GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets hope it's life.

Makes me nervous since Florida acquitted Casey Anthony. She was so obviously guilty of murder.

rsbm

15 words which fit perfectly on a Post-It Note.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Caught up on testimony. Barring something I'm unaware of in jury instructions, my vote is guilty of first degree murder. Evidence shows premeditation and, based on the Florida statute, she is mentally ill BUT knew her actions were wrong and would have consequence. This is, of course, my opinion based on the testimony and the evidence. We know the murder was planned based on her journal entries. That precludes any finding of 2d degree murder or manslaughter. Beyond that, the question of sanity must be addressed. I agree with the pro witnesses that despite her mental illness, she understood what she was doing was wrong. (Not telling anyone so her plan wouldn't be thwarted; apologizing to parker) She also understood consequence ( not wanting to go to jail; parker being angry). I believe anger and substance abuse were the primary motivators of this crime. Her anger and substance abuse were not helped by the fact that she was mentally ill. Unfortunately, hindsight being what it is, she should have been committed (IMO) back in 2010. Just terribly sad.

rsbm/bbm: Agreed. She is sober, and someone makes sure she is taking her meds in a very structured controlled enviroment. There has been mention of problems while locked up. Yes, she did well answering questions, but that is a far cry from being "well", imo. She is also very intelligent and a con artist. With little support, I don't want her out roaming the streets.

jmo

I'd also heard of problems while being locked up. Perhaps that's the reason she is handcuffed in the courtroom, unlike other FL trials I've seen.

I would be interested if she was taking these as prescribed or if she was cheeking them which is a big problem with MI because many don't want to take them because they are paranoid and delusional that they are being poisoned. I've seen this a lot with the patients in and out of psych hospitals.

Only to know for sure if drs were monitoring blood .

In one of the doctors' testimony (maybe 2?) they referenced JS having a blood draw in Dec. 2010 - and mentioned that at that time her Lithium was at therapeutic level -- so she was taking that drug as prescribed at that time

Lets hope it's life.

I only heard murder in the first degree, 2nd degree, manslaughter, and the gun charge when the judge was going over the jury instructions.

So if its first degree automatic life sentence since DP off the table?

Makes me nervous since Florida acquitted Casey Anthony. She was so obviously guilty of murder.

If she's found guilty 1st degree, sentencing in Florida could range from 25 years (followed by parole for the rest of her life) to life.

She's now in her early 50's -- with all her health issues, I doubt she'd live past 75 (if, for instance, she got a 25 year sentence). Of course, there's the possibility of getting out earlier on good behavior. But would she be able to maintain good behavior with her mental health problems?

Like the poster above, I don't quite see the logic of putting 2nd degree or manslaughter on the table, when it's clear the murders were premeditated. It's either guilty 1st degree, or not-guilty, insane -- imo

JS from what I see on video has issues but the jail medical has her on medication that has her somewhat even...not perfect by far. Over the past years JS, through her military training, has learned how to manipulate people and their minds very well. So well that she got all kinds of meds. She may not have taken them all, but saved them, mixing them with her drink of preference when she wanted to. This was JS choice....she had that choice, I don't believe she was that ill until she really starts to mix all the junk together. She had a choice.

The one thing that I am surprised JS has not tried to bring into this tragedy was PTSD from her time in the service. Just strange that her defense has stayed away from that.

Guilty, life without parole, is my vote....thanks for listening, and like all who posted their opinions, this is MOO. Have a good night.

RSBM

I agree with a lot of what you say. However, I do want to point out that even in the best of circumstances (the 9 months she was an inpatient at National Inst. of Mental Health -- where JS received careful monitoring, took her drugs regularly, wasn't gambling or drinking, etc.) this was a very, very sick woman. She had at least one psychotic episode in that hospital, and apparently a number of times that she had to be isolated (padded room, etc.).

Yes, JS contributed to her illness by drinking and gambling (although one of the docs said that was a symptom of the illness; common with bipolar patients). But she will never be well -- even if she were to make all the right choices -- even if she takes all her meds, even if she's not drinking or taking pain meds or gambling. She will probably never even be functional enough to care for herself, hold down a job, have any sort of a normal life.

It's doubtful that JS suffered PTSD while in the Army. I believe she was stationed in Germany the entire time, and she was a Russian linguist, interrogating Russian defectors. A stressful job, but not like being in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther