Facial Masks - Coronavirus

I was wondering if people wore them for smoke from the fires. There's smoke moving in from Canada and fire season is coming soon. Seasonal allergies is great reason to wear them outdoors.

I was at the cancer center last Tuesday and some groups are requiring them again. The bone marrow transplant patients have to wear them for like 2 years until they get all their baby shots all over again.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a use for the special elastic used in mask making? I have almost a whole spool of it leftover. It is too soft to be used interchangeably with regular elastic.

I was wondering if people wore them for smoke from the fires. There's smoke moving in from Canada and fire season is coming soon. Seasonal allergies is great reason to wear them outdoors.

I was at the cancer center last Tuesday and some groups are requiring them again. The bone marrow transplant patients have to wear them for like 2 years until they get all their baby shots all over again.
I was at the hospital for cancer recurrence screening mammogram last week and almost all had masks on, including me. I don't see as many in grocery stores tho. Jme.

Last edited:
How about scrunchies? The ponytail holders that are covered with fabric and come in a wide array of colors/patterns.
I will definitely experiment. I sew for Operation Christmas Child.so ponytail holders and scrunchies would be perfect to put with my fabric scraps to make these. Great ideas!

Before you begin, you might want to take a look at this article that shows the best materials to use for masks. Please note, though, that the kitchen towels they mention are not the terry cloth ones, but are tea towels. This is very important.

What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks? - Smart Air Filters

The Olson Mask is what one of the large hospital groups in my area is asking for specifically because it is a tighter fit than the surgical type and it has a place for a filter to be inserted. Instructions for this mask are here.

https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/filesimages/Coronavirus/Olson Mask with Pattern v4.pdf

Most hospitals that are requesting masks are asking that they be two layers of 100% cotton for breathability. I’ve not seen any requests that suggest the use of t-shirt material, probably because it can be difficult to sew. You are better off sticking with the kind of fabric used for quilting or tea towel material. Whatever you use should be tightly woven.
Making a mask is very simple, you only need to find
2 pieces of cloth,
1 piece of melt-blown cloth,
2 ear loops to make a DIY mask, and put the melt-blown cloth in the middle of the two pieces of cloth to achieve air filtration.
Remember: melt blown fabric is the core material to DIY mask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back