Explore Walking possibilities that Dylan or MR could take from the MR home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we all could have missed it, Raine. We don't know exactly where they searched on Day 1. We assume it was around the house and outward, but I don't think we have anything that tells us that specifically.

What we do know is that the lake as been searched, at least in part. So... that's good.

It looks so rugged. Not easy terrain to search :(

Salem

No the terrain looks awful, I will go back and do some reading to refresh and post anything that has to do with search areas.. Maybe that will help some.

Snipped search info

Authorities are requesting volunteers for the search, set to begin at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, and cover several miles of ditches on both sides of La Plata County Road 240, also known as Florida Road.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...m-saturday-to-seek-clues-of-criminal-activity
Florida Rd is near Durango. Fixing my map. It is called Florida Rd on Google up to where the red outline is, but is County rd 240 up to the green rectangle edge.

ETA: IF they went to the McDonald's on College in Durango, they'd be taking Florida Rd out of Durango.

Attachments

• FloridaRd.png
    FloridaRd.png
    833.1 KB · Views: 10
Isn't there some pretty good info on what areas were searched over on the searching thread? I'm starting to get confused about what info goes on which thread. :moo:

This thread we are looking at search areas but most importantly walking distance. I am posting areas searched and I will or posters will go back and measure walking distance from the MR home to the areas searched and add areas within foot travel to the maps. I hope this helps.

Florida Rd is near Durango. Fixing my map. It is called Florida Rd on Google up to where the red outline is, but is County rd 240 up to the green rectangle edge.

ETA: IF they went to the McDonald's on College in Durango, they'd be taking Florida Rd out of Durango.

What is the mileage from MR home to there. Could someone walk? I have not measured it out yet. TIA

FYI, I will make maps for my above post searched areas. So we can see the distance from the MR home.

What is the mileage from MR home to there. Could someone walk? I have not measured it out yet. TIA
25 miles all the way into Durango (8 hour walk). 12 miles to where 240 links up with 500 (3 hours 47 min walk) COULD they walk, yes. Likely they'd walk, I'd say no.

I do not believe Dylan left the house on foot. Even MR's ex made a point of acting like he was so lazy that he never moved from the couch if he could help it. And if his phone WAS broken, even less believable he would set out walking, rather than wait for his ride.

From what I can see, it appears that the ground goes up a hill behind Mark's house, then levels out or dips down a bit into what I called a "quarry looking thing", but could just as well be where water runs down and pools and leaves rocks. There appears to be a dirt road just north of this area that might swing around into it (I can't tell due to tree cover.) It is not that far from the house, maybe 500 ft?

There is also another flat area up the hill I see, that looks like it might sometimes be a small swampy lake (rectangle in red on this map) another 700 of 800 ft from what I called "quarry looking thing" (circled in red on this map) These are places I could see a boy hacking around in.

ETA: Swampy looking things are dangerous for many 13 year old boys. My own got himself nearly stuck in a muddy sulfur spring. He was mud up to his knees. It looked like it was solid.....

Catching up and maybe someone else has already mentioned this earlier - I remember PaulR pointing this area out months ago. It looks like a clearing used by trail bike or even quad bike or ATV users to me. Possibly with tracks and jumps for the riders to tear around like mad things.

I do not believe Dylan left the house on foot. Even MR's ex made a point of acting like he was so lazy that he never moved from the couch if he could help it. And if his phone WAS broken, even less believable he would set out walking, rather than wait for his ride.

But what if he was carried out, by someone on foot? Do you think that might be possible?

Salem

Isn't there some pretty good info on what areas were searched over on the searching thread? I'm starting to get confused about what info goes on which thread. :moo:

This thread is for speculating about areas, within walking distance, that Dylan and/or MR (or some unknown person) might have walked too. Either with Dylan walking on his own, or being carried away from the house.

The other thread is for all searches that we learn of and ideas, speculation of possible good areas to search - no matter how someone would get there - walk or drive.

Hope this helps,

Salem

This was the only place north I could see he might want to go. I have to believe they have searched this, though. It is only about 800 feet away. Point A is Mark's house.

I thought about this area also, I have not heard if has been search, I would imagine it has been. I was thinking maybe the north area could be easier to walk to, to me me that area does not look as populated or my eyes have gotten really bad.

Have not read the entire thread. So will apologize in advance if this is a duplication.
One place that caught my eye was McCarty Excavation and Construction. Only an 8 minute walk. How secure are their small excavation vehicles? It advertises for truckers. Wonder if MR ever did any contract driving for them, and would know where keys are or whether some vehicles were always left ready for use.

MR: 2343 County Rd. 500
McCarty Excavation: 1966 County Road 500, Bayfield, CO

I'm bumping this. I'm very interested to know if it would be possible to walk from MR's house to where Dylan was found?

I may try to look at Google Earth tomorrow and see what I can see.

Salem

I'm bumping this. I'm very interested to know if it would be possible to walk from MR's house to where Dylan was found?

Salem

I've read reports that the remains were found ten miles from MR's house. I suspect that is ten driving miles, not hiking. If you check out google maps, the distance from MR's house to the nearest section of Middle Mountain Road looks much closer than that to me.

However, I don't know where the remains were found (I read an article that the searchers searched along a 12 mile length of Middle Mountain Road). There are switchbacks in the road, so that compresses the distance a bit.

But even if the remains were found well within walking distance, which I think is likely, the terrain where the remains were found makes walking cross-country exceedingly difficult. A hiker could instead choose to beeline from MR's house to some part of Middle Mountain Road, then walk along the road's switchbacks instead of beelining directly to the area where the remains were found.

Getting from the road to the exact location seemed difficult; I saw a video in which searchers seemed to be roped in and rappelling from the road to get to the remains. I do not think anyone would be walking there.

Salem

I am wondering the very same thing. I can't remember what Theresa said the other night to Tricia about that, will try later to have another listen. I am not a very good map person :floorlaugh: but I am trying to see the terrain over to the other side.

I don't think LE will tell us how far on foot and if it is possible to walk from Marks but a reporter could check that out. Hint-Hint ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500