GUILTY FL - April Barber, 27, shot to death on beach, St Johns County, 17 Aug 2002

Do any of you think Ashleigh Banfield could be right about Barber hiring a hitman? Otherwise, how did he shoot himself four times? He must have a very high pain threshold. I can't stand to get a hangnail.

Ugggh, I missed most of the day's testimony due to real life. I hope my VCR kicked in! :doh:

NoraLee said:
Do any of you think Ashleigh Banfield could be right about Barber hiring a hitman? Otherwise, how did he shoot himself four times? He must have a very high pain threshold. I can't stand to get a hangnail.
Actually my husband was watching with me a little bit on his lunch break and I told him what the trial was about and he said, have they investigated a hit man? A hitman could explain the presence of the tire tracks they found from a second car and the eye witness report of the K car. I do think it's possible, but the police investigated Justin's finances and found no large sum of money missing. Every cash advance he took on his credit cards was turned over into an e trading account. My husband says all it would take is for the guy to squirrel away $500 a week for 6 months and he has enough to pay a hitman. We know he planned this for six months based on the computer searches. Truthfully, I don't know if Justin would have trusted anyone else to shoot at him 4 times. I think he would have rather do it himself. The gun shot residue expert said it appeared as if the shots were a foot away or so, if I recall correctly. Certainly less than an arm's length away isn't it?

CordovaMom said:
Actually my husband was watching with me a little bit on his lunch break and I told him what the trial was about and he said, have they investigated a hit man? A hitman could explain the presence of the tire tracks they found from a second car and the eye witness report of the K car. I do think it's possible, but the police investigated Justin's finances and found no large sum of money missing. Every cash advance he took on his credit cards was turned over into an e trading account. My husband says all it would take is for the guy to squirrel away $500 a week for 6 months and he has enough to pay a hitman. We know he planned this for six months based on the computer searches. Truthfully, I don't know if Justin would have trusted anyone else to shoot at him 4 times. I think he would have rather do it himself. The gun shot residue expert said it appeared as if the shots were a foot away or so, if I recall correctly. Certainly less than an arm's length away isn't it?
Good point about $500/week for 6 months going to a hitman. But, as you say, who would trust anyone to shoot at them four times.

Have they said on CTV who the people are in the courtroom they put the camera on every now and then? If it's ever mentioned, I haven't caught it.

NoraLee said:
I'm not sure, but I think that this guy is guilty one way or the other. Hopefully, the jury will think that there is no reason for Justin to lie about so many things if he were innocent. I mean, what is this deal about him saying that he tried to lift and move his wife various ways that night? What was the purpose of that lying? Why not just say that she was shot where she fell??

I'm leaning towards him doing this to himself. He seems like the type that would think that only he could do a "bang up" job so to speak. :) Even though he had four wounds, they were not life-threatening. If the gunman had the presence of mind to shoot his wife in the head, why didn't he also just shoot Justin in the head on his first shot? Justin was the much bigger threat between the two.

I think Justin did it all by his lonesome with no help. I was able to watch the last today and things he stated did not make sense. Such as how he could not recall having sex with the girl from Enterprise. Could not recall how he got a hold of a few of his *Ladies*

NoraLee said:
This is a thread from the Court TV message board where someone says she knows Shannon Kennedy. The thread turns kinda ugly but it's interesting if the poster actually does know SK.

http://boards.courttv.com/showthread.php?threadid=266874&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I don't visit their message boards very often because of all the name-calling. This place is a lot more civilized. :)
I have been reading over at CTV about this trial. I agree with you that many of the threads turn nasty, but I have found that most of the threads in the Justin Barber forum to be relatively civil.

NoraLee said:
This is a thread from the Court TV message board where someone says she knows Shannon Kennedy. The thread turns kinda ugly but it's interesting if the poster actually does know SK.

http://boards.courttv.com/showthread.php?threadid=266874&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I don't visit their message boards very often because of all the name-calling. This place is a lot more civilized. :)

some long time members here at WS will recognize the starter of this thread as we have heard the turkey story.

izzyB said:
some long time members here at WS will recognize the starter of this thread as we have heard the turkey story.
I thought I recognized her too... DL :rolleyes:

izzyB said:
AMong other stories.Ohh and how can we forget the englishman??? Excuse me I thought she moved to England already Laffin :laugh:

I must have missed hearing that the prosecution rested --- went out for a few minutes this afternoon and come back to find out the prosecution rested. Defense is expected to begin Monday. What will I do tomorrow without a trial to watch.

CordovaMom said:
I must have missed hearing that the prosecution rested --- went out for a few minutes this afternoon and come back to find out the prosecution rested. Defense is expected to begin Monday. What will I do tomorrow without a trial to watch.

2 things: go over to CTV and read the forum on this case. a lot of friends of the defendant and april are posting and it is interesting (as things usually get over there). but they do offer an insight into the case we are not getting from the testimony.

and maybe there will be a verdict in the polk case!

indigomood said:
I thought I recognized her too... DL :rolleyes:
I was wondering if it were she. What's her story? I thought that she was retired or worked as Walmart security or something like that... Is she still active law enforcement with an agency??

Sounds like her son was doing drugs and dropped out of college (if you believe "Sig" or whoever was posting as a Shannon Kennedy supporter). If he threw away a professional baseball career, that's sad. "Ladycop" says in one of her posts that her son was recruited by major league baseball. Yet, I don't see other details that he was actually playing for any team. :waitasec:

nanandjim said:
I was wondering if it were she. What's her story? I thought that she was retired or worked as Walmart security or something like that... Is she still active law enforcement with an agency??

Sounds like her son was doing drugs and dropped out of college (if you believe "Sig" or whoever was posting as a Shannon Kennedy supporter). If he threw away a professional baseball career, that's sad. "Ladycop" says in one of her posts that her son was recruited by major league baseball. Yet, I don't see other details that he was actually playing for any team. :waitasec:
Nanand jim: We heard that same story years ago about her son. When I PM'ed her asking his name she never would tell me.I think the reason was she knew I am a baseball nut and I followed the Draft because at the Time some of the kids I coached in Little league could have been drafted that year and I was watching like a hawk the draft.

JDB said:
Nanand jim: We heard that same story years ago about her son. When I PM'ed her asking his name she never would tell me.I think the reason was she knew I am a baseball nut and I followed the Draft because at the Time some of the kids I coached in Little league could have been drafted that year and I was watching like a hawk the draft.
His first name is listed on that thread at CTV. "Sig" says his name is "Ivar" or something like that. That's an unusual name. So, I am sure that you would have known it if he were drafted. "Sig" also says that he stocks shelves or something like that. So, I'm not sure that he went on to do anything much with his life. In his defense, who knows if there is any truth to what is posted.

Question for Floridians -- does everyone in Florida chew gum in court? I've seen family of the defendant, family of the victim, and now a WITNESS!!! Since when is chewing gum in court allowed?

Maybe the gum chewers are related to Britney Spears. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back