Faces of Meth: Before and After

Throughout the past 20 years, I have lost friends to this drug. Beautiful, intelligent, even college-educated friends. I make the point of educated because so many people are under the misconception that only stupid, 'low-life' people ever use meth- and that's just not true.

My friend Stephanie had everything going for her, and started doing meth to "help keep her weight down". When she started doing it, the 'Meth Awareness' campaign had yet to begin, and I don't think she even knew it as 'meth'- she only knew it was 'speed'. She was never arrested. She didn't have sores on her face. She was thin and beautiful, and she had been doing it for years. She still had a great career, and made lots of money. She actually almost convinced me to give it a try- but then she died from her meth use- had a massive coronary at the age of 36.

This past December, I decided to look up an old friend- (some of you may have read the thread I started about him)- named Marty. It turns out I was a bit late in trying to contact him, as he was sitting in jail awaiting trial for double homicide. He admitted to killing 2 men in a meth drug-deal-gone-bad, while under the influence of meth. He says he killed them in self-defense. He had shot the men 8 times each, and buried their bodies in a shallow grave, under a shed on his property. Their decomposing bodies were found 3 weeks later, by cadaver dogs. My friend, from all those years ago, could never have done something like that. But, meth could.

Above, I told of my first, and then latest, experiences with people I knew who were into meth. But they were not the only ones. Before meth, they were kind, loving, fun intelligent, wonderful people and friends.

Meth, in my opinion, is an evil drug. I don't believe that the people who use it are evil- that's not what I'm saying. What I mean is there is something about this particular drug, that empties the soul if given the chance. It robs. It steals children from parents, and it will steal parents from children. It is an 'equal opportunity destroyer'.

I think that anyone who tries it probably tells themselves they will just try it once, to see what it's like. Or just use it for a little bit, to help them lose weight. Nobody who tries it believes that they will get addicted to it by just trying it once. They underestimate meth's power.

Sometimes people even try it once, and think, "hey- I tried it, and I'm not addicted", so they do it again, and again. Because they don't feel addicted. So, they become addicted.

Meth does give the user a feeling of euphoria. Of course it does- what else would the initial draw be? It makes you feel good. It makes you feel that everything is finally alright. You can do anything. It makes you feel that everything will always be alright and wonderful- as long as you can just keep feeling this way.

And then it rips your soul out, just like a pitbull to the throat. Meth is an evil drug, in my opinion, sent up from the bowels of Hell.

Meth addicts need intensive treatment- not prison- the first time they are arrested.
Spend the money that would be spent on incarceration on preventive education first, and intensive long-term treatment. Then prison, if necessary.

But let's try to get these addicts some real help first, instead of shoving them into over-crowded prisons where they will get out without any treatment, and pick up where they left off.

TY for your post as you have never tried meth but seen its effects...
We are not all rotten-toothed-sores-everywhere-cretins. I think this is a HUGE misconception....I hid my meth use for nearly 2 years, and could have hid it longer if not for the fact that someone ratted me out to family and I was so busted.
The only symptom I had was the mass weight loss. I had great skin and exceptionally (sp) great teeth....those are some of the biggest misconeptions I have ever heard...I know of plenty of peope who look like your avg-every-day-citizens, people from 20-50 yrs old who you would never expect of doing meth...well it hides in MANY MANY forms from moo...

I loved smartblonde's post and I am so grateful for whiterain being able to clean her life up.
But I go back to the family. I know I had four kids and we never had a problem with drugs.
I just think all of us who are parents should do anything to keep those lines of communication and love open. Teach values in our homes , attend Church, show compassion and love to each other. In this drug ravaged world, I don't know why we were not touched by it, but I sure thank my Heavenly Father that we weren't.

I loved smartblonde's post and I am so grateful for whiterain being able to clean her life up.
But I go back to the family. I know I had four kids and we never had a problem with drugs.
I just think all of us who are parents should do anything to keep those lines of communication and love open. Teach values in our homes , attend Church, show compassion and love to each other. In this drug ravaged world, I don't know why we were not touched by it, but I sure thank my Heavenly Father that we weren't.
I am so happy for your family PG...I really am, you truly are blessed.
I can honestly say (and I know people will say oh you are making exscuses so and so) but I had a very mentally abusive childhood. My dad made us walk on egsshells every single day, and you never knew what kind of day was gonna happen. I, being an only child suffered his wraths into adulthood...I was expected to be perfect, and I never could. My dad could be SO hurtful in the words he would sling...I would rather have been beaten everyday than hear the things he would say.
ANYWAY, I am not blaming my dad for me ever taking meth, that was MY decision, but from the very first (or 2nd) snort I felt all my troubles disappear...I felt like SOMEBODY...all the things my dad pressed upon me (you're no good, etc) disappeared and for the first time in my 24-25 years I felt like someone who was not the best person, but had a little bit of decency to her...
and especially I hid the things he would say from all others...so humiliating...I found myself being able to open up to a few people about the things my dad psychologically put me thru...I was no longer embarrassed...
This may sound like an addicts exscuse, but I do feel in some way that meth helped me be a better person...I got out some demons about my dad that I was at first reluctant to talk about etc....
Notice I said "IN SOME WAYS." In the long run meth cost me ALOT. Alot more than, sober, I would be willing to give.

I've asked the same question. And the answer I got was that they pick at their faces obsessively for some reason while on this drug. I think the ingredients cause more skin eruptions or lack of healing and they pick at it....

Another common thing is meth mouth.......their teeth actually start falling out.

It is absolutely horrible.

I know a guy who got hooked on meth.......all of his teeth fell out ( he made an excuse for this) and he committed suicide.

OMG Mystery - that is so sad. I watch Intervention alot, and it seems the common link is picking -- not just the face, but everywhere. Itching, scratchin, picking - until everything bleeds. I've heard about meth mouth too. Man, I have enough trouble with my teeth without even thinking about adding drugs as a factor. People addicted just dont care, and for these folks - you can see it a mile away!

ETA link re: scabs and meth mouth

http://www.gatehouseacademy.com/blo...s-have-sores-on-their-faces-and-rotten-teeth/

Mel

BOTH. I remember when I first started the drug I lived upstairs in a 2 story apt. I would lay out a line to snort the night before I went to work...get up for work, snort a line, try to rush downstairs before the disgusting taste hit my mouth, but before I could it hit...not just the taste but that feeling...OMG on top of the world and energy like you would NOT believe. That quick...we are talking ONE set of stairs. Energy for days...euphoria for days...
At the beginning one teeny-tiny snort could keep you awake for days, and also you would not feel like eating for a bit, like for 1-3 days, at the beginning mainly 3 days or more.
But as time went on and you got heavier into the drug you could eat anything you wanted and still lose weight also you could snort a couple of times a day and still go to bed that night. That is when you KNOW you have it bad, when you can snort and eat and sleep a few hours later.

Thank you for the answer. I just never realized that drano and ephedrine among other things could do all of this......I honestly thought that the draw was some type of party for 3 days with nonstop energy thing rather than actually getting good feelings or a high from it if that makes sense.

And you are right, not every user is obvious. The guy I knew that did it...I didn't know until after he was dead that he was using this drug. He had lost some weight and hid the fact that his teeth fell out or made the excuse of medication as a child (chemo) of causing the loss and no one really questioned it. He started stealing things and his wife threw him out.......and he killed himself. This guy was a professional at one time, until the end......and had a new baby and 2 other children. So he left 3 children for that drug and now they are fatherless.

Truly heartbreading. So glad you were able to quit.......

I used to go to a school in a different district that shared a bus with some of the high school kids and you could tell some of them were strung out. Not on just meth, but I assume many other drugs. I never talked to them so I'm not for sure. But it was really sad. for about 2 years I watched these kids disappear and get replaced by new druggies and I thought it was really sad.
Also on that same bus route there was a house half on a church's property that had to be boarded up because the previous tenants made so much meth that even the walls of the house were toxic.
I hate drugs so much. Honestly, I don't think I could hate anything more. It ruins so many lives. I wish I could go up to all the people on the street (I live near Bremerton, the alleged Meth capital of the US) and change them. :/

That's why so many people start using drugs to begin with. They are self medicating for whatever is troubling them. Sometimes they aren't even aware of it. Depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. When they aren't using any longer, they are faced with these things for the first time in a long while. That's why so many people relapse. Life is easier on drugs, or so it seems to them. And I bet they had colds while on drugs. They probably just didn't know it!

This, exactly. I just lost a friend to a Roxanol overdose. He was severely depressed, most likely bi-polar, in and out of treatment, couldn't get a job because of his record. Every time he got clean enough to start getting a clear head, the gravity of his situation would weigh him down to where he got back on drugs. He wasn't a bad person, he was one of the kindest, most decent human beings I have ever known but with no insurance and a criminal record - the world saw him as just another addict. Expendable. Disposable. Unimportant.

My life will never be the same without him. :mad::scream::cry:

I live in Kanawha Co. WV. Here if a house is found to be a meth lab it is listed at this site,
http://www.wvdhhr.org/rtia/pdf/WV CDLR ADDRESS.pdf
The owner has to clean it up to specs or demolish it. There is a big resurgence of it here thanks in part to the " shake and bake method" cheaper and easier to get the chemicals needed. Can literally make it while walking down the road! Scary stuff.

A man was featured in a magazine article (I believe it was Newsweek magazine, as I used to be a subscriber), a few years ago. He had been burned over a large percentage of his body- including his face, head, hands, arms and chest, while cooking meth in his kitchen. Second and third degree burns, the worst kind. He was terribly disfigured (the article had pictures), and spent approximately a year in the hospital- much of that in the Intensive Care Unit, fighting to survive.

In the article, he described the horrors of realizing his skin was melting off his face and body, and the unimaginable pain that he endured, through skin grafts and surgeries. He swore that when he recovered from the burns that almost killed him, he would never have anything to do with meth again.

Within one single month of being released from the hospital, he was using again. He said he didn't want to live without it. The fact that he was completely disfigured had no effect on his addiction.

This story horrified me. It just shows how powerful the grip of meth addiction really can be.

I found the on-line version of the article I wrote about above.
I read the print article, that was in the actual magazine. It doesn't seem that the on-line version has pictures, but here it is...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/56373

The man's name is Ricky Dale Houchens. Some of the quotes attributed to him:
"I felt my face just melting",
and after reporting that "it took less than a month after his discharge for him to snort a line of meth again", he states, "I felt bad, like I let everybody down, but meth is Lucifer himself".

To me, that is so frightening. And, it should be mandatory reading for all junior high and high school students, everywhere.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back