Ecuador - August Reiger, 18, US student, Banos, 16 June 2013

I must have missed this video when it came out, but it is pretty informative.
[video=youtube;ic_1H5Pc86I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic_1H5Pc86I[/video]

A few items to note in this video:
1. There was an early sighting of August in the back of a truck heading north into the Amazon.
2. August went there to improve his Spanish.

Video sure shows how dense the trail was! Don't know what to think.

"The picture that you referenced looks like it was taken in a home, possibly his. I don't see how this is significant. It could have been taken by a friend or his parents." (excuse me embedding your quote somehow didn't work)

I don't know to me it looked more recent. I was wondering if someone took it after he went missing. I haven't seen that picture anywhere else.

And what does a credible sighting really mean? Picture proof? On surveillance camera somewhere? Or is it just: I'm pretty sure I saw a long-haired gringo recently?

And to those people saying why would anyone run off with his parents so close behind, I actually think it's quite clever. He was probably hoping they would just think he fell off somewhere which would also buy him some time to get further away.

Was he pissed off at his parents shortly before he disappeared? Is that why his parents thought he might have just skipped their scheduled lunch and went ahead to the hotel?

I'm sure what his aunt means is that there are missing posters ( ie pictures of him) on trees and in coffee shops.

Not sightings of him in trees and coffee shops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His aunt is talking about sightings of him in trees and coffee shops. The first picture they blend in is an old picture of him in a tree taken from his fb. But right after they show a picture of him and i was wondering if that second picture was taken by someone who recognized him? (1 min into the clip)

I think his aunt says "there are pictures of him ( as in Missing Posters) on trees and in coffee shops."

The pictures shown were taken prior to his disappearance.

His aunt is talking about sightings of him in trees and coffee shops. The first picture they blend in is an old picture of him in a tree taken from his fb. But right after they show a picture of him and i was wondering if that second picture was taken by someone who recognized him? (1 min into the clip)

I think his aunt says "there are pictures of him ( as in Missing Posters) on trees and in coffee shops."

The pictures shown were taken prior to his disappearance.

Oh silly me I understand now.

Sorry for double post by the way.
( I was struggling to use the 'quote' function, tried a second time, not realising first attempt had already posted )

Found this article from June of this year:

“He is a son, brother and high school valedictorian, but people who hear his name know August Reiger as the Oklahoma man who vanished on a trail 3,000 miles south of home.

[SBM]

No clues were left. Reiger's disappearance sparked fruitless searches, unconfirmed sightings and armchair theories.

He hiked ahead of his younger brother and his parents, Chris and Randa Reiger, along a trail that takes a few hours to loop. About 10 minutes behind him, when the family reached a pavilion at the top of the mountain, Reiger was gone.

[SBM]

‘The lack of information regarding this case is frustrating,’ said Mike Nance, a retired Tulsa cop who serves as an administrator overseeing Region 4 of the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, which includes Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.

[SBM]

After his retirement, Nance worked as a cold case and missing person investigator for an Oklahoma district attorney's office in the northeast part of the state.

Evidence of a kidnapping is lacking, Nance said. Several questions remain. What was Reiger's state of mind when he disappeared? What was the family dynamic?

Without having been to the location, Nance wants to know more about the experience level of those who were looking for Reiger.

‘I question the search,’ he said. ‘I would like to see the search plan and extent of the search. My belief is that August's body is in close proximity to the hiking trail and that some tragic accident occurred that caused him to perish.’” (BBM)
Five years later, Oklahoma City man August Reiger still missing

I didn’t realize that the rest of the family was “about 10 minutes behind him.” Somehow I always got the impression that they (his brother, especially, IIRC) were closer to August.

I do think that Mr. Nance is correct about what likely happened to August and the probable location of his remains. So very sad.

Accident or taken - it's a tossup for me.
I agree, Steve. I’m leaning towards accident.
I’ve also gone back and forth with the idea that maybe he doesn’t want to be found. Apparently he did extensive research on this area.

Either way, this disappearance has stayed on my mind since it occurred. Such a bright young man with so much ahead of him.

I agree, Steve. I’m leaning towards accident.
I’ve also gone back and forth with the idea that maybe he doesn’t want to be found. Apparently he did extensive research on this area.

Either way, this disappearance has stayed on my mind since it occurred. Such a bright young man with so much ahead of him.
Me too - and adding, I feel like we don't have all the facts; like we are not being told all the background details etc. This has happened with cases I've followed here and then see a show of TV about it and find there are details I never knew about or where mentioned here...

Has there been any updates or recent coverage? As a parent myself I’m thinking the family must have a guess that they are trying to accept. Why else would one cease publicizing? I can’t wrap my head around it although I feel as if he fell somehow, personally.

I just listened to a case where there was a trailer fire, complete destruction. 4 people (2 adults, 2 girls) were thought to be there but only one was recovered by police. Once the scene was cleared (days later) the parents of one of the missing children went to search the area themselves and found the other adult body. So obviously things can be missed. I can only imagine the increasing possibility in a jungle area.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back