FAQ's: Websleuths and The Killing Season/Post Your Questions About Websleuths HERE

I live in Cape Town, South Africa, and watched The Killing Season on television at the end of last year. I have a question about how the American legal/judicial system works and am hoping someone in this forum can help. My question is particularly relevant to LISK, but probably relates to many other cases as well.

My question relates to the role of the Feds in the American legal/judicial system. In the final episode of the Killing Season, people were saying that the Feds would be working with the police departments on the LISK case, and pulling together the work being done across states on similar cases. I always thought that was the Feds' primary job. Obviously I was wrong, but then, what are the Feds actually for and what do they do? I can't understand why they didn't do this years ago.

Thanks very much.

:welcome: Mary-Anne!

I am not familiar with the extent that the FBI is involved with LISK specifically, but their website "About" tab states in part;

"Our priority is to help protect you, your children, your communities, and your businesses from the most dangerous threats facing our nation—from international and domestic terrorists to spies on U.S. soil, from cyber villains to corrupt government officials, from mobsters to violent street gangs, from child predators to serial killers. Along the way, we help defend and uphold our nation’s economy, physical and electronic infrastructure, and democracy. "

Also check their site and look at the "What we investigate", "Services" and "resources" pages. Lots of info thaat can help answer your questions.

https://www.fbi.gov/
https://www.fbi.gov/about/mission

Happy Sleuthing!

:welcome: Mary-Anne!

I am not familiar with the extent that the FBI is involved with LISK specifically, but their website "About" tab states in part;

"Our priority is to help protect you, your children, your communities, and your businesses from the most dangerous threats facing our nation—from international and domestic terrorists to spies on U.S. soil, from cyber villains to corrupt government officials, from mobsters to violent street gangs, from child predators to serial killers. Along the way, we help defend and uphold our nation’s economy, physical and electronic infrastructure, and democracy. "

Also check their site and look at the "What we investigate", "Services" and "resources" pages. Lots of info thaat can help answer your questions.

https://www.fbi.gov/
https://www.fbi.gov/about/mission

Happy Sleuthing!

That's very helpful, I'll check those sites out.

Thanks very much.

Where is the best place to view all full episodes online? I watched every one on tv, but would like to refer these episodes to another ws member to watch online.

Thanks.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but my inbox will not hold over five messages... How do I change the settings on that because five is not really a lot. Thanks in advance.

Also, is there a quick way to check if someone directly responded to something I have posted?

I have a question as I haven't seen this yet in the shows. Sorry I'm only on episode 3. But have followed these cases for years since they found The first bodies at Gilgo Beach (think they were the first right?). And something I thought of last night.
1) Is the LISK murders linked to the bodies in the west Mesa that were found in New Mexico? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/715705/west-mesa-murders-seven-years-later.html/amp
2) what days of the week do the LISK victims go missing? Wondering since maybe the LISK may not live there full time. Since the killing season starts in June - does she/he (let's face it probably a man) go out there like a lot of people on thursdays or fridays and leave Monday's to head back to the city.
Or is he a traveling salesperson and only summers in Long Island? I have never seen a calendar of when they think these woman did an out call and what day of the week they could have done that call. Which could narrow it down to being the same days he is in town.
3) asked about the Mesa Serial Killer - because I always had this weird feeling that LISK is a traveling sales person, maybe from the NYC area but doesn't live there full time. And if he isn't there full time maybe bodies in a different state. And if he does travel (maybe a trucker but I don't think so) he could live in a warmer climate that could lead to the mesa killings being done maybe at a different part of the year. Where as maybe he is only on Long Island for the summer.

Just something I was thinking about last night. Would be interesting to see if the girls go missing on the same days of the week which might show you he does live / work in the NYC area and goes to summer on long island in the summer like a lot of Manhattanites.
Just curious. And if his has been answered- where is the calendar to see when /what days these girls went missing. Thx y'all.

I have a question as I haven't seen this yet in the shows. Sorry I'm only on episode 3. But have followed these cases for years since they found The first bodies at Gilgo Beach (think they were the first right?). And something I thought of last night.
1) Is the LISK murders linked to the bodies in the west Mesa that were found in New Mexico? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abqjournal.com/715705/west-mesa-murders-seven-years-later.html/amp
2) what days of the week do the LISK victims go missing? Wondering since maybe the LISK may not live there full time. Since the killing season starts in June - does she/he (let's face it probably a man) go out there like a lot of people on thursdays or fridays and leave Monday's to head back to the city.
Or is he a traveling salesperson and only summers in Long Island? I have never seen a calendar of when they think these woman did an out call and what day of the week they could have done that call. Which could narrow it down to being the same days he is in town.
3) asked about the Mesa Serial Killer - because I always had this weird feeling that LISK is a traveling sales person, maybe from the NYC area but doesn't live there full time. And if he isn't there full time maybe bodies in a different state. And if he does travel (maybe a trucker but I don't think so) he could live in a warmer climate that could lead to the mesa killings being done maybe at a different part of the year. Where as maybe he is only on Long Island for the summer.

Just something I was thinking about last night. Would be interesting to see if the girls go missing on the same days of the week which might show you he does live / work in the NYC area and goes to summer on long island in the summer like a lot of Manhattanites.
Just curious. And if his has been answered- where is the calendar to see when /what days these girls went missing. Thx y'all.

Hello, and welcome. Hope you're finding the series informative. To answer your questions:

1. There is no evidence to suggest LISK and West Mesa are linked other than certain similarities in the killings.

2. No pattern in the days to my knowledge.

3. There are many timelines posted in various threads. Check the Timeline thread and the Maps and Aerial Photos thread.

Here's a good post to start with:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6341319

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but my inbox will not hold over five messages... How do I change the settings on that because five is not really a lot. Thanks in advance.

Also, is there a quick way to check if someone directly responded to something I have posted?

Forum Finesse is the best spot for these types of questions, but I'll go ahead and answer you here.

As your post count increases, so will your inbox capacity. I think the magic number is 15 or 20 posts right now. Reach that number, and you'll have full access to all of rhe site's user features.

To subscribe to a thread, look for "Forum Tools" in the menu beneath the thread title. Click that, and you will see an option to subscribe to the thread.

Under "Settings" (near the top of every page where you sign in), look in the left hand menu for the options on how to handle threads you subscribe to. You can receive email notifications at various intervals that you select, i.e., once a day, each time a member posts, etc. There is no quick way to know if someone responded to your post, althought that feature is available on Tapatalk.

Hope that helps.

i was wondering if the killing season is going to keep investigating the murders, is there going to be more episodes. there are still so many unanswered ? about the killings..

I have a question about verified members. Are they professionals who are/were involved in a specific case or can they also be just a professional in a general sense as in a doctor or a police officer?

I only ask because I am a funeral director and while I have never been personally involved with the cases discussed here, there were a number of threads I contributed to and gave commentary based on my profession. I was just wondering. Thanks!

I have a question about verified members. Are they professionals who are/were involved in a specific case or can they also be just a professional in a general sense as in a doctor or a police officer?

I only ask because I am a funeral director and while I have never been personally involved with the cases discussed here, there were a number of threads I contributed to and gave commentary based on my profession. I was just wondering. Thanks!

You can become a (general) "verified expert" in your field. More info here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-Process-for-Professional-or-Insider-Posters

There are so many I don't know where to begin. I like the early John Douglas, Robert Ressler, Ann Burgess, Mark Olshaker books (i.e., Mind Hunter, Crime Classification Manual); Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me is a good one about Ted Bundy. There are a zillion others that I can't recall right now.

Here's a list from Goodreads to get you started.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14429.Non_fiction_books_about_Serial_Killers

• The Crime Classification Manual, by John Douglas, et al, which attempts to model itself after the DSM. The up side of this book, is that it winnows out the differences between, say serial killers, spree killers, mass killers, as well as various motivations for killing, such as mission killing, etcetera.

While I am new to this site, I am not new to the world of serial killing. I first have to caution on older books by Douglas and Olshaker, and would only read Douglas's most recent or they all tend to get repetitive, and are outdated. Initially, as Douglas was on the front line of developing "profiling," the information *was* new and seemingly factual, but as we learn more, it is an ever evolving field. Also, the DSM changes regularly and doesn't have a full grasp even today on where and how serial killing, spree, &c. fit in their causes, motivations, let alone a diagnosis.

Although still not perfect, a good overview can be found in Scott Bonn's book "Why We Love Serial Killers," though it ranks low in Goodreads, it seems to be one of the most up to date definitionally and has insight into the most prolific serial killings to date- solved and unsolved.

There are many books out there that are interesting, but I also recommend everything be taken with a grain of salt. Even serial killers who have been interviewed likely lie so there is still fiction in nonfiction stories on specific killers.

But have fun, learn what you can, and each time a new crime is solved, we learn a little more.

CM

Hi. New user here. I have done some quick replies but I can not figure out how to reply just under someone's comment.

Sorry. I finally figured it out! Thanks anyway! Glad to have a place we can ask questions.

Im a new member just registered, anyone who knows me well knows I'm obsessed with true crime shows and networks (A&E, IF, OXY, etc). I find it interesting on how Criminal profiles, detectives, police, and FBI handle cases. I just finished watching The Killing Season. It's alarming the numbers that are being reported they believe over 200 are currently active and over thousands are their victims and that's conservative numbers. It's also discussed how the fbi have a database called The Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (ViCAP) is a unit of the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation responsible for the analysis of serial violent and sexual crimes, organizationally situated within the Critical Incident Response Group's (CIRG) National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime (NCAVC). However over 17000 law enforcement agencies in the U.S. are not mandated to use this program hence the inability to detect connection, motives, murderers, similar Mos, etc. I don't understand how this isn't mandatory. Former fbi members are saying that it isn't that effective due to the lack of mandate. Why isn't this information required to take criminals off the streets. Why aren't we taking this seriously to prevent more victims and why aren't we catching more criminals. I think their needs to mandates and federal regulations on how things need to be discussed with the public, with the families, and other law enforcement agencies. Does anyone know of anyone in a government role is pushing to make the use of uploading information to VICAP mandatory? Seems this would be a good place to start....

I would like to start a new post, or have someone contact me. I am just signing on to the website. I was born and raised in port Richmond and lived at 81 Ann street for the first 7 years of my life. I have reason to believe that Holly Ann Hughes is still alive. I would like for someone to contact me that is interested in this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back