Escape by Carolyn Jessop

I am nearly through with this book, but there is an inconsistency that I must point out.

When Carolyn Jessop appeared on TV interviews, I specifically remember her telling that Merril "broke the children" by holding their heads under water until they were too exhausted to cry anymore.

This act was never mentioned in her book. Since she talks freely of all Merril's transgressions, I can't imagine that she would omit this act of cruelty, if it did happen. It just makes me wonder what else she left out in telling her story.

Hi Pepper. I also wondered this same thing. I read the book and couldn't believe she didn't mention this in her book.

"Stolen Innocence" hit bookstore shelves on Tuesday, detailing Wall's life in the FLDS Church, her decision to leave and testify against Jeffs.
Wall's testimony about her marriage at age 14 to her 19-year-old cousin led to Jeffs' conviction in Utah on charges of rape as an accomplice. He is serving two five-to-life sentences. Wall has also filed a civil lawsuit against Jeffs and the FLDS Church.

"Elissa Wall wrote 'Stolen Innocence' to call attention to the plight of young FLDS girls whose ability to make choices is too often lost and who are at risk of being coerced into illegal 'spiritual marriages,"' Hoole said in his statement. "Recent events in Texas highlight the importance and timeliness of her story as an FLDS girl."
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700226893,00.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back