Egypt Air flight 804 missing, 19 May 2016

Clear weather but lots of shipping and NATO assets in the area so if it is in the water, it should be found fairly quickly. PPRUNE poster pointed out that all it takes for a plane to disappear is the transponder switched off so it may still be in the air... somewhere...

It has been reported by verified news stations on Twitter that there were 3 security personnel onboard. Is that normal?

I think over there yes...................

Anyone know what model it is?

No problems at takeoff from officials, officals are claiming no hazardous cargo aboard MSNBC

Another expert saying there is a ton of radar in that area, stating that military radar is intense in that area as well.

According to flight radar this plane flew Asmara (Eritrea) - Cairo (Egypt) - Tunis (Tunisia) - Cairo - Charles de Gaulle (France) prior to this missing leg. Interesting list of countries where ground security may not be as strong.

"Anyone know what model it is?"

Some confusion CNN initially reported a Boeing 737-800 but appears to be an A320. This will raise discussion of terrorism, safety of Airbus vs Boeing and conspiracy of hijacked plane per MH17. Take any scenario and it is horrendous for the passengers and their families and overall confidence in air safety.

Thinking of the passengers and their families at this time.

According to flight radar this plane flew Asmara (Eritrea) - Cairo (Egypt) - Tunis (Tunisia) - Cairo - Charles de Gaulle (France) prior to this missing leg. Interesting list of countries where ground security may not be as strong.

That is bothersome huh?

"Anyone know what model it is?"

Some confusion CNN initially reported a Boeing 737-800 but appears to be an A320. This will raise discussion of terrorism, safety of Airbus vs Boeing and conspiracy of hijacked plane per MH17. Take any scenario and it is horrendous for the passengers and their families and overall confidence in air safety.

Thinking of the passengers and their families at this time.

Yea I am hearing A320 also wondering what version of A320 it is

I just pray for those souls aboard and their families. As a former flight attendant, these incidents always hit close to my heart.

Sadly, I have a feeling this was deliberate and likely some type of surface to air downing situation due to the location of the flight and the phase of flight. I think considering the security on board, recent incidents and the general awful climate for humanity in the Middle East, obviously some type of attack is at the back of my mind.

I hope and pray that I'm wrong but instant disappearances from radar, flying in/near ME countries and/or South and Southeast Asia have not ended well.

As a half-Frenchie who lived in Paris at one time this is doubly-hard to take in.

[As an aside the US Intelligence community is well-aware that terrorist groups and other nepharious actors in the region have access to both RPGs and other surface to air weaponry that could easily take our an A320, depending on its actual flight level (aka altitude). Sadly, much weaponry was left behind, mostly when abandoned on the battlefield in the ME by coalition forces. They have inventoried weaponry that has been moved out of places we are no longer actively involved but a plethora of perfectly usable weaponry was not included in that inventory when abandoned on the battlefield, after an attack, etc)]

Hoping and praying that I'm wrong. I'm tired of the hate, destruction and hell that some humans insist on inflicting upon others. It's absolutely devastating raising my young boys in this current climate, I genuinely fear for their future.

. They fly to 78 destinations.

The only A320 they have bought is the 200 series. They have 11 of them.

Over 3900 of the whole series flying now. Total orders 8089.

Aircrafts ceiling (highest can go) is 39000

The airline has a 5 out of 7 in safety ratings.

Started in 1933

http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/83/egyptair-and-egyptair-express

http://www.airlines-inform.com/commercial-aircraft/airbus-a320.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=egyptair fleet size

Previous poster, regarding that this was the aircrafts 5th segment for the day is typical - but concerning in this instance as it relates, IMo, to that part of the world.

My biggest fear is when flying over the ocean.Things keep happening right before we have to fly again,leaving soon for Brussels and returning from Charles de Gaulle.This does not sound good,Egypt is a dangerous place and many Europeans are on holiday right now.

Same here, cuffem. Have family flying from Europe to US this weekend. Am not a happy camper right now. :(

Praying for the 69 souls on board. :(

Praying for the 69 souls on board. :(

When handing in my final passenger count as an FA, calling out the number of souls aboard to the CA and FO always gave me chills. It's the terminology used in the industry but right before that door closes and you hand off that final paperwork the ground crew, it just seems morbid. Being that I was a FA I know/knew how safe airline travel is however, the terminology really brought home that these souls [mine included] were now at the mercy of whatever that aircraft might encounter and it's a chilling thought.

This plane was purchased in Nov 2003

SU-GCC reg number

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/EgyptAir

This 969,100 sq. mile body of water is approximately 2,300 miles in length, and has a maximum depth of 16,896 ft.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how deep is the mediteraain sea

15 family members at airport. Emergency services had to be called to help some of the family members MSNBC

Entering 5 hours now..............

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosthrough
Back