Educator Gets Suspension For Calling Kids "Trailer Trash"

Alright, I found this and to be honest, I was upset when I read these posts. This story was very wrong, as the media put their own spin on the entire situation.
The kids that she sent the memo to, that very day in class, were speaking of a "boozing party" that they were going to attend that evening but were not going to invite several kids that they considered "Trailer trash". The teacher was attempting to teach a class at the time of this conversation, and these kids were talking at such a level that the teacher could barely think. She assigned book work, and sat behind her desk, thinking of how to get through to the kids. (She sent the memo to ten kids, but it as directed towards two kids, the two who had used the term "trailer trash" in class that day.)
This teacher, Mrs. Shipman, had known these kids for years, through 4-H, and was disappointed in how they had been behaving during school and during other related activities.
The memo was derogatory, and she admitted that she was in the wrong for sending it. At the same time, she was attempting to make a point by using a term that these kids had used themselves. Also, the phrase she used was "If you want to act like "trailer trash", I will treat you like "trailer trash". She never in fact called the kids trailer trash, but hinted that they had been behaving poorly. Also, the quotes mean that she was quoting them from earlier in the day.
And for those of you who were upset because she had "never lived in a trailer": She lived in a trailer for the first 13 years of her life, and was treated poorly because of it all through grade school. From that trailer, she moved into a house in even worse condition, and was once again insulted throughout high school.
I, once again, was appalled by the way my sister was spoken about. No, I am not sticking up for her only because she is my sister, and my best friend, but because she apologized for what she had done, but people who didn't even know the whole story found the need to discuss her character as if they knew her.

Also, her Parliamentary Procedure team will be traveling to the National Competition for the 5th time in 5 years. :crazy:

First, welcome. Thank you for coming on and giving a more "personal" account of this story.

Unfortunately, we don't get the luxury of personal reading into stories most of the time. So the only thing we CAN do is go on what's written in the public domain.

There are several of us here that have been or are teachers. And there are several of us who have lived in trailers most of our lives (I have never actually lived in a stick-built house). I know that for one, I have walked a ways in her shoes -- both personally and professionally from your description. I'm sorry if my opinions offended you as well, but I still believe them based on my own personal and professional experiences. Sometimes coming on a public forum one must have a thick skin and realize that everyone has an opinion -- and it may differ based on what they know/think/believe.

Also, I do have a question (from a professional standpoint). Why did she not get administration involved if they were completely unruly in class (which could really have stopped the whole situation) and were openly planning illegal activities? I know here we're required to report known illegal activity (planned or otherwise) to adminstration or face a loss of certification -- thus my question. Also, how does this affect tenure/certification for her? This is really a professional question for me -- I really do want to know.

First, welcome. Thank you for coming on and giving a more "personal" account of this story.

Unfortunately, we don't get the luxury of personal reading into stories most of the time. So the only thing we CAN do is go on what's written in the public domain.

There are several of us here that have been or are teachers. And there are several of us who have lived in trailers most of our lives (I have never actually lived in a stick-built house). I know that for one, I have walked a ways in her shoes -- both personally and professionally from your description. I'm sorry if my opinions offended you as well, but I still believe them based on my own personal and professional experiences. Sometimes coming on a public forum one must have a thick skin and realize that everyone has an opinion -- and it may differ based on what they know/think/believe.

Also, I do have a question (from a professional standpoint). Why did she not get administration involved if they were completely unruly in class (which could really have stopped the whole situation) and were openly planning illegal activities? I know here we're required to report known illegal activity (planned or otherwise) to adminstration or face a loss of certification -- thus my question. Also, how does this affect tenure/certification for her? This is really a professional question for me -- I really do want to know.

She never told the the full story in her board meeting, which is why the media's view was skewed. She went in there to protest having two days suspension when a teacher who had called a student "You ****ing dumb *advertiser censored*" only got one day. (In my opinion, being called a "****ing dumb *advertiser censored*" is much more offensive). Also, she attempted to protect these kids, who she had known for years (which she whole heartedly regrets now). Some of them had been with her since the beginning of her teaching career.
She did tell me last night on the phone (I am away at college when I heard about all of this) that she now wishes she would have called the disciplinary officer in instead of writing the memo. Though, the whole ordeal is in the past, and she is trying to move on, people on the streets still made rude comments about it.
The two kids who turned her in, the two who were causing the problems, have dropped out of her classes and refuse to speak to her.

I'll be honest, when I first read this, I was going to type some very rude things. As I thought about it, and read the posts over, I realized you weren't being mean on purpose, but because the whole story was not out in the open. I, once again, am not trying to stick up for her, but to tell the story that no one had heard.

Thank you for being so understanding in the whole situation. As for a thick skin, it runs in the family. :crazy:

She never told the the full story in her board meeting, which is why the media's view was skewed. She went in there to protest having two days suspension when a teacher who had called a student "You ****ing dumb *advertiser censored*" only got one day. (In my opinion, being called a "****ing dumb *advertiser censored*" is much more offensive). Also, she attempted to protect these kids, who she had known for years (which she whole heartedly regrets now). Some of them had been with her since the beginning of her teaching career.
She did tell me last night on the phone (I am away at college when I heard about all of this) that she now wishes she would have called the disciplinary officer in instead of writing the memo. Though, the whole ordeal is in the past, and she is trying to move on, people on the streets still made rude comments about it.
The two kids who turned her in, the two who were causing the problems, have dropped out of her classes and refuse to speak to her.

I'll be honest, when I first read this, I was going to type some very rude things. As I thought about it, and read the posts over, I realized you weren't being mean on purpose, but because the whole story was not out in the open. I, once again, am not trying to stick up for her, but to tell the story that no one had heard.

Thank you for being so understanding in the whole situation. As for a thick skin, it runs in the family. :crazy:

I'm glad that you realize that we wrote only on what we had in front of us. I'm sorry that she didn't get to tell the whole story, but I've been in that hot seat (only in a private school where the principal is the only one who HAS a say). I thought the punishment was a bit severe (especially in light of the other teacher's punishment). Perhaps something in her file but not a suspension. Suspensions for only be used for the most serious of offenses in professional circles.

It also makes me wonder just what the atmosphere of that particular school and system is -- sounds alot like the one I was at. I had a particular class that had already run off 11 teachers since kindergarten. Most of the kids made F's the first grading period, over half failed the classes I taught. I had parents blaming me for their kids failing, even to the point that one chased me down at a ball game. She cried and screamed at me for about 10 minutes about how I "ruined" her son's life because I failed him in two of five classes (the kid had TWO study halls and still had F's?!). I just walked off and then the kid was allowed to drop BOTH classes -- although he did have to repeat the entire grade.

I know that I could comiserate with her; I was in her shoes more than once with the aforesaid principal. I honestly think that had I went public or someplace with a different circumstance set I'd still be teaching and be excited about it. I was a new teacher that tried to use new techniques in a school where the principal/superintendent hadn't taught in a classroom since 1974 and thought that the ONLY way for kids to learn was in straight rows with you reading off fact after fact after fact. I just couldn't do that, so I'm moving on now. And I understand exactly how she feels about trying to move on -- it is VERY difficult because the first reference the go for is the personnel officer at the school where you had the problem.

Also, if she decides to move, please warn her ahead of time to make sure she gets her whole story in her mind so she can explain it to a board interview. States these days are getting big on ethics policies (which is partially the problem I have had in getting a job again and thus being disgusted), and any little thing in your file is a BIG problem. I guess it's because schools are such prime targets for lawsuits these days.

I hope the best of luck to her and you in your studies. If either of you want to ask, you can pm me here.

As a retired teacher, I know that things are not always as they seem. I hope things work out for her and the students in her class.:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back