FL FL - Carl Brandt, linked to 26 murders?

upallnite said:
West Summerland Key is just south of Big Pine Key, I wonder if the dates correlate.
I must be tired, nite Mysteriew!!!!

mysteriew said:
He didn't only kill Michelle Jones -- who had opened her south Seminole County home to her aunt and uncle. He systematically dismembered Jones' body, removing her head and then using kitchen knives to cut on her body with the skill of a surgeon.

After remaining tight-lipped about their investigation for a year, the investigators recently revealed additional details of the slayings to the Orlando Sentinel. They are certain Brandt killed at least two other times, in South Florida, and they hope their investigation will ultimately resolve other murder cases.

The focus is on Florida, but investigators discovered that Brandt made trips across the country as well as abroad.

An FBI computer program selected the 26 slayings that are the focus of the investigation, some simply because the victims were young women, but many because there were unusual aspects to the slaying, such as mutilation.

Not a typical case

Murder-suicides are typically open-and-shut cases, and, technically, the murder case of Michelle Jones and Teri Brandt is closed. But from the minute the two veteran investigators walked into Jones' house just south of Altamonte Springs the night of Sept. 15, 2004, they knew there was nothing typical about the case.

Neither had ever seen anything like the gruesome scene.

"We had deputies getting sick," Jaynes said.

Brandt, 47, walked into the garage and climbed a stepladder. He tied a bedsheet around his neck and hanged himself.

13-year-old killed mother

News of the crime shocked Brandt's friends, neighbors and family. Everyone told of a compassionate, friendly man nicknamed Charlie who would do anything for anyone.

The first bombshell came when investigators learned Brandt, when he was 13, fatally shot his mother and tried to kill his father. It was a secret kept even from Brandt's two younger sisters, who thought their mother died in a car crash.

Brandt spent a year in an Indiana mental institution and was taken back by his father when he was released.

"I think that's when Charlie was born," Jaynes said.

Carl Brandt visited his father, Herbert, in Ormond Beach two days before the bodies of the Brandts and Jones were found. Brandt's father told investigators that, as his son was leaving, " 'Charlie hugged me like he's never hugged me before,' " Hemmert said.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-...track=mostemailedlink&coll=orl-home-headlines

Caution: This article is very detailed and Graphic

The correct url for this article is:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-...stemailedlink&coll=orl-news-headlines-osceola

Didn't Hannibal Lecter say in the "Silence of the Lambs" that serial killers are made not born? I wonder if this is true and what happened to make Charlie like this?

For one, I think that it was very cruel and inhumane of the father to shoot the family dog. It makes me wonder what else went on in that household or if the father went hunting or killed/hurt and skinned other animals in front of little Charlie.

nanandjim said:
Didn't Hannibal Lecter say in the "Silence of the Lambs" that serial killers are made not born? I wonder if this is true and what happened to make Charlie like this?

For one, I think that it was very cruel and inhumane of the father to shoot the family dog. It makes me wonder what else went on in that household or if the father went hunting or killed/hurt and skinned other animals in front of little Charlie.

In one of the earlier articles it was mentioned that the sisters didn't know their brother had killed the mother. This is very typical of the "secrets" dysfunctional families harbor. Animal cruelty is also a big part of what makes a killer, a killer. Some of Brandt's murders were very horrific with all the slicing and dicing.....most of us would be horrified why not him? Exposure at an early age to hunting...don't know but I'll bet his father could shed some light on this.

When you look at the articles from last year, police were suspecting him of being a serial killer right away. It's been a year, and they now suspect him of at least 26? This is amazing.

A few of the original articles on the double-murder/suicide, which contain some images and video content:
3 Found Dead In Seminole County Home

http://www.wesh.com/news/3734765/detail.html

Police Say Brandt May Have Been Serial Killer

http://www.wesh.com/news/3792169/detail.html

Woman's Killer May Have Struck Before

http://www.wesh.com/news/3752492/detail.html

concernedperson said:
In one of the earlier articles it was mentioned that the sisters didn't know their brother had killed the mother. This is very typical of the "secrets" dysfunctional families harbor. Animal cruelty is also a big part of what makes a killer, a killer. Some of Brandt's murders were very horrific with all the slicing and dicing.....most of us would be horrified why not him? Exposure at an early age to hunting...don't know but I'll bet his father could shed some light on this.

The animal cruelty is sometimes one of the early signs, but it is the early SK who usually commits the cruelty and animal killings. In this case Carl wasn't the killer, he is the one who was upset by the killing. Now I am going to be hated for saying this. But there are two points of view to the putting down of an animal. Many people (not me) will shoot an ill animal rather than watch it suffer to death (Just like this father did). For reasons of their own, they will shoot the animal, rather than pay a vet to put them down. Wasn't it 'old yeller' that the dog was ill and they shot rather than watch him suffer? That is totally different than the animal torture and killing that a SK does. An early SK may torture an animal or kill an animal just to watch it die. Totally different picture here. This was a kid who suffered at the death of his dog. Not at all atypical. What was atypical was his reaction to it.

mysteriew said:
The animal cruelty is sometimes one of the early signs, but it is the early SK who usually commits the cruelty and animal killings. In this case Carl wasn't the killer, he is the one who was upset by the killing. Now I am going to be hated for saying this. But there are two points of view to the putting down of an animal. Many people (not me) will shoot an ill animal rather than watch it suffer to death (Just like this father did). For reasons of their own, they will shoot the animal, rather than pay a vet to put them down. Wasn't it 'old yeller' that the dog was ill and they shot rather than watch him suffer? That is totally different than the animal torture and killing that a SK does. An early SK may torture an animal or kill an animal just to watch it die. Totally different picture here. This was a kid who suffered at the death of his dog. Not at all atypical. What was atypical was his reaction to it.

This is true he suffered because it was his pet. I am basing this on info from another serial killer, Keith Jesperson. His father put down his favorite pet but he went on to abuse and torture other animals.He also was exposed to hunting etc. at a very early age. The rage and anger later evolved to women. I can't remember how many people he killed.....some he knew or some he happen to run into. He was fairly indescrimate with exception that it was always someone he could control.

concernedperson said:
This is true he suffered because it was his pet. I am basing this on info from another serial killer, Keith Jesperson. His father put down his favorite pet but he went on to abuse and torture other animals.He also was exposed to hunting etc. at a very early age. The rage and anger later evolved to women. I can't remember how many people he killed.....some he knew or some he happen to run into. He was fairly indescrimate with exception that it was always someone he could control.

Hunting is common in the rural areas, and boys often learn to hunt at an early age. My nephew started hunting at about that age, and I know of several others. When you grow up on a farm, or in a farming community you just sort of have an understanding that animals get killed for meat. It isn't looked at as cruel as long as the manner of death is by shooting. Not really the type of killing associated with a serial killer either. When a serial killer does it- it is for the enjoyment of watching the death. Often it involves some torture of the animal prior to killing, in order to enjoy the animals pain.

Here's another possible victim, Sandra Binns, who disappeared from Big Pine Key in 1991. Just adding her, since I haven't seen her in any newspaper articles, though I'm sure it's occurred to the cops and locals.

has police looked at Carl for the murder of Diane Brown who disappeared from Pomona and her remain turned up in 3 different location

On 01/18/1981, Diane's legs were found in a trash bag near Summit Ave. / East Ave. in
Rancho Cucamonga. On 01/26/1981, Diane's torso was found in a
similar trash bag in the south Chino area. On 02/28/1981, Diane's
head was found about 1/3 mile from where her legs were found

Carl "Charlie" Brandt's first victim was his mother:

Apparently, Brandt had forgotten to tell his wife that at the age of 13, he walked into the bathroom of the family home in Fort Wayne, Indiana, – where his mother (who was eight months pregnant) was taking a bath while his father read to her – shot his father in the back and fired several rounds into his mother. Angela, Brandt’s 15-year-old sister, was in the house and when she confronted her brother, he fired at her point-blank, but the gun misfired and she was able to wrestle the firearm from his hands, calm him to some extent and run to a neighbor’s house. Charlie also left the house, walked next door to the Radcliffe home and when Sandi Radcliffe opened the door, he nonchalantly told her: “Sandi, I just shot my mom and dad.” Brandt’s father survived, but his mother was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other children in the house were sleeping. When authorities asked Brandt why he shot his family, he claimed he “just felt the urge and something must have snapped.”
http://whatliesbeyond.boards.net/thread/3953/key-west-ripper

I just watched an old Dr. Phil episode about this case last night, I was overwhelmed with sadness. The family of Tina, the niece who was mutilated, was so sorrowful I could hardly contain myself. They discussed a law they were trying to implement, Michelle Lynn’s Law, but these years later, I don't see anything about it online. I wonder what ever became of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back