Editing Posts

Oh, I see, it still doesn't achieve what I'm after, so I guess I'll have to make do with the forum the way it is. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was in need of such a feature recently. I can understand the reasoning and the limitations but it is sometimes useful to be able to go back and edit your post if you have made a mistake. I am not talking of completely altering it, just correcting it. In my case I realized I had posted an inaccuracy after later re-reading the facts of the case and wanted to go back and correct it. When you are following a case for a long time sometimes facts can get mixed up in your head. If you leave such a post unchanged, then you are unwittingly mixing up the facts in the minds of the other readers as well.
I've tried to fix it by quoting myself on another post and explaining the inaccuracy but it would have been more useful if we could have a feature like versioning that is attached on the original post so the reader doesn't get confused because the original post remains as is.

Hi. I wrote a post less than 12 hours ago but there's no edit button?

Hi. I wrote a post less than 12 hours ago but there's no edit button?
It's a short timeframe set within the Xenforo software (believed to be about 1 hour max) within which members can edit their own post. The reason for that is that when there are numerous responses to a post, if the OP edits the post, the responses may end up out of context.

(FWIW, under the previous software, members only had about a 10 minutes edit window)

It's a short timeframe set within the Xenforo software (believed to be about 1 hour max) within which members can edit their own post. The reason for that is that when there are numerous responses to a post, if the OP edits the post, the responses may end up out of context.

(FWIW, under the previous software, members only had about a 10 minutes edit window)
Hi, ah okay.

Btw I'm also very surprised there is no ability to delete a post?

Hi, ah okay.

In the 60-minute timeframe mentioned above, you can delete all content and replace it with the letters DBM (deleted by me).
I figured out it had to be 60 minutes very early on, within the first few days of joining WS.
Another thing, If you log out within that period, you then lose the ability to edit it yourself. IOW, you can't log out 5 minutes after the post and then log back on and expect to be able to edit it.
ETA: maybe it's 59 minutes, same thing really.

Last edited:
@ifindedout About four days ago, I noticed that the
'Edit menu' in the Post reply box (when doing a Post
Reply) has permanently become greyed out, and none of
the editing symbol/functions can be clicked on (yet,
strangely, I can click on the three vertical dots symbol
to see the extra editing functions, which are also greyed
out). This makes it impossible to do editing e.g. Quote
function, italics, bolding, linking. Luckily, the 'Attach
files' button at the bottom does still work. Am I the
only one experiencing this?
(Note; the Preview symbol still works, and the greyed
out Editing symbols are not due to me mistakenly being
in or out of Preview mode.)

@ifindedout About four days ago, I noticed that the
'Edit menu' in the Post reply box (when doing a Post
Reply) has permanently become greyed out, and none of
the editing symbol/functions can be clicked on (yet,
strangely, I can click on the three vertical dots symbol
to see the extra editing functions, which are also greyed
out). This makes it impossible to do editing e.g. Quote
function, italics, bolding, linking. Luckily, the 'Attach
files' button at the bottom does still work. Am I the
only one experiencing this?
(Note; the Preview symbol still works, and the greyed
out Editing symbols are not due to me mistakenly being
in or out of Preview mode.)
ETA: couldn't duplicate issue.

Last edited:
Hi, ah okay.

Similar to editing posts ... if members were allowed to delete a post because they changed their mind or whenever they felt like it, there could be umpteen responses (and responses to those responses) over pages and weeks of discussion that would then be out of context. Other members don't appreciate taking their time to put thought and research into their responses, only to have posts removed.

Always best to take time to compose a post so it isn't something that you'll regret at a later time for whatever reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back