GUILTY FL - David James, 41, slain in dispute, "Stand Your Ground", Valrico, 25 Sept 2010 *probation*

I think professional courtesy may be the cause of his smile on the perp walk. He thinks he is going to slide out of this. I think there is too much public interest for that to happen now, thank goodness. If the charges are not upgraded, it will be a huge miscarriage of justice.

O/T - I'm hanging in there. Thanks.

I've never been on a perp walk LOL, but the last thing I would do is tick people off even more by smiling about it. Gosh, look up, look down, look stern, look sad, look mean as the devil, but dont' be smiling! I don't find anything funny or happy about a perp's walk. This guy killed a man and he further goads the victim's family, friends and the public by smiling, is he mentally unbalanced? Gosh!

I am really worried about the children who witnessed this crime being called to testify at trial. The little girl was upset when questioned by police. I hope there was a psychologist and a lawyer present. I am glad the mom is seeking counseling for her daughter. Poor baby. The 14 yr old boy is a poor baby too. We all know how difficult it is for teens when tragedies occur. I hope his parents will seek counseling for him too.

MOO

wm

Perhaps Dooley thinks he will be the new Bernard Goetz, taking back the tennis courts for the good citizens. :croc:

Perhaps Dooley thinks he will be the new Bernard Goetz, taking back the tennis courts for the good citizens. :croc:

LOL! The persona he projects certainly insinuates that he has a high opinion of himself! JMO.

wm

LOL! The persona he projects certainly insinuates that he has a high opinion of himself! :loser: JMO.

wm

ETA My LOL at Paintrs comment was not intended as disrespect towards the victim or his family in any way. We sleuths just need a chuckle once in a while......

ETA My LOL at Paintrs comment was not intended as disrespect towards the victim or his family in any way. We sleuths just need a chuckle once in a while......

It's all good, Waltzing. My comment meant no disrespect either towards the family. Rather it was a bit of sarcasm and fustration resulting from the senseless, unnecessary loss of a good man's life.

Dooley should have nothing to smile about. As my son (when he was young) used to say 'He did a bad thing'.

This whole situation disgusts me. So WHAT if the perp is former LE?? When a cop (former or current) commits a heinous act like taking an innocent life, all 'professional courtesy' should go out the window! They're no better than the criminals they've pursued throughout their career.

...and manslaughter as the charge? I have no words...

God bless this victim, his family, and all those who had to witness this murder. (That is what it was, IMHO.) That poor baby girl... :(

From what I have read about this incident, Florida has some 'stand your ground' law that in essence allows an armed individual to use deadly force against someone threatening them. Can anyone there elaborate on this?
This continues to boggle my mind. The victim was NOT armed, only words were exchanged. There may have been a scuffle, I'd bet if so that the victim was trying to get the ex cop to put his gun down.
People in Tampa better raise cain. This guy is going to go on his merry way if they don't.

Yes, unfortunately, FL does have this law, IMO. I'd be surprised if it doesn't come up in this case.

Anyways, here's a link to the FL statute about this.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

So do I belinda. I feel like the manslaughter charge is just disrespectful. I wish LE would up the charge to at least 2nd degree murder. For heavens sake, he brought a gun out with him to run off young skateboarders! I think his intentions were pretty clear. MOO.

I'm can't help but wonder if some professional courtesy going on here since this guy is a former LEO. Thinking of Drew Peterson here....again MOO.

ot hope you are doing well these days.

wm

Hooyah!! Perfect post! This man got out his gun, loaded it, brought it outside to threaten children, shot an unarmed man and is charged with manslaughter?

As for the Florida law. Was this man trying to enter the shooters house? Carrying a bat or tire iron, that he could actually hurt this shooter with?

The only weapon he may have had at his disposal was a basketball. My God, if the system allows murder in this case, that law needs to be repealed. This is a home protection statute. This father was not invading or in any way threatening this mans home!

Hooyah!! Perfect post! This man got out his gun, loaded it, brought it outside to threaten children, shot an unarmed man and is charged with manslaughter?

As for the Florida law. Was this man trying to enter the shooters house? Carrying a bat or tire iron, that he could actually hurt this shooter with?

The only weapon he may have had at his disposal was a basketball. My God, if the system allows murder in this case, that law needs to be repealed. This is a home protection statute. This father was not invading or in any way threatening this mans home!

ITA! From what I've read about the court cases for Stand Your Ground here, it seems to have been expanded from home and vehicle to include personal space in public. I'm gonna try and find some cases to post.

The Florida law is an unfortunate example of what happens when Second amendment extremists pass laws without thinking about practical consequences. I favor allowing private gun ownership and that carrying a gun with a permit is fine. Some folks seem to envision a society where we all walk around armed and carrying guns in plain sight. It doesn't take into account the fact that so many unstable people are out there.
I will never believe that this guy would have been arrested or even charged had the public not reacted. And, that is chilling.

I think the DA needs to be pressured further to upgrade these charges to an appropriate level. This was an execution in front of children. And the man has the audacity to smile about it. What kind of sick mind must he have? And he was driving school buses. Makes ya wonder.

accused-valrico-shooters-bond-set-at-50k-092910

Dooley's bond was set at $50,000 but it is not known if he will make bail.

The judge also ordered Dooley to move out of the Twin Lakes subdivision.

Charges against Dooley were announced Tuesday, two days after the shooting, on a decision from the State Attorney's Office. Detectives are still investigating the incident.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1124863.ece

"Those of us who have the privilege of knowing him personally and intimately, we know him as a quiet, unassuming, intelligent man who loves everyone and who will willingly forgo his own comfort for the safety of another," Langton said.

snip...

Langton said Dooley is a retiree, father of three and someone who enjoyed his job as a school bus driver.

He has been married to his wife, Pat, for 42 years, he said.

"He believes in family first and is always willing to lend a hand to anyone in need," he said.

Dooley loves fixing cars, listening to jazz and tinkering with computers. He's a ham radio operator.

Added by me...

And he took a loaded gun to a play area and so caused the death of another husband, father and friend.

This article gives an excellent step-by-step chain of events of the shooting. After reading comments here I couldn't decide who was right or wrong, so I searched for more info. Now that I've seen what (supposedly) happened, I think it can go either way. Seems to me that both were right and both were wrong. What will the outcome be?
http://bit.ly/9lwv9D

Don't worry, Paintr. IMO, this case doesn't sound like 'Stand your ground' at all. It sounds like Mr. Dooley was the aggressor. My personal feelings on it: he won't get away with it.

Thank you kindly, Tuffy. That is reassuring.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back