the defendant actually has some weight in my mind." There are mitigating circumstances, he explains. #Tsarnaev

Juror 42: "This was a horrendous crime, ok? Hundreds of thousands of peoples' lives were altered."

Juror 42: I saw this crime as a violation of all I hold dear He has run boston 4 times; 8 other marathons. running is very important to him

#Tsarnaev sips water as juror 42 continues with questioning. Lawyers not really targeting 42's stance on death penalty - which is conflicted

Jared Pliner ‏@JaredPliner 3m3 minutes ago
Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev drinks from a plastic cup as this back-and-forth about death penalty goes on.

42 announces he also gets a "significant amount of funding" for his research via the US Dept. of Justice.
he is now finished; 30 min. break

I came in late, so here's catch-up:

https://twitter.com/alyshanecn

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 4h 4 hours ago
Voir dire in the #Tsarnaev trial continues today with the 2nd panel of 20 jurors back in for individual questions. @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev defense attorney David Bruck asked to take up a matter with the judge before voir dire starts this morning. @NECN

#Tsarnaev is in court wearing either the same outfit or a similar outfit to yesterday @NECN

#Tsarnaev seems much more animated this morning talking to attorney Miriam Conrad @NECN

Judge O'Toole is in the courtroom and there's an immediate sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

We're still waiting for this morning's proceedings to start. We're more than 30 mins later than scheduled-same as yesterday @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 3h 3 hours ago
Back from sidebar and #Tsarnaev is being taken back out of the courtroom with no explanation. @NECN

We can now see video from courtroom 9 but still no audio. It's unclear what's going on. @NECN #Tsarnaev

We have been told we will get an explanation of what happened from the clerk shortly. @NECN #Tsarnaev

The sidebar was in reference to the video and audio feed issues from courtroom 9 yesterday @NECN #Tsarnaev

In the interest of keeping proceedings public, Judge Geroge O'Toole is allowing 2 members of the media to sit in courtroom 9 @NECN #Tsarnaev

The @AP will be inside the courtroom in case the feed to our overflow room goes out. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Throughout jury selection reporters will rotate into the 2 media seats in courtroom 9 @NECN #Tsarnaev

The #Tsarnaev defense made the request to allow at least the two reporters into the courtroom @NECN #Tsarnaev

We've learned the 2nd panel of jurors about to be brought in to will be 17 and not 20. @NECN #Tsarnaev

The second jury panel is being brought in now to be given instructions @NECN #Tsarnaev

This group of prospective jurors is 8 men and 9 women. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 2h 2 hours ago
#Tsarnaev appears to be avoiding eye contact with the jurors and not writing but drawing on a yellow legal pad @NECN

Juror 33 is a female whose husband is a @MassStatePolice trooper @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 33 says she thinks her husband's work might impact her ability to be impartial. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 33: "there was a police officer that was killed through this" & hard to ask her to be impartial with MSP husband @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 33 also has a nephew/godson who's a corrections officer locally @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 33 has served as a jury foreperson in a civil trial - says it's totally different than criminal trial @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 33 was asked to step out for a minute. We're now in sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Back from sidebar & juror 33 is done @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 is a male who works in state government @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge is now asking juror 35 about whether he's watched coverage of the terrorist attacks in France @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35: "you instructed us to look at all the evidence presented in front of us, that's my task" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 says media coverage of War on Terror has been overdone. Judge asking his to clarify @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 media coverage of war on terror is too in depth, too many experts diving in too deep. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 said on questionnaire "he would be honored to be eligible to serve" - said that's true of any case, not just #Tsarnaev @NECN

Juror 35 said he watched a lot about this case but listened to judge to just focus on facts of case before deciding guilt @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 went to @OneFundBoston fundraiser & contributed about $50-$75 shortly after marathon bombing @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 says he's not for or against the death penalty. Open to both death penalty or life in prison @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 says he's "committed myself to make a decision on all the evidence provided in the case" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 35 is done. Juror 37 is up next. A female who is concerned about an eye issue she has causing migraines @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 37 is quickly dismissed. Juror 38 is up next - he is concerned about losing time at work. He fixes computers @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 says his father worked for the Department of Defense. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 says he uses Facebook and is on there a couple times a week, not posting anything related to this case @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 on #Tsarnaev "the case is pretty much everywhere, online, on the news" & he lives near UMass-Dartmouth so it's in local paper @NECN

Juror 38 says of French terror attacks he tried to stay away from watching the news @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 said on questionnaire when he got jury summons he felt "stress & anger" - judge asks him to elaborate @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge: "do you still experience anger in regards to this case?" Juror 38: "yeah I think so" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 says a friend was a Boston police officer who was at the finish line when bombs went off, cousin at a medical tent @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 says he believes his friend was one of the officers in the Time Magazine photo taken right after 1st explosion @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38: he believes #Tsarnaev is guilty & should get death penalty, but says "maybe I would revise how I feel" after hearing facts @NECN

#Tsarnaev is looking down, apparently drawing something on a yellow legal pad, legs crossed @NECN

Juror 38 says at first that he would have to vote for death penalty, then says he guesses he would be open to life sentence @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge O'Toole is being VERY thorough trying to make sure that he's completely clear on a juror's death penalty views. @NECN #Tsarnaev

In a 1st for this jury selection process, the judge is allowing attorneys to question the juror directly @NECN #Tsarnaev

Prosecutor Bill Weinreb asked juror 38 to elaborate on his hardship mentioned about missing work to serve @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 1h 1 hour ago
Prosecutor Weinreb is now asking juror 38 about aggravating and mitigating factors & whether he would be able to weigh those @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev defense atty David Bruck asks again about the hardship saying once he's seated he can't change his mind @NECN

Juror 38 says the bombing was "needless, like yesterday with people blocking themselves on the road" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 elaborates "I don't get what any of that accomplishes" @NECN #Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev atty asked if juror 38 thought it was the defense burden to prove that he's not guilty - juror 38 says yes @NECN

Prosecutor clarifies that if he was instructed innocent until proven guilty could he follow that & juror 38 says yes @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 38 is done. Juror 40 is a former Peace Corps volunteer & she lived in Nepal for a time @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 40 says she works for a Boston tutoring program K-12 & her wife is an attorney. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 40 says she runs a blog, has 2 twitter accounts & is a Facebook "stalker" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 40 was a juror in a state civil case a few years ago & was called again last summer but wasn't put on a case @NECN #Tsarnaev

Juror 40 says she was at the Westin Hotel on Marathon Monday @NECN #Tsarnaev

--------------

All caught up :)

I am a pool reporter for this session of #Tsarnaev jury selection.
He just re-entered from lunch, says hello to lawyers by name.

Jared Pliner ‏@JaredPliner 4m4 minutes ago
Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev back in the room. Saunters in. Right hand in pocket.

Jared Pliner ‏@JaredPliner 3m3 minutes ago
Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev greeted lawyers' by name upon returning from lunch. Back in session

#Tsarnaev initially sits forward, interested in juror, now slouches back in chair, hand on beard, looks around room.

Juror 43: biologist in pharmaceutical industry, seldom uses social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$