First visitors step onto canyon skywalk

We're headed to the canyon in May, going to do the mule trip down to Phantom Ranch at the bottom, and we thought we would be able to catch the Skywalk on our way back to Vegas. Then we found out that not only are they charging $25 per person to walk out on the thing, they are also charging a high (I heard $65, that can't be right!) per person fee to enter their reservation and they are anticipating waits of several hours for your chance to go out on it. So we are going to pass on it this time. Maybe if we are in that part of the world again after the novelty has worn off, we'll give it a try.

Heck yeah! I'd go out on it in a minute. I think it would be cool! I'm thinking the price is somewhere around $50, though. I might be willing to pay that, depending on how long they let me stay out there.

Heck yeah! I'd go out on it in a minute. I think it would be cool! I'm thinking the price is somewhere around $50, though. I might be willing to pay that, depending on how long they let me stay out there.

I'm glad it's expensive! Otherwise, I'd have to go for fear of being called a wimp.

I'm glad it's expensive! Otherwise, I'd have to go for fear of being called a wimp.

What, you'd rather be called a "cheap'' wimp?? :D :D

What, you'd rather be called a "cheap'' wimp?? :D :D

I was going for "stalwart" and "level-headed," so it appears I miscalculated. :blush:

BTW and for those who like this sort of thing, Palm Springs has a tram that goes almost straight up to 8,400 feet. The floor isn't glass but the walls are and the whole thing hangs from a cable about the size of my wrist. (It's only $20 or so, and, IM, I am neither too cheap nor too wimpy. I go up all the time.)

I was going for "stalwart" and "level-headed," so it appears I miscalculated. :blush:

BTW and for those who like this sort of thing, Palm Springs has a tram that goes almost straight up to 8,400 feet. The floor isn't glass but the walls are and the whole thing hangs from a cable about the size of my wrist. (It's only $20 or so, and, IM, I am neither too cheap nor too wimpy. I go up all the time.)

Ooh! When I come visit, we HAVE to go!

And yes, I will report back to WS on whether or not you went with me :D

I've been up on that tram Nova; I thoroughly enjoyed it, and also the hike up on top, up through the snow line.

I have one of the large stones, from the base of that mountain, in my circular fern garden, which is underneath my giant Deodora tree, in the backyard. It's perfect. Thanks.

There are always the stories about Native Americans and their (alleged) lack of fear of heights.

I'd go out on it. I do have some fear of heights, to be honest, but it looks like there's little risk of falling off. There's no way Mrs. would go near it, though.
, thanks for the article; all of the ironworkers I knew, used to fortify themselves with liquid courage, both before, and especially, after work. They said they needed to do that, to keep doing, what they were doing.

Ooh! When I come visit, we HAVE to go!

And yes, I will report back to WS on whether or not you went with me :D

It's a date. The escarpment of Mt. San Jacinto is the steepest in North America, so the views are unbelievable. One of my very favorite places in the world!

Oh, and for those who find such things scary, I forgot to mention that the tram rotates as you rise, so you can't hold on too tight to anything because it keeps moving away from you.

I've been up on that tram Nova; I thoroughly enjoyed it, and also the hike up on top, up through the snow line.

I have one of the large stones, from the base of that mountain, in my circular fern garden, which is underneath my giant Deodora tree, in the backyard. It's perfect. Thanks.

I am shocked, Buzz! Haven't you ever heard of leaving the wilderness exactly as you find it???!!!

(Just kidding: I have some stones from there in my garden as well. BTW, when are you moving here? Most everyone is from the Bay, so I figure you know them all.)

I am shocked, Buzz! Haven't you ever heard of leaving the wilderness exactly as you find it???!!!

(Just kidding: I have some stones from there in my garden as well. BTW, when are you moving here? Most everyone is from the Bay, so I figure you know them all.)
Nova, I'm allergic to temperatures over 80 degrees. Palm Springs is great in the winter.

Nova, I'm allergic to temperatures over 80 degrees. Palm Springs is great in the winter.

Aw, you can get used to it. Cold showers and boxer shorts are the key! And a large fan pointed at the swimming pool in July.

(I lived in Venice, CA, for 20 years and used to whine if the temp went above 75, but now, not so much. :))

I had to laugh because I am allergic to temps under 80!!

As relayed by my 17 YO ... "your all big babies" (me included)
She claims the glass is safe.. And she also claims she would walk on it if not for the price tag.

I had to laugh because I am allergic to temps under 80!!

Well, we had near record lows this winter, in the low 20s. Many of us are busy clearing away plants that froze to death.

And they say California doesn't have weather!

No sireeeee, I'm not going on it.. :chicken: :snooty: It's giving me the shivers just looking at it..

No sireeeee, I'm not going on it.. :chicken: :snooty: It's giving me the shivers just looking at it..

Thank goodness, PD! I'd be skeered to go on it with you and your big Ta-Ta's! :D :D :blowkiss:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back