First McCann Interview Transcript + Discussion

Do you think Gerry and Kate McCann know what happened to their daughter, Madeleine McCann?

• Total voters

jypsijemini

Former Member
Reaction score
I = Interviewer
G = Gerry McCann
K = Kate McCann
MO = My Observation/Opinion

Source:
YouTube Channel: "DonnyDarko"
Video Title: Madeleine McCann 1st Interview
Upload Date: 18 April 2012

TRANSCRIPT:

I: Gerry and Kate, thanks very much indeed for talking to us. I'd like to begin by taking you back to the events of May the 3rd on that evening. Tell us how you discovered that Madeleine had gone.

K: *smacks lips, deep inhale*

G: *looks up and down, breathes in through mouth*

K: Erm, as I think people are aware, we were checking regularly on the children, and, um, it was during one of my checks that I discovered she'd gone - and that I can't really go into any details about that, but I'm sure any parent will realise how that felt.

(MO: This response from Kate is incredibly strange to me. She's been asked HOW she discovered that Madeleine was gone. "As I think people are aware" - she instantly thrusts the responsibility back on the interviewer/audience to know the details of her situation. It's been 3 weeks since Madeleine disappeared by this point. This is the first interview they've given to the media. Some viewers are completely unaware what happened that night. She continues, "we were checking regularly on the children". And this response in full: "As I think people are aware, we were checking regularly on the children". To me, by starting her statement with "as -- people are aware..." rather than just starting with, "We were checking regularly on the children" - this first statement comes off as defensive. To conclude, instead of describing the moment, she states that she's "sure any parent will realise how that felt". Well, most parents haven't and don't ever go through what you've been through - so no, not every parent would realise JUST how that feels.)

I: Did the panic set in immediately?

K: *nods* Yeah, pretty much. *deep inhale*

(MO: "Pretty much?" PRETTY MUCH?! Your three-year-old daughter is missing from her bed, missing from the apartment and you're in a foreign country, in a holiday resort. Your toddler is missing. What a blasé term to use. "Pretty much." And she just leaves it at that. Doesn't elaborate. Still doesn't give any sort of description on the thoughts and feelings she had at the moment she realised, or "discovered" that her three-year-old firstborn daughter Madeleine was missing in the middle of the night.

I: This is a resort that offers child care facilities, babysitting facilities. Why then were the three young children left alone in the apartment while you were having a meal?

K: *inhales loudly, pauses, looks down and to the left*

G: Right, I think if you know the location here, which you've seen, ah, what we did, I think, and we've been reassured by the fact in the thousands of messages from people who've either done exactly the same, or say they would have done the same - and for us, it really wasn't much very different to having dinner in your garden and the proximity of the location. I think it's fair to say that, you know, the guilt that we feel, having not been there, at that moment, irrespective of whether we had been in the other bedroom or not, will never leave us.

(MO: Gerry, could you please just answer the question? "If you know the location, you've seen [the location], other parents have reassured us that they would do or have done the same, it's not much different to having dinner in your back yard..." - all defensive statements. They're excusing what they did, not explaining it. If he felt so sure about their actions that night, why wouldn't he explain himself and their decision with conviction? Their story is that someone abducted Madeleine, which could have happened anywhere, to anybody's child. Tragically, it happens a lot. Children are pinched off street corners, from parks, from their beds in the safest place they've ever known - their homes. So if they were so sure about how safe their apartment was, why the need to list off excuses for their actions? Sure, they've come under a lot of scrutiny - but this is the first interview they've given to tell their side of the story.

And a side note - it bothers me how many times both Gerry and Kate use the terms, "I think" and "you know". Like in Jodi Arias' case, the term "I think" is overused and abused by this couple. "You know" also throws the responsibility back on the viewer/listener: "I think it's fair to say that, you know..." = 'In my opinion, you should all be aware and can't argue that...')

I: Do you blame yourselves regularly?

G: *blinking, pursed lips, stares at interviewer*

K: Certainly the first few days I think the guilt was very difficult, erm, but I think as time goes on, erm, we feel stronger and we felt very supported from that point of view.

(MO: Gerry doesn't seem to like this question one bit. The cameraman seems to realise that Gerry won't answer and pans over to Kate as she begins to answer in his place. Side note - I find it interesting that Gerry and Kate seem to tag-team their responses to the questions as if they've agreed that they'll take it in turns.

"I think the guilt was very difficult but I think as time goes on we feel..." - Why is it "I think" and not, 'For the first few days we certainly felt a level of guilt - as her parents and her guardians. But as time goes on, we feel stronger and very supported...")

I: Is there a lesson here, do you think, to other parents?

G: *inhales* I think that's a very difficult thing to say because if you look at it and we try to rationalise things in our head and ultimately what is done IS done, we do continually look forward but we've tried to put it into some sort of perspective for ourselves. We're in a VERY safe resort. If you think of the millions and millions of British families who go to the Mediterranean each year - really, the chances of this happening are in the order of a hundred million to one.

K: I think, I think at worst, we were naive, erm, I mean we're very responsible parents, we love our children very much and I don't think any parent could ever imagine or consider anything like this happening.

(MO: I got chills when Gerry said, "What's done IS done... we've tried to put it into some sort of perspective for ourselves." What "perspective"? Why all the formal language? Is this a product of his British/European upbringing and education? How have the formalities not fallen away in the midst of such an emotional, tumultuous and heartbreaking time in their lives? Throughout this interview, his choice of wording is peculiar considering the situation he's in. Again, he's defending and deflecting blame upon himself and Kate - stressing the safety of the resort, comparing their bad situation to the 'millions and millions' of problem-free holidays taken by other British families. "...the chances of this happening are in the order of a hundred million to one," - is this something that he's been told or is he theorising? To me, it just has the ring of, "This is so unusual, there's a minuscule chance that it will ever happen to anyone else so we had every right to be naive and act irresponsibly."

"I think," (there we go again with the I Think statement) at worst, we were naive (understatement of the year) I mean, we're very responsible parents, we love our children very much (defending, reassuring listeners - and does she really feel the need to have to convince everybody that they're good parents, or that they love their children?) "I don't think any parent could ever imagine or consider anything like this happening". Kate, these sorts of crimes have not been de-escalating over time. They're becoming more and more common. A woman such as herself, in an age where global communication and information is at its peak should be well aware that there are many dangers for young children in this world. The sex trade. Child *advertiser censored* and the increased awareness surrounding the presence and dangers of paedophilia. Child abductions and murders. Even just the risk of her three-year-old falling off a piece of furniture, choking on a small object or running across a road. The threat of her child waking up in the night alone and getting lost through the resort in an attempt to find her parents. There were so many risks and yet she had never "imagined or considered" anything like that happening? Naive is such an understatement. Leaving those children unattended was neglectful and irresponsible. It's disgusting to hear her describe herself and Gerry as "responsible" parents. I have little reason to doubt their love for their children, besides the fact that I'm yet to see a photo or video of either Gerry or Kate shedding tears for their missing child.)

I: Were you aware of the big public debate that went on in the immediate aftermath and were you hurt by that?

G: Yeah, I mean...
K: Yeah, naturally
G: I mean, no one hurts you as much as the hurt that we had, but, you know we've tried to remain very positive in our outlook, and even small levels of criticism make that hard when you're trying to do everything in your power to get your daughter back.

I: I know you've been very supportive of the Portuguese Police investigation, but is there anything that you feel could have been done better, particularly in those crucial first 24 hours when Madeleine was missing and perhaps it was treated as a simple missing child as opposed to an abduction?

G: I think, um, you know, we are not looking at what has been done and I don't think it helps at this stage to look back at what could and couldn't have been done. I think it's fair to say we expected a very British-style response that you would expect if you were in a big metropolitan city - but you have to put it in context: that we're in a tiny resort, but, you know, that aside, um, we, the times for these lessons to be learned will be after the investigation is finished and not now, you know, it's an on-going investigation which has huge resources - both from the Portuguese and the British. They're working very very closely with lots of expert help and I know there's hundreds of pieces of information continuing to come forward and I would strongly like to emphasise we would like anyone who's been in here in the two weeks leading up to the abduction to come forward if they have not already done so and upload their photographs because we want Madeleine back and people can still influence that.

I: Looking back, I mean, did you see anything suspicious in the days leading up to her abduction? Did you notice anything? Have you been racking your brains to think whether people might have been watching?

K: *shakes head* We didn't.
G: If we did, we wouldn't tell you *smiles, scoffs* because it may be important information but we didn't, you know. It was SUCH a relaxing holiday, in fact, as a family unit, up until that night, and with the friends we were here [with] certainly for us it was as gooder holiday as we've had with the children - up until that point.

(MO: Again, I got chills when both Kate and Gerry broke a smile when Gerry stated, "Id we did, we wouldn't tell you". It's been three weeks since Maddie went missing by the point of this interview. It's unrealistic to think that they'd be constantly tearful, stony faced and heartbroken - I get that. But the smiles and scoffing just seems completely out of place and strange for a question/answer like this. "But we didn't, you know" - No, Gerry, we don't KNOW that you didn't see anything. You're telling us to believe you. All we have to go on are the details released to the media, and the answers you're willing to give in your interviews. He then changes the topic and describes that it was "SUCH a relaxing holiday", for the family, for the fact that they had their friends there with them, that it was as good as any holiday they'd had with the children - but he's sure to stress that that's how it was up until the point that Madeleine disappeared. He may think that this is related, painting a picture of their dream holiday and how flawless it had been until that night - but he didn't really serve to answer the question properly. He likes to elaborate and draw out his answers until you're unsure what the initial question actually was. Had they noticed or seen anything suspicious? No. Next question.

I: You have to keep believing that Madeleine is still going to be found, alive and well.

G: Absolutely. <unintelligible>

I: Do you ever, though, allow yourselves to drift towards negative thoughts?

K: I think in the early days, we did and I think that's inevitable, I think any parent who's been through this does that certainly in the first few days. We don't know. We're actually, erm, a lot stronger, a lot more hopeful now and we have to be hopeful. It's what keeps us going and keeps us focused.

I: And what about S and A? What have you said to them about their big sister?

K: They're really good, I mean, they're at an age really where they're still quite young and *exhales* I guess it really hasn't had the same impact on them as if they were a little bit older. They do talk about Madeleine, erm, they pick up things and say "Madeleine's", you know, and that's fine. But they're really good.

G: I think that's, you know, something that... is... many people say to us that this is a parent's worst nightmare - and it is - it truly is and it's as bad as you can possibly imagine but, you know, if all three of the children had been taken it could have been even worse than your worst nightmare and we've got to be strong for them, you know, they are here, they do bring you back to Earth, and we cannot, you know, grieve one. We did grieve - of course we grieved, but ultimately we need to be in control so that we can influence and help in any way possible. Not just S and A, but the investigation.

(MO: Gerry seems to almost downplay the horror of his daughter being abducted by theorising about how much worse it would have been if all three children had been taken. Again, this is completely irrelevant to the question that had been asked by the interviewer. He asked G & K what the twins know about their big sister. Gerry then says, chillingly, "we cannot, you know, grieve one". He goes on, "We did grieve, of course we grieved, but ultimately we need to be in control..." Madeleine has been missing for three weeks. Not three years. Not three decades. Even parents who know that their child has died, who have all the answers - they know how their child died etc. - they're still grieving. Most cannot retell the story without crying, even ten years after the fact. It still brings up memories and raw emotion. Most people say that the pain never goes away, you just learn to deal with it better. Have Gerry and Kate really just found a way to deal with it, "control" it and suppress it within three weeks of her disappearance? It's just so unusual!)

I: And because of them, the day may come when you have to leave here and go back to the UK. I know you've got no plans to do so at the moment - but how do you think you're going to feel if that day comes and you have to go to the airport and fly back?

K: I can't think about that, Ian, to be honest - I can't think about going home without Madeleine. So...

I: I noticed that you've got Madeleine's cuddly toy with you, as always. How did that start and what comfort does it bring you?

K: Where did it come from, or...

I: No, how did the idea come to just have it in your hands all the time?

K: Well, it's something that Madeleine has with her every night and if she's upset or not well, she has Cuddle Cat. It's, er, provided me with a little bit of comfort - something of Madeleine close to me.

I: This is International Missing Children's Day. I mean, I guess Madeleine's had more publicity than just about every missing child in the world put together. I'm sure you're very grateful for that. Why do you think it has provoked such enormous public support of which I don't think we've ever seen before?

G: I think there's *exhales* a conglomeration of circumstances that have come together in this situation - the fact that we're on holiday, very safe resort - recognised for that - and of course the, the world has changed in terms of information, technology and the speed of response, you know, in terms of the media coming here and and us being prepared, um, to some extent, use that to try and influence the campaign but above all else it's touched everyone. Everyone. You don't have to be a parent for this to have a major impact on you and I think it's also been very, very important and some of the things which we have done and said which we didn't realise what impact it would have but so many thousands of people are doing small things to help us find Madeleine cos the worst feeling was helplessness.The absolute worst, that we had no bearing on finding her but once you start to do that then you start to feel a bit better and I hope that we are going to look back at the end of all this and say that we have done everything in our power but also that other people are helping in so many other ways and they feel that they are part of it.

(MO: "Conglomeration"? Really, Gerry? And you think that the fact that you were on holiday and in a "very safe" resort propelled your missing child case into the media for those reasons? Gerry, this is the third time within ten minutes that you've described the resort as safe. You're overdoing it. What are you hiding? And how were you "prepared" for the public support for Madeleine's case? The interviewer just described it as possibly the most publicised missing child case to date. How does one get "prepared" for something like that? I can't really make a whole lot of sense from the rest of his answer here because it's just a jumble of nonsense to me. He's just rattling and rambling after attempting to answer the question, which he did a little bit - "...information, technology and the speed of response...above all else, it's touched everyone."

I: Does it worry you that people might start to lose interest as time goes on, the media coverage diminishes inevitably?

G: For me, erm, we know that media coverage is not going to last a long time. It's lasted much longer and we have been much, much more successful in driving our message out than we could ever possibly have imagined. Personally, I think that it's gone beyond that at the minute and there is a feeling with many, many people out there that they will not allow this to happen and we know that and we pray that it doesn't happen again but when it does, the speed of the next response and the template that we have set will alter it and there has been so much good will and humanity out there that it really has restored that one evil act, actually, has resulted in so much good.

I: Where do you go from here? There's talk of travelling around Europe. Have you got any firm plans as yet?

K: We haven't got any firm plans. We're likely to travel in a few places in Europe, erm, but as yet, no, no definite plans.

(MO: Just a little weird to me that she doesn't answer with "I think" here when asked whether they'll travel. Their daughter has been missing for three weeks - there's no trace, no leads - and yet she's not theorising when she says they'll travel. In fact, she says they're likely to travel. She doesn't think so. She says it's likely. She's already considering future plans without any idea what's happened to Madeleine or where she might be or how long it might take to get any of these answers.)

I: And you got no plans to go back to the UK for the foreseeable future?

K: *whispers* No.

I: I think that everybody has just been incredibly impressed with you as a couple - how you've dealt with this. There was a period after a week or so where you looked as if you were almost broken and who could not understand that? And then there seemed to be a sort of strength come from somewhere. Is that a fair point? Is that what happened and what brought that about?

K: I think that's definitely true, isn't it? Erm... *exhales*

G: Certainly, you know, at the end of that first week, there was so much emotion that we had spent and we actually had a period where we discussed this openly that we felt devoid - completely devoid of emotion and the analogy that I like to use is a bit like when we were students and you got to your overdraft limit and you'd gone beyond it and there's just nothing left in the tank. Erm, also, I think physically and mentally we're shattered and um, but as you gradually get more on an even keel we started to get back into the black and we'd also worked tirelessly behind the scenes to put support mechanisms in place including our legal team. The response with the fund which was really driven by offers rather than us thinking that we needed it and once these were in place, then it helped us to focus on what we really needed to focus on.

(MO: I can't theorise or speculate about the way he describes the emotion they felt. I've never been in a situation that's even remotely similar to this. I get that he'd create an analogy for people outside looking in to help them understand what it was like to be completely numb like that. BUT - this is the first time that either of them has described feelings. They used terms like "guilt" and "grieving" but didn't elaborate whatsoever. Here, Gerry wants to go into detail and help the listeners understand and relate to how being "completely devoid of emotion" felt like. He likens it to being a student and overdoing it and feeling depleated and empty. Then he uses a financial term, "back into the black" which is strange to me. I don't know what to make of it but it stands out. It doesn't describe how he's piecing himself back together after being 'shattered'. He's gone from being in the red to "back in the black" like emotions can be likened to a financial status. He might as well have said that losing Madeleine was like going bankrupt. It doesn't at all relate to or describe the situation of being a parent of a missing child. He describes how they "worked tirelessly to put support mechanisms in place" - like he's delivering a status report to a boardroom of executives. At no point in this interview has Gerry McCann spoken about the situation like a parent. He's describing it and explaining it like he's been dragged in by his superiors to explain a problem in a business. Is this just his way of coping, or is there something more sinister behind it?)

I: Well everyone who's been watching, everyone who's been following Madeleine's case over the past three weeks just wishes you all the best. Thanks very much Gerry, thanks very much.

G: Thanks again.
K: Thanks very much, thank you.

(MO: Where. Are. The. TEARS?! Their daughter is THREE years old. Neither one of them is holding back emotion whatsoever. There are some silences, some pauses, some deep inhales and exhales, but that's it. Neither of them are getting choked up. Neither of them are visually suppressing emotions. Neither of them have seemingly any idea what fate has befallen their daughter. Are they really just numbed out of their minds by week three?! Shouldn't the stress and urgency be tugging desperately at their hearts by this point? They have absolutely no answers, no idea, no theories as to why or how their daughter has disappeared and yet they're fully composed, calm and neither of them are begging or stressing for their daughter to be returned safely. I just don't get it.)

@jypsijemini I saw your link on the Sievers thread. I've followed this case from the off, was admin on one of the biggest sites for years until I got sick of the trolling.

I'll be following this thread, good work!

Thank you, @ScotAng

This case is one that I am particularly passionate about because of the alarming discrepancies in the McCann's behaviours, statements and the evidence which came to light.

One source which really captured my attention was a statement analysis:

Unfortunately, this was one of the only cases (and McCann interviews) I could find covered by this particular expert. I was amazed by his detailed and thorough review of their statements as he dissected them word for word and explained what this revealed.

I was inspired to apply my own amateur statement analysis on the rest of their interviews as well as other cases where the accused denies all involvement or knowledge regarding murders, missing children etc.

When combined with the science of body language and facial expressions, statement analysis has a serious weight to it when trying to find out whether a person is being honest or deceitful! Very intriguing!

Statement analysis is intriguing, plus I like Peter Hyatt. I also like Richard Halls' videos, very informative for anyone who doesn't know the case well.

I step away from this case for long periods of time now as I get sooo frustrated with it all, but I always do come back to it.

Thank you, @ScotAng

This case is one that I am particularly passionate about because of the alarming discrepancies in the McCann's behaviours, statements and the evidence which came to light.

Unfortunately, this was one of the only cases (and McCann interviews) I could find covered by this particular expert. I was amazed by his detailed and thorough review of their statements as he dissected them word for word and explained what this revealed.

I was inspired to apply my own amateur statement analysis on the rest of their interviews as well as other cases where the accused denies all involvement or knowledge regarding murders, missing children etc.

When combined with the science of body language and facial expressions, statement analysis has a serious weight to it when trying to find out whether a person is being honest or deceitful! Very intriguing!

Peter Hyatt is excellent at what he does.

I just watched the Peter Hyatt video for the first time .... he sure makes some good points.

I had never suspected the parents , but now not so sure. I always attributed their cool demeanor to the fact they are both doctors. Doctors see plenty of things that would make most people faint and keeping composure is part of their normal lives.

I still have trouble with the timelines if they did it .... I recall that even the friends they were with checked on the McCann children , that would never happen if the parents were trying to hide something.

body language has long been outdated!

There's nothing about body language in statement analysis.

Thank you, @ScotAng

Yes, that's a fascinating video and analysis - I vaguely remember watching it some years ago, but watched it again last night. When you combine his analysis (and his observations ring true throughout other McCann interviews) with the conclusions the Portuguese police were quickly coming to before the British government got involved and started applying diplomatic pressure, it seems pretty clear what happened. It's not like the evidence is lacking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back