GUILTY FL - Damien Kornegay, 16, fatally shot, Columbia County, 5 Jan 2015

Maybe taking the gun from her parents' room?! Really, they should let it go. All IMO.

I want to know more about these charges -- how could you be charged with burglary in your own home??? KWIM?

I want to know more about these charges -- how could you be charged with burglary in your own home??? KWIM?

IIRC, the master bedroom door was locked so the older daughter went outside, pushed in the A/C, entered through the window and got the gun. Does that constitute felony burglary? In one's own home, as you say? I'd love to hear this explained, too.

From the first article you linked...

During the hearing, Columbia County State Attorney Jeff Siegmeister told Judge Johnson he requested that Ariel reside in a long-term therapeutic setting rather than be released to her parents.

Is this REALLY an option here? Wow. As for the burglary charge, I'm not sure what to think.

the ''nasty'' in me wonders if the girl couldn't rightfully press charges for ''false imprisonment'' against her parents JMO

As ugly as this case already reads, I agree that it will only get uglier. I literally have a sick feeling in my stomach reading the articles and already have a sense of what was going on. I sincerely hope that the truth is easily discerned in this crime and that the true victims are identified and treated with the compassion and dignity deserved. These children will continue to weigh heavy on my heart...every child deserves a parent that protects them and makes them feel loved and valued.

Back here again today. Those kids have not left my mind since I first heard about this case yesterday. I alternate between immense sadness, stomach-churning nausea and blind rage at the parents, uncle, CPS and everyone else who so miserably failed those children. I have no new information or anything else to add to this thread, but I will continue to hold the kids in my thoughts and pray that they are able to heal and discover true hope and love one day.

Probably the only parenting decision they have ever made that I agree with. Thank G*d!

The parents of a 15-year-old girl who police say shot and killed her older brother near White Springs in January have signed away their parental rights.

The State Attorney's Office said that it plans to file felony child abuse charges against the parents of Ariel Kornegay.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/kornegay-parents-give-up-parental-rights/31969498

Oh gosh I rarely get teary-eyed when I read here, but I am so happy for A that she seems to have many in the system who are rooting for her and care very deeply. Common sense, imo, has prevailed. I wish her the strength she will need for ongoing healing.

There was no mention of the 11 year old in the article. Has she been removed from the house also? I read the 3 yo is with CCPS. I really hope Ariel can get the psychological help and support she needs. This was so tragic all the way around. The "parents" on house arrest? How about parenting classes...

How about not ever giving their kids back? I suspect the sexual abuse may have been generational within this family. It is the only explanation that makes sense to me as far as the uncle next door. The unfettered access for many years to the children of the household. The subsequent apparent scapegoating of A by the family. Basically it looks to me as if this child was abused for years and then imprisoned and punished for years after because she was the cause of good ole uncle Kevin going to jail.I pray she is doing alright with the terms of her plea deal and that her parents never have the responsibility of caring for so much as an animal let alone children.

There was no mention of the 11 year old in the article. Has she been removed from the house also? I read the 3 yo is with CCPS. I really hope Ariel can get the psychological help and support she needs. This was so tragic all the way around. The "parents" on house arrest? How about parenting classes...

How about fixing the "parents" so it can't happen again. I doubt classes will help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back