Enterprise, AL--High School destroyed by tornado, kids trapped

Just heard that, Peter...this is just terrible. :( :( :(

We have lots of relatives in various parts of Alabama -- Birmingham, Montgomery, Auburn. I sure hope that everyone is safe. I always thought that schools were built sturdy. I wonder why so many were hurt and/or killed. :(

englishleigh said:
Just heard that, Peter...this is just terrible. :( :( :(

Glad to see you posting. Was a little worried about storms in your path. It seems Atlanta is OK the turbulence is at 10,000 feet now not close. Rain all day kept it away. I am so sorry about the children and others in Alabama.Such a sad day for so many families.

The footage on this is just awful. These poor people.

JBean said:
The footage on this is just awful. These poor people.
They've amended the death toll:

Tornadoes rip through Ala., killing 7

ENTERPRISE, Ala. - Tornadoes ripped through Alabama and killed at least seven people Thursday, including five at a high school where students became pinned under debris when a roof collapsed, state officials said.

Crews dug through piles of rubble beneath portable lights at Enterprise High School well into the night, looking for other victims. In the chaotic hours after the storm, reports of the death toll varied wildly, at one point reaching as high as 18 dead.

With the search continuing, "the exact number is honestly not known," said John Pallas, the Coffee County emergency management director in Enterprise.

The burst of tornadoes was part of a larger line of thunderstorms and snowstorms that stretched from Minnesota to the Gulf Coast. Authorities blamed a tornado for the death of a 7-year-old girl in Missouri, and twisters were reported in Kansas.

A tornado damaged the Sumter Regional Hospital in Americus in southwest Georgia, hospital spokesman Ed Farr said. The state emergency management agency reported injuries and two deaths there, but Farr said he could not confirm that because the hospital was busy moving patients.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_on_re_us/tornadoes

I guess they have ammended the death toll again. This is terrible.

NEWTON, Ga. - A violent storm system that ripped apart an Alabama high school as students hunkered inside later tore through Georgia, hitting a hospital and raising the death toll to at least 19 across the Midwest and Southeast.
Eight teenagers died when a tornado struck Enterprise High School in Alabama, blowing out the walls and collapsing part of the roof, Mayor Kenneth Boswell said Friday.

In parts of Enterprise, "it looks like ground zero, where there's just nothing left," Boswell told NBC's "Today" show. Another person was killed elsewhere in the city.

In Georgia, a tornado apparently touched down near the Sumter Regional Hospital in Americus, 117 miles south of Atlanta, killing at least two people there and injuring an undetermined number of others, said Buzz Weiss of the Georgia Emergency Management Agency. Hospital spokesman Ed Farr said by telephone that a tornado had struck the building but had no time to discuss details.

"We're trying to move patients and trying to stabilize things for our patients," Farr said.

Six more people were killed late Thursday in the town of Newton, in Baker County, and several homes were destroyed, Fire Chief Andy Belinc said early Friday.

more at the link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_on_re_us/tornadoes

concernedperson said:
Glad to see you posting. Was a little worried about storms in your path. It seems Atlanta is OK the turbulence is at 10,000 feet now not close. Rain all day kept it away. I am so sorry about the children and others in Alabama.Such a sad day for so many families.

Thanks so much for worrying about me, CP! :blowkiss: We were very lucky here in east 'Bama, just got a ton of rain and wind. Just found out this morning that a family we used to know now lives in Enterprise and has two teenage daughters...my mom is trying to find out this morning if they are okay. :(

The funerals have begun for the 8 Enterprise HS students killed last week in the tornado. Accounts of the first two here...all the obits linked in the right column.

http://www.dothaneagle.com/

I'm thinking about this again today. My daughter is a freshman in HS this year and in band, and her brand new band director came from Enterprise High School...was there when the tornado hit last year. Last night we traveled down to Enterprise to play them in football, and en route I called my dad to tell him we were going...he told me that my stepmother taught one of the girls who was killed, Katie Strunk, in preschool years ago, and that she had just realized this in the last couple weeks.

When we arrived, it was to play in the re-built stadium. What a nice city Enterprise is...the people were so nice and welcoming and in the address to the crowd prior to the game, there was a prayer and part of it was thanking God "for the blessings that have NEVER left Enterprise High School." It was very inspirational to see how strong they all are after what happened. The school is still being re-built at this time...we arrived at dusk so I didn't see where the school had been, but I know it was very near. Just all so very sad still but the people of Enterprise are amazing! :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back