GUILTY FL - Daymeon Wygant, 16 mos, smothered, Homosassa, April 2014

You have to have a license to fish, drive a car, run (most) businesses. Yet any careless person can have a baby, and treat the baby like this. How do we prevent this?!?!?

Right!!! There should be test you have to pass to have children.

It would be pretty basic like when a baby is crying do you
A. Feed the baby
B. Hold the baby
C. Try both A and B or
D. Smother the baby till it stops crying....ugh smh

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/bn9/2014/4/22/homosassa_child_negl.html

I am disgusted, outraged, and so very saddened.

How and why does this keep happening???? What can be done? I want to do something, anything, to help at least one of these innocent children. I don't know where to begin. This should be top priority in our world, protecting children from living these lives. What can I, or anyone, do??? I'm sorry for the rambling messages, I am just so hurt by this on behalf of the children who did/were/are suffering because of adults like these. :(

Don't be sorry for your rambling I did the same thing! Lol

But this is just so unreal. Like where were the neighbors, friends, family members. How didn't anyone notice.

I'm a mother to a 9 month old and one thing I've notice in my 9 months of being a new mom is I didn't have to bring my son to the doctors at all and no one would really notice.

It was just me being a typical new and good mother that made me make sure he got his shots and wellness checks on time. But it was up to me or no one would of noticed or really have cared.

So my idea is maybe there should be laws that you have to for the first year of life bring that baby to the doctors and document it if no doctor visit within reasonable amount of time then the CPS gets to visit you.

I think any real parent would have no problem with this. And this way the doctor can maybe pick up on any abuse.

I personally am just extremely awear of signs of abuse and keep my eye out for it. Its my way of making myself feel better about these horrible stories of child abuse.

Like I said my sons fathers family hates me right now but nobody realized how bad the child neglecting was because they weren't there. They don't read stories like this and dont understand how big of a deal it really is.

On the other hand sadly sometimes I think there is nothing we can do. They made that safe haven law so babies stopped ending up in dumpsters and still some people just don't care and put that baby in a dumpster knowing full well they could drop it off at a hospital, with a cop, church....anything. I don't get it.

OMG, this breaks my heart! How could anything, much less Xbox, be more important to you than your child? I am sorry but I just don't believe some people deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us. In cases like this, I wish justice moved more swiftly. I hope he gets the DP. He shouldn't even be allowed to file an appeal if he does. His child couldn't appeal his fate. This bozo shouldn't be allowed to fight for his own life.

And IMO if women would have some self respect and stop fathering children with deadbeats we would see a huge decrease in violence against children. But, that would be asking too much as the women seem just as stupid as the losers they breed with.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but my 15 month old means the world to me(and she was a surprise baby, I didn't think I would ever have children) and when I see people hurting and killing children it just makes me so mad. There are so many good people in the world who can't have children and wish they would be interrupted by cries to tend to a precious child.

Don't be sorry for your rambling I did the same thing! Lol

But this is just so unreal. Like where were the neighbors, friends, family members. How didn't anyone notice.

I'm a mother to a 9 month old and one thing I've notice in my 9 months of being a new mom is I didn't have to bring my son to the doctors at all and no one would really notice.

It was just me being a typical new and good mother that made me make sure he got his shots and wellness checks on time. But it was up to me or no one would of noticed or really have cared.

So my idea is maybe there should be laws that you have to for the first year of life bring that baby to the doctors and document it if no doctor visit within reasonable amount of time then the CPS gets to visit you.

I think any real parent would have no problem with this. And this way the doctor can maybe pick up on any abuse.

I personally am just extremely awear of signs of abuse and keep my eye out for it. Its my way of making myself feel better about these horrible stories of child abuse.

Like I said my sons fathers family hates me right now but nobody realized how bad the child neglecting was because they weren't there. They don't read stories like this and dont understand how big of a deal it really is.

On the other hand sadly sometimes I think there is nothing we can do. They made that safe haven law so babies stopped ending up in dumpsters and still some people just don't care and put that baby in a dumpster knowing full well they could drop it off at a hospital, with a cop, church....anything. I don't get it.

one problem with the safe haven laws is that the people who may need it the most have never even heard of it. They don't watch or read the news, they don't have discussions with family about the new laws etc. I feel that about 90% of those who abandon, kill or neglect their babies have no clue they can just drop it off.

It is the same way with many laws, it is the law abiding and educated who know about it. Until you start teaching it in schools at about the 8th grade or so they will be under utilized. Education is necessary. Homeless people are more likely to know the laws and services available to them than those on the lower rungs of poverty who have rentals etc. At least at the shelter signs are posted with available things they can use to help themselves or laws like safe haven are posted.

There is a reason child abuse and neglect on this sort of scale is more often found in poverty stricken homes. Educated and middle income people are more likely to kill their children in premeditated ways while this situation is imo a result of hopelessness and ignorance. Not an excuse at all just a reality

imo

OMG, this breaks my heart! How could anything, much less Xbox, be more important to you than your child? I am sorry but I just don't believe some people deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us. In cases like this, I wish justice moved more swiftly. I hope he gets the DP. He shouldn't even be allowed to file an appeal if he does. His child couldn't appeal his fate. This bozo shouldn't be allowed to fight for his own life.

And IMO if women would have some self respect and stop fathering children with deadbeats we would see a huge decrease in violence against children. But, that would be asking too much as the women seem just as stupid as the losers they breed with.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but my 15 month old means the world to me(and she was a surprise baby, I didn't think I would ever have children) and when I see people hurting and killing children it just makes me so mad. There are so many good people in the world who can't have children and wish they would be interrupted by cries to tend to a precious child.

BBM I don't know if you meant that in anger or not but you are sadly right. Many of these mothers are not intelligent and water finds its lowest common denominator (let alone predatory males who take advantage of uneductated women with self esteem issues and dump em and leave em pregnant). It really comes down as i said in post above to education.

What really gets me angry is school boards who are against sex ed and reality teaching for young girls. Most of them grow up as a product of their environment and genes tell. If they aren't going to learn at home (and the ones who need it won't learn at home-the parents who are againste being taught in schools probably do teach at home but they need to think of the others) they end up in a vicious circle of poverty, drug abuse and violence. One that you have to have real strength to climb out of. Some do but it doesn't make it any easier for those who don't have the ability.

This mom and dad need to be in jail, the mom for neglect, the dad for murder but we have to start stopping it at its source. By the time authorities get involved it is generally to late for the children while if they could start showing girls how to bring up a child, the services available, pounding the need to get away and how to get away from violent partners etc. from early teens on, there might be some hope. And if birth control was only given out at clinics free to teenagers there may be fewer babies born into danger. I get that parents want to know whats going on in kids lives but to what cost? most kids i know expect a beating from parents if they even asked permission to let on they are sexually active, and you can't put sex back in the toothpaste tube. The state needs to start ensuring kids have everything they need to make those decisions for themselves and parents who whether from religion or simply against teens having sex are not helping.

I know as a teen, educated and with parent i never would have told about sex, i luckily could get the pill from a clinic doctor. Hid them. Used them. Would i have stopped having sex if i had to tell my parents? No. I would have hoped condoms would work and probably have gotten pregnant

Some kids do keep crying even when you try to pacify them. I was such a baby, at least according to my mom. I do have autism--which made me overly sensitive to everything, and ended in my crying because I was uncomfortable, because crying made me uncomfortable. But there are many reasons why a child might cry inconsolably. Being unusually sensitive to everything around them is only one of many.

A child who won't stop crying is no reason to commit murder and I hope this guy gets locked away for good. However, all of you saying that it's easy to entertain a child--well, usually, but not always. Let's give parents a little credit, shall we? It's not a cakewalk.

Some kids do keep crying even when you try to pacify them. I was such a baby, at least according to my mom. I do have autism--which made me overly sensitive to everything, and ended in my crying because I was uncomfortable, because crying made me uncomfortable. But there are many reasons why a child might cry inconsolably. Being unusually sensitive to everything around them is only one of many.

A child who won't stop crying is no reason to commit murder and I hope this guy gets locked away for good. However, all of you saying that it's easy to entertain a child--well, usually, but not always. Let's give parents a little credit, shall we? It's not a cakewalk.

Don't get me wrong I give the up most respect and credit to parents of colicky babies. And I know children with autism take lots of extra love, understanding, and patients. And to those parents they get nothing but my respect.

But I'm not talking about kids with autism or colicky babies here. I'm referring to typical average babies. I'm starting to see a trend with some parents who IMO who emotionally neglect their children then blame it on the child having emotional problems. Or just simply blaming it on them being brats.

Babies tend to mimic their care givers. If there is a lot of screaming yelling and domestic abuse going on then that child will no nothing els but screaming, yelling and domestic abuse.
If things are chaotic and and there is no routine I personally think that's what makes a baby cry non stop.

I know with my son 50% of it was just pure luck. I got lucky he is just naturally a happy little guy. But I also know the other 50% is me giving him the love he needs and routine.

I guess it's the nature versus nurture debate. I tend to believe its a 50/50 with that.

Heh, yeah, typical average babies are pretty easy to entertain. Shiny objects, bright colors... make a funny face at them and they're content. I'm the oldest kid and my littlest sister was born when I was eleven, so I do have some experience with entertaining babies. When she was crying, all I ever had to do was sing whatever came into my head, and she'd quiet down and listen. It doesn't surprise me that now, at 18, she is already an accomplished musician. (Yeah, I'm autistic and I'm good with babies... might sound odd, but believe me, they are a lot less complicated than grown-up people.)

You know what really steams me up about this case? If you wanted to entertain a toddler and you wanted to play video games, all you'd have to do is plop the kid down next to you. Maybe you give him an extra controller so he can pretend he's playing too. Okay, so maybe watching you play Call of Duty or something isn't really the best entertainment for a toddler, but it's a paragon of parenting skill compared to homicide.

I have a super easy baby, but when she was cutting her first teeth she was so fussy, nothing would make her happy and niether of us got much sleep. I called her doctor, and he said "Put her some where safe, like her pack n play, and just go step outside for five minutes. Twiddle your thumbs, smoke a cigarette, down a glass of wine, it doesn't matter, just go outside, sit down, and take some deep breaths and five minutes to yourself. You will be amazed at how those five minutes will relax you, and when you go in to pick her up she will pick up on that." Then he mentioned, "crying is good for a babies lungs". But it's true, I set her down, at my wits end it seemed, sat outside and just closed my eyes, felt the sun on my face, then went back in as super mommy! ;) it's not always easy to satisfy your baby, and those times can be frustrating and trying. But I have come up with a few mantras to help deal with it, one I repeat to her often: being a baby is so hard! And it really is, they can't say what they want or need, and can't even get it for themselves, that would be so frustrating! I also remind myself when there is a moment that won't seem to end, that one day I will miss her being a baby, and all the moments should be treasured, even the difficult times.

That being said, I don't know what kind of short term thinking moron would think that smothering a child would be better than listening to them cry. It's like, couldn't he have just stopped at neglect before proceeding to murder? Did he not think that it would be better to console the child for a bit, then get back to his precious xbox? Because he certainly isn't going to be playing xbox now(please don't tell me they get xbox in jail now).

Hard to find any MSM on this case after April 2014, but Florida DOC records say Jessika Dufour was sentenced last August to 3 years for child neglect, and Geneva Dufour got 2 years:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=459449877

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=459449881

From January 2015:

http://citruscountygazette.com/sentencing-meted-out/2015/01/15/.html

Wygant was sentenced to 20 years after being convicted of killing his 1-year-old son in 2014. He will serve 100 percent of his sentence...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back