Expanding Dr.Wecht's series of events...

vlpate,
The R's possibly thought, for whatever reason, that their best chance was to hide JonBenet in the wine-cellar, hope she was not found, then they might have an opportunity to get away later that morning..

Well, once they decided it was a kidnapping, doesn't she have to be hidden in the wine cellar - or somewhere - so that it looks like she is missing?

Whether or not they thought they would get away, she has to be hidden somewhere so that the kidnapping scenario is viable. That's why there is a ransom note. And Patsy says, "We have a kidnapping".

Well, once they decided it was a kidnapping, doesn't she have to be hidden in the wine cellar - or somewhere - so that it looks like she is missing?

Whether or not they thought they would get away, she has to be hidden somewhere so that the kidnapping scenario is viable. That's why there is a ransom note. And Patsy says, "We have a kidnapping".

Yes.

If you imagine the situation they were in -- that of staging a crime-- they had limited options. They couldn't leave the house and dump the body. So, they had to place it somewhere in the home.

The ransom note established the line of defence -- intruder(s) did it all. And if intruder(s) did, where would be the logical place for intruders to have the body. The dark, obscure cellar seems logical. It fitted in with the fact the 'baddies' were in the house in the basement and came in and out of the windows perhaps. Putting the body in that part of the house seemed logical.

Also, if the body was placed somewhere noticeable it would mean the Ramseys couldn't spin the intruder theory so much. They wake up, find the body and the ransom note yet the ransom note --predicated upon having the body for ransom-- is immediately contradicted by a 'found' body. And the Police would see this too.

I agree. As I have said before, I feel they planned all along to bring her out of the basement AFTER police left the house and they were alone there. What they didn't realize was that police were not going to just go away and leave them there alone in an active crime scene and I don't think they saw that coming. I think they placed her in the WC, the most hidden room in the house- a room that many people who knew them and had been in that house did not even know existed. While Officer French did find the room, he failed to see the latch and did not open the door. FWm who also found the room (or knew it was there anyway) and failed to find the light switch, resulting in him not seeing her (or maybe her not being in a place where she could be seen).
If I recall, JR seemed upset to learn that FW had been in the basement earlier and had looked in the WC. Not something you'd think an innocent parent of a "missing" child would be upset about, right? I mean, if she was "kidnapped", she wasn't supposed to be IN the house anyway, so why be upset with FW? He was a friend, searching the house for clues to your daughter's kidnapping- and a friend that you yourself called over that morning, against the RN's instructions.
At that point, as the hours went by and JR saw that LE was not going anywhere, he knew he had to "find" her, or else the house would be locked up with her decaying body in the basement. The smell would alert neighbors in a few days and by then, JB would be in a horrific state of decomposition. No open coffin in a tiara and pageant dress. And they'd be asked to identify the body if possible. This was a scenario NO parent, even a guilty one, would want to go through. So when Det. Ardnt inadvertently gave him the opportunity, he RAN to that wineceller.
I have seen speculation about why JR would "find" her himself. That's why. It wasn't his original plan. They planned to say she had been "returned" dead because the kidnappers knew they had called police (and half the town).

I agree. As I have said before, I feel they planned all along to bring her out of the basement AFTER police left the house and they were alone there. What they didn't realize was that police were not going to just go away and leave them there alone in an active crime scene and I don't think they saw that coming. I think they placed her in the WC, the most hidden room in the house- a room that many people who knew them and had been in that house did not even know existed. While Officer French did find the room, he failed to see the latch and did not open the door. FWm who also found the room (or knew it was there anyway) and failed to find the light switch, resulting in him not seeing her (or maybe her not being in a place where she could be seen).
If I recall, JR seemed upset to learn that FW had been in the basement earlier and had looked in the WC. Not something you'd think an innocent parent of a "missing" child would be upset about, right? I mean, if she was "kidnapped", she wasn't supposed to be IN the house anyway, so why be upset with FW? He was a friend, searching the house for clues to your daughter's kidnapping- and a friend that you yourself called over that morning, against the RN's instructions.
At that point, as the hours went by and JR saw that LE was not going anywhere, he knew he had to "find" her, or else the house would be locked up with her decaying body in the basement. The smell would alert neighbors in a few days and by then, JB would be in a horrific state of decomposition. No open coffin in a tiara and pageant dress. And they'd be asked to identify the body if possible. This was a scenario NO parent, even a guilty one, would want to go through. So when Det. Ardnt inadvertently gave him the opportunity, he RAN to that wineceller.
I have seen speculation about why JR would "find" her himself. That's why. It wasn't his original plan. They planned to say she had been "returned" dead because the kidnappers knew they had called police (and half the town).

Interesting.

Whilst I don't know what the Ramseys intended to do, I am left feeling that they 'rolled with it' in the sense they opportunistically did whatever was believed to be in their best interests. They were hustlers!

I mean, who, barely half-an-hour after finding their dead little girl in their home, is on the phone booking a flight take-off? Weird.

'Finding' the body also gave them the perfect excuse -- in front of LE-- to explain why any evidence was found on their little girl.

My understanding of EA is that the asphyxiation is usually self induced, by a male. It's possible the perpetrator found "excitement" in strangling his victim, but I'm not sure this is properly called EA.

The head blow and "garroting" come too close together to say with certainty which came first. I think it unlikely that the head bash was for the purpose of silencing a scream. If the airway was restricted there could not have been much screaming, and a hand over the mouth would be just as effective, and less apt to cause death. (I'm assuming killing JBR, intentionally, was not part of the plan for the evening's "entertainment".)

Another problem with the Wecht theory is that we have a largely innocent P who in a mere few hours after finding her daughter brutally killed agrees to participate in a cover up. If she was not involved prior to the death of JBR I doubt she'd participate in the cover up.

P wrote the RN, and fiber evidence places her in the basement that night as well, so it's likely she helped with the staging.

It seems likely to me that JBR was killed (or at least gravely injured) in her bedroom. The basement is just staging.

An intruder has no reason to wipe down the body or re-dress it. An intruder only needs to get out of Dodge at that point.

There is no way the killer(s) could count on the body not being found quickly. Anyone anticipating the actions of the police after the 911 call would have to expect a K9 unit. This didn't happen, but that could not have been counted upon. This means that if it was an inside job, the killer(s) could not have counted on several hours passing prior to the discovery of the body. If it was an intruder/kidnapper (and it wasn't) they could not have anticipated actually collecting ransom because they'd have to figure on the body being found fairly quickly after the child's disappearance.

Placing the body in the WC is the only way to make the RN "believable" even for a short period of time. The 911 call could not have been placed with the "apparent" belief that the child had been abducted unless the body was hidden away, out of sight.

Motive can't always be determined prior to solving the crime. Nobody fits the profile of a killer until they become a killer.

Chrishope,
My understanding of EA is that the asphyxiation is usually self induced, by a male.
Yes, put David Carradine and EA into a search engine and its mostly male links, but some females indulge too.

It's possible the perpetrator found "excitement" in strangling his victim, but I'm not sure this is properly called EA.
There is a paraphilia with this feature, its a trait of a sadistic personality.

Placing the body in the WC is the only way to make the RN "believable" even for a short period of time. The 911 call could not have been placed with the "apparent" belief that the child had been abducted unless the body was hidden away, out of sight.
JonBenet could have been placed beneath the floorboards or hidden inside some container elsewhere in the house, e.g. water-tank. The wine-cellar is not unique.

Motive can't always be determined prior to solving the crime. Nobody fits the profile of a killer until they become a killer.
Some can, particularly those with a sexual component. Occassionally you have a serial killer who exhibits both traits, but has grown to like the killing more than the sexual aspect. Consider the Long Beach Killings. Consider all those young girls kidnapped of the street never to be seen again, some of those that are found, bear signs of sexual trauma.

If there were no sexual component to JonBenet's death, then the R's might have sought medical assistance they did not, which suggests the initial motivation was one of sexual gratification. If this has been staged then its a classic domestic violence case fabricated to look like a rape and kidnapping scenario?

It's so obvious that if this wasn't the tragic killing of a child, it would be laughable.
I mean- if she was REALLY kidnapped, she would really be missing- i.e. not in the house.
But if the RN is fake and really intended to just SAY she was kidnapped (because she was never going to be seen alive again, as she was already dead when the note was written), then hiding her body in the WC until police (supposedly) left makes perfect sense. And it vexes me that no one in LE has though of this.

I really like that word....vex.

It's so obvious that if this wasn't the tragic killing of a child, it would be laughable.
I mean- if she was REALLY kidnapped, she would really be missing- i.e. not in the house.
But if the RN is fake and really intended to just SAY she was kidnapped (because she was never going to be seen alive again, as she was already dead when the note was written), then hiding her body in the WC until police (supposedly) left makes perfect sense. And it vexes me that no one in LE has though of this.

I get ya.

The Ramseys hoped that LE would buy the whole kidnapping thing and eventually leave the home. And when they left, then the Ramseys could move the body.

Interesting.

Whilst I don't know what the Ramseys intended to do, I am left feeling that they 'rolled with it' in the sense they opportunistically did whatever was believed to be in their best interests. They were hustlers!

I mean, who, barely half-an-hour after finding their dead little girl in their home, is on the phone booking a flight take-off? Weird.

'Finding' the body also gave them the perfect excuse -- in front of LE-- to explain why any evidence was found on their little girl.

Let_Forever_Be,
I reckon the R's were on the cellphone early that morning taking advice on how to move forward.

Was it a conspiracy, was the response credible for a kidnapping in a wealthy residential area? Did upper lea management know what should have happened but those on shop floor mess it up, e.g. they never found JonBenet, or is the latter evidence that disconfirms any conspiracy?

JR, does because he has already factored this possibility into his plans, just as relocating Burke was part of his plans. JR is exhibiting all the classic signs of a gulity man who wishes to leave town as soon as possible!

Whilst I don't know what the Ramseys intended to do,
Neither do I. But if you list their percieved options, then consider how they behaved, I reckon you come close to intuiting their intentions.

Option 1. LEA Respond, find JonBenet within 30 minutes, then arrest all three Ramseys!

Option 2. LEA Respond, body not found, wait until deadline, Ramseys left alone in the house while LEA extend the search area. Later that night the Ramsey's leave town and fly of to some other state.

Option 3. LEA Respond, body not found, wait until deadline, Ramseys left alone in the house while LEA extend the search area. Later that night the Ramsey's phone LEA reporting that someone had knocked at their door and when they opened it, JonBenet was lying on the doorstep?

OUTCOME: none of the above; LEA Respond, Body not found. Burke relocated, JR finds the body, JR wants to fly out of Boulder immediately!

As you suggest some of JR's actions appear ad-hoc, but relocating Burke does not because it is so early in unfolding of the Abduction Scenario.

DeeDee249,
And it vexes me that no one in LE has though of this.
Maybe they did, but its not been made public, although I agree with you, its kind of obvious?

If there were no sexual component to JonBenet's death, then the R's might have sought medical assistance they did not, which suggests the initial motivation was one of sexual gratification. If this has been staged then its a classic domestic violence case fabricated to look like a rape and kidnapping scenario?

"Sexually motivated homicide".

Uk Guy, it is interesting that you are often pointing out that you believe this to be a "Sexually motivated homicide", but are very adamant about the fact that the stick and rope could never ever be an EA device, or used for any associated purpose....

I'm not saying it was one way or the other. But why does the sexually motivated homicide have to be your way? An EA death IS a sexually motivated homicide, is it not...

Yeah, yeah, I already know the fine points that you are black and white about.

...I'm just saying. It's interesting to note that your sexually motivated homicide could not have been done the way others say, but yet, is still sexually motivated. Whatevs.

DeeDee249,
If I recall, JR seemed upset to learn that FW had been in the basement earlier and had looked in the WC.
In what sense do you think, JR was upset?

In staged crime-scenes, one of the known features is that in, approximately 90% of cases the perpetrator deliberately finds the body.

They planned to say she had been "returned" dead because the kidnappers knew they had called police (and half the town).
I reckon they would have left town ASAP. All that forensic evidence, e.g. the size-12's, the hidden sexual assault, and whatever the LEA know that we do not about the contents of JonBenet's underwear drawer? Would have been still to be revealed.

Let_Forever_Be,
I reckon the R's were on the cellphone early that morning taking advice on how to move forward.
I've heard about this too. If evidence exists which could bolster this speculation it would certainly be interesting and put a new spin on things. The idea that outside help was called may bolster the Burke did it theories.

Was it a conspiracy, was the response credible for a kidnapping in a wealthy residential area? Did upper lea management know what should have happened but those on shop floor mess it up, e.g. they never found JonBenet, or is the latter evidence that disconfirms any conspiracy?

Good questions.

JR, does because he has already factored this possibility into his plans, just as relocating Burke was part of his plans. JR is exhibiting all the classic signs of a gulity man who wishes to leave town as soon as possible!

Yes. He wants to 'put distance' between himself and the crime. It's 'too hot' for him.

Neither do I. But if you list their percieved options, then consider how they behaved, I reckon you come close to intuiting their intentions.

Option 1. LEA Respond, find JonBenet within 30 minutes, then arrest all three Ramseys!

Option 2. LEA Respond, body not found, wait until deadline, Ramseys left alone in the house while LEA extend the search area. Later that night the Ramsey's leave town and fly of to some other state.

Option 3. LEA Respond, body not found, wait until deadline, Ramseys left alone in the house while LEA extend the search area. Later that night the Ramsey's phone LEA reporting that someone had knocked at their door and when they opened it, JonBenet was lying on the doorstep?

OUTCOME: none of the above; LEA Respond, Body not found. Burke relocated, JR finds the body, JR wants to fly out of Boulder immediately!

As you suggest some of JR's actions appear ad-hoc, but relocating Burke does not because it is so early in unfolding of the Abduction Scenario.

Regarding Burke. I have tended to say he wasn't involved as per what my theory suggests. But ofcourse, a different theory could implicate him e.g. parents covering for him.

It makes sense to distance him from the crime scene for several reasons:
1. If he was was innocent, the drama of the house must have been intense. Parents were acting in his interests.Sending Burke to the Whites house could be innocent from the perspective of the parents.
2. Parents knew JonBenet would have to be found so wanted him out the way (both if he was innocent or involved).
3. If he was guilty of some wrong-doing, getting him out of the way made it less likely he would talk.

"Sexually motivated homicide".

Uk Guy, it is interesting that you are often pointing out that you believe this to be a "Sexually motivated homicide", but are very adamant about the fact that the stick and rope could never ever be an EA device, or used for any associated purpose....

I'm not saying it was one way or the other. But why does the sexually motivated homicide have to be your way? An EA death IS a sexually motivated homicide, is it not...

Yeah, yeah, I already know the fine points that you are black and white about.

...I'm just saying. It's interesting to note that your sexually motivated homicide could not have been done the way others say, but yet, is still sexually motivated. Whatevs.

Whaleshark,
Of course it is, by definition, I have no problem with that, in fact it underlines that JonBenet's death, whichever theory you support, is likely to be a sexually motivated homicide.

EA or not, we have the Coroner reporting what has become termed as Genital Trauma, which leaves open the element of staging. Then we have JonBenet being killed after this assault. That is the usual description of a sexually motivated homicide.

IMO the EA component is a secondary feature, alike the size-12's or the restraints, it does not detract from my view of regarding the motivation behind JonBenet's death, except that I reckon the garrote is pure staging.

Let_Forever_Be,

I've heard about this too. If evidence exists which could bolster this speculation it would certainly be interesting and put a new spin on things. The idea that outside help was called may bolster the Burke did it theories.

Good questions.

Yes. He wants to 'put distance' between himself and the crime. It's 'too hot' for him.

Regarding Burke. I have tended to say he wasn't involved as per what my theory suggests. But ofcourse, a different theory could implicate him e.g. parents covering for him.

It makes sense to distance him from the crime scene for several reasons:
1. If he was was innocent, the drama of the house must have been intense. Parents were acting in his interests.Sending Burke to the Whites house could be innocent from the perspective of the parents.
2. Parents knew JonBenet would have to be found so wanted him out the way (both if he was innocent or involved).
3. If he was guilty of some wrong-doing, getting him out of the way made it less likely he would talk.

Let_Forever_Be,
Relocating Burke, is a curious one. It could be a mixture of both 1. and 2.

Number 3. is less likely since the parents are leaving themselves as hostages to fortune, since Burke might break down crying saying I did it, I never meant to kill her etc. If he is guilty its better he is in the parents company so they can chaperone him, and shield him from awkward questions?

I think JR thought whatever the outcome I do not want Burke to observe what happens, e.g. Parents arrested, or JonBenet being found. He was at this point thinking tactically e.g. with Burke safe, he and PR could deal with the outcome in their own way, even if that means flying off without Burke!

Dr Wecht has me rethinking a few things. Like, what kind of woman would cover for her husband murdering her child? All I can think of, is one who is already used to covering for him. Someone wrote in an earlier post, that serial killers, rapists, etc...start small and then work their way up. This is a theory I happen to believe. So, with that in mind, could a wife do the same thing? cover for small things, and gradually work her way up to covering for bigger things? and in the process, become desensetized to a lot of trauma? Hypothetically, if a woman could learn to live with her daughter being molested, then her being murdered, wouldn't be as shocking or traumatic, as it would be to the average mother. It's an interesting train of thought.

Dr Wecht has me rethinking a few things. Like, what kind of woman would cover for her husband murdering her child? All I can think of, is one who is already used to covering for him. Someone wrote in an earlier post, that serial killers, rapists, etc...start small and then work their way up. This is a theory I happen to believe. So, with that in mind, could a wife do the same thing? cover for small things, and gradually work her way up to covering for bigger things? and in the process, become desensetized to a lot of trauma? Hypothetically, if a woman could learn to live with her daughter being molested, then her being murdered, wouldn't be as shocking or traumatic, as it would be to the average mother. It's an interesting train of thought.

Very interesting thoughts. I've got to share that I too ask myself the same questions you do.

What if Patsy was the one who was doing the molestation? Women do that too although it is more common for men. There's been speculation that Patsy was sexually abused when younger (anyone have sources/links?) and it is very common for the abused to become the abusive.

Some people have pondered that perhaps Patsy had Munchausen by proxy syndrome -- JonBenet was at the doctors for problems in her genital region over 40 times in a short space of time. And it is estimated that 98% of the perpetrators are women!

When I first joined this forum, my very first question was similar to one you just asked -- why would a mother cover up for abuse? What dynamic would exist between the parents to allow them to cover for one another? I've still not been able to answer that and perhaps never will.

I can only go on the evidence and what I believe is the truthful understanding of it.

Some facts we do know:
1. JonBenet died -- her death was concluded as asphyxiation in conjunction with a head-trauma. (the coroner couldn't/didn't state which came first which is still the root of the mystery imo)
2.JonBenet was discovered with a cord contraption around her neck, tied to her hand etc. (the debate over whether this was an EA device or merely staging to look like one is another element central to the debate)>
3.JonBenet was molested in both acute and chronic terms.
4.There's a consensus by experts that the ransom note was most probably wrote by Patsy Ramsey. It was a deliberate piece of staging.
5.Pineapple was found in JonBenet's upper digestive tract thus it is estimated she had it barely 1-2 hours before she died.This, in conjunction with the scream head by several neighbours and the state of rigor she was found in on the afternoon of the 26th December place her death sometime between 12-1am.

There's many other facts too -- urine stain on anterior clothing, body was redressed and wiped down, flashlight which had no fingerprints on it but was left in kitchen on show etc, rope cords found in bed etc. Further, the paper and pen used for ransom note came from Ramsey homeware just like all the stuff used to make the ligature came from Ramsey belongings.

I too have tended to favour Wecht's theory aswell because I think it is the most congruent with the facts available and compared to other theories, seems to make less use of speculation. But I can't be totally sure and do still have questions.

I get ya.

The Ramseys hoped that LE would buy the whole kidnapping thing and eventually leave the home. And when they left, then the Ramseys could move the body.

I don't think so. If you were the perp and you were trying to figure what the cops would do, you'd have to consider the high probability of searching the house, and you'd have to assume a basic competency in doing it. IOWs, it was a fluke that the cops didn't find the body by not opening the door of the WC.

You'd also have to consider a K9 unit. The dog might only run out to the curb, but that would at least tell the cops where the perps parked the getaway car. Of course, had they used a K9, the dog would have run down the basement, to the WC and the body would be discovered.

then they called a lot of people to come over. I've always thought that part of the reason was so that someone would find JBR.

I don't think they ever believed it would take that long to find the body, much less that the cops would go away and leave them alone to remove the body.

The body is in the WC because that makes it plausible for the Rs to take the RN "seriously". UK guy points out that the body could have been hid other places, and that's true, but it's unlikely "intruders" would be pulling up floor boards etc. The body had to be hid somewhere long enough that the R's could pretend to believe the kidnappers had the girl.

I too have tended to favour Wecht's theory aswell because I think it is the most congruent with the facts available and compared to other theories, seems to make less use of speculation. But I can't be totally sure and do still have questions.
Well Wecht's theory should explain why JonBenet was wiped down, using skin cleanser, why she was wearing size-12's, why she was placed, wrapped in a blanket, into the wine-cellar, after being redressed. And lastly, but not least, why was the EA device left on her neck when the rest of her person was cleaned up and staged?

Answers on a postcard to Wecht Theory Services.

Some of what Wecht adduces as fact is plain speculation.

I don't think so. If you were the perp and you were trying to figure what the cops would do, you'd have to consider the high probability of searching the house, and you'd have to assume a basic competency in doing it. IOWs, it was a fluke that the cops didn't find the body by not opening the door of the WC.

You'd also have to consider a K9 unit. The dog might only run out to the curb, but that would at least tell the cops where the perps parked the getaway car. Of course, had they used a K9, the dog would have run down the basement, to the WC and the body would be discovered.

then they called a lot of people to come over. I've always thought that part of the reason was so that someone would find JBR.

I don't think they ever believed it would take that long to find the body, much less that the cops would go away and leave them alone to remove the body.

The body is in the WC because that makes it plausible for the Rs to take the RN "seriously". UK guy points out that the body could have been hid other places, and that's true, but it's unlikely "intruders" would be pulling up floor boards etc. The body had to be hid somewhere long enough that the R's could pretend to believe the kidnappers had the girl.

Chrishope,
I don't think so. If you were the perp and you were trying to figure what the cops would do, you'd have to consider the high probability of searching the house, and you'd have to assume a basic competency in doing it.
Absolutely.

The R's had a plan, some of which we can intuit via those things they did not undertake, e.g. dumping JonBenet outdoors. John relocated Burke ASAP that morning. Now did he do that because he thought JonBenet's discovery was imminent, or was there some other motive?

Is the redressing of JonBenet done to facilitate post-discovery expectations or to conform with the R's version of events?

IMO the R's could have no other plan than one which incorporated a getaway. In executing the Abduction Scenario, they probably thought: JonBenet will be found, and we will be arrested, so how can we prevent this, and if we can, lets leave town ASAP, else we might never leave custody?

The R's could not read the future, not unless it was a conspiracy, so they either assume JonBenet would be found quickly or not at all? That John then finds JonBenet suggests this was their preferred outcome?

It does appear they wanted to present a staged crime-scene thinking they could fool everyone?

That is they dressed JonBenet as put to bed the night before, but staged with the garrote to effect a viscious asphyxiation, then hid her in the wine-cellar.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back