Family of Heather Elvis to hold news conference - 04/02/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet Trolls

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

... mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

I highly recommend people who are upset with the commenters causing the family & supporters grief read some of the footnoted material.

This is the part I found quite compelling. I do agree with this. It takes a special type of person to be a dreaded internet troll. What is so alarming is how many are out there on the net causing hurt and mayhem.

Psychological characteristics

Two studies published in 2013 and 2014 have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and machiavellianism.[36][37] The 2013 study suggested that there are a number of similarities between anti-social and flame trolling activities[36] and the 2014 study suggested that the noxious personality characteristics known as the "dark triad of personality" should be investigated in the analysis of trolling, and concluded that trolling appears "to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism."[37] Their relevance is suggested by research linking these traits to bullying in both adolescents and adults. The 2014 study found that trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting hot-button issues to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner. If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, "Do not feed the trolls!" The 2013 study found that trolls often have a high expectation of what it means to be successful, which is higher than they are able to attain, and this results in them resenting others who think they are successful but who fall below their standards.

This is the part I found quite compelling. I do agree with this. It takes a special type of person to be a dreaded internet troll. What is so alarming is how many are out there on the net causing hurt and mayhem.

Psychological characteristics

Two studies published in 2013 and 2014 have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and machiavellianism.[36][37] The 2013 study suggested that there are a number of similarities between anti-social and flame trolling activities[36] and the 2014 study suggested that the noxious personality characteristics known as the "dark triad of personality" should be investigated in the analysis of trolling, and concluded that trolling appears "to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism."[37] Their relevance is suggested by research linking these traits to bullying in both adolescents and adults. The 2014 study found that trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting hot-button issues to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner. If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, "Do not feed the trolls!" The 2013 study found that

trolls often have a high expectation of what it means to be successful, which is higher than they are able to attain, and this results in them resenting others who think they are successful but who fall below their standards.

Thank you for mentioning that part. I didn't want to bore everyone to death with an overly long post.

There have been several prolific trolls uncovered and interviewed. They are a pretty sick breed. Every time the reporter thinks they have gotten the person to be open and sincere, even meeting them in person, they find out they are just being played by the sickos.

I don't think they even especially care what the cause is or who the people are. They just see an opportunity to indulge their perversion. They get even more bang for their buck by going after persons portrayed sympathetically and made famous (or high profile) by media.

Edited to bold and italic a part of quote that I find very interesting.

Thank you for reminding everyone of Heather and her family. Your right Tammy should be spending the time
will her family. Another Easter without her whereabouts. I hope they find her soon. I cannot even begin
to feel their pain, I would not be able to handle it. I do believe they will find her. Tammy won't have peace no
matter how deep it's buried, the truth will not set her free. The truth is going to bite, hard and swift. Justice.

For some reason this seems to become an issue for some every time a fund is setup for the family of a murder victim. Over the years I have given many times to these funds including HEs.

Once I give these funds I do not care what the family does with it. The minute the funds are sent it no longer belongs to me but belongs to the family. I don't give any money with attached conditions to it. Once it leaves my account it belongs to the family to do with it as they see fit.

I don't even care if they go out to a nice restaurant on what I have sent. I know family members go through very painful stressful times so if I can help to make it a little easier for them even in a small way then I am pleased that I helped out.

But that is just how I feel when I make donations to grieving family members.

I applaud this and i agree. All this crazy money talk is taking focus off of Heather and the accused. kudos ocean!

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

I applaud this and i agree. All this crazy money talk is taking focus off of Heather and the accused. kudos ocean!

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

I understand your point. However, this is a thread to discuss the Elvis family news conference.:) Money talk was part of it.

I understand your point. However, this is a thread to discuss the Elvis family news conference.:) Money talk was part of it.

You are correct.
I could have been more specific but I was on my tablet - I was more referring to money turmoil outside of WS. I agree with oceanblueeyes that once the donation is given, its out of your hands. You (generally speaking) gave the money with best intentions and however its used is up to the person(s) you donated it to. One shouldn't continue to want to control the money once it's been donated. The public should be like WS - victim friendly, especially after a loss like the Elvis' have been thru.

Another thought - I think its atrocious that its even discussed on social media and in the presence of TE & DE - when the alleged murders have stolen so much money to fund their vacations and everyday lives and I'm quite sure it also funded the ....alleged....disposal of a human body. It's disgusting what they've done.
Anyway...I'll crawl back in my hole unless I think of something else lol.

Not sure what even came out of this presser? :thinking: What can be done to stop trolling?

Before the conference Thursday, Debbi Elvis, Heather's mother, issued the following statement to the media:

“I'm asking that you all come together to help me educate the public about who and what they are dealing with online. I don't know if this will help, but too many people are continuing to be hurt and it is the only way I can think of to help the situation.”

The only way to effectively deal with trolls online is to completely ignore them. If an entire page (like on FB) is setup to favor the opposing side, then the only thing one can do is not go there. If libelous statements are made then there could be enough for civil litigation to stop the libel.

Other than that, nada. People can be vicious and no more so than when they are behind their keyboards where they think they can't be identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Hazey