GUILTY FL - Dionna Ervin, 17 mos, Kaden Warren, 5 mos, die in hot car, Valrico, 13 Aug 2009

This is surely a very sad and strange story....losing both children at the same time. The fact that the dad was in no hurry taking the children into the hospital is very puzzling. Wouldn't you think he would be frantic? JMO

Sounds like someone who is high to me. I would not be surprised to find out that the kids were in the car while he was scoring and then in an altered state of mind casually brought them to the hospital. That will make a huge difference in negligence versus felony murder.

How terribly, terribly sad. Pretty babies. Gone.

Say a prayer for everyone in the wake of this tragedy.

I can't imagine the pain this family is in.

I think we all know what probably happened here and its a real shame.

Sooo sad. how tragic for this family.

The mother is on her MySpace adding new people and setting things to private. I'm sorry, I know this is a terrible tragedy and I can't imagine losing both of my babies like this. But as a mother myself, the LAST thing on my mind would be my MySpace page if something happened to my babies.

this is just tearing me up! I see so many bad stories and many bother me but this actually has me shaking and crying! and it has happened daily since I read this story :( I hope this is one we get an update on and doesn't just fall off the press :(

Winsett added that a vehicle had been seized from the family's home in Valrico, but wouldn't elaborate as to why the car was taken.
The Department of Children and Families confirmed that the family was investigated previously for abuse allegations, but no further information from the previous case has been revealed.
Detectives interviewed the parents, who both have arrest records, Thursday, and Winsett said they haven't been helpful in the investigation.
"They are what I would describe as less than cooperative."
http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...-remain-a-mystery/qFA6xJAFlEmidTZ1YTX_4g.cspx

Valrico father charged in the overheating deaths of his children

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...he-overheating-deaths-of-his-children/1031974

TAMPA — Being exposed to extreme heat for a long time killed the two babies whose father brought them to Brandon Regional Hospital two weeks ago.
When he arrived at the hospital emergency room, they were suffering from "environmental hyperthemia,'' and it killed them, according to Hillsborough's medical examiner, Vernard Adams.
That conclusion and witness statements were the basis for charging Michael Jon Ervin Jr., father of 17-month-old Dionna Ervin and 5-month-old Kaden Warren, with two counts of aggravated manslaughter of a child, Hillsborough sheriff's officials said Friday.
The children had been in Ervin's "exclusive care, custody and control'' that afternoon, deputies said in a news release.
Detectives arrested Ervin, 26, at his Valrico home at 3807 Ridge­view Place on Friday.
An arrest affidavit filed by detectives says the children's core body temperatures reached 105 and 109 degrees that day.
A witness told detectives that Ervin came to his home that morning at 11 a.m., bringing his children with him, and that the two men smoked marijuana.
The affidavit also says hospital personnel told detectives that Ervin appeared lethargic and fell asleep several times as they were giving his children CPR.
Ervin told deputies the children had been his sole responsibility that day after he took their mother, Enidlin Warren, to work in the morning.
• • •
On Aug. 13, Ervin arrived at Brandon Regional Hospital at 2:50 p.m., pulling into the entrance to the hospital's women's center and asking for help.
Doctors later said the children had core temperatures so high that it stunned the medical staff who rushed to their aid.
They couldn't save them.
The high in Brandon on that Thursday was 93 degrees, according to Weather.com.
• • •
Jan Null, a hyperthermia expert and meteorology professor at San Francisco State University, said when the body's temperature reaches 104 degrees, heatstroke sets in. And at 107 degrees, the cells in the organs begin to die.
Children are far more susceptible to heat than adults. Their bodies heat up three to five times faster because they have less fully developed thermoregulatory systems, he said. And the younger they are, the faster they heat up.
There is no widely recognized standard for how long a child can endure heat before being in danger of hyperthermia, he said. Child safety advocates say youngsters shouldn't be left alone at all.
Florida law says no child under six can be left unattended in a vehicle for more than 15 minutes. However a child cannot be left in a vehicle for any period of time if the motor is running or the child's health is in danger.
Null has a fact sheet on his Web site that charts how the average temperature rises in a closed car on an 80 degree day. In ten minutes, it is 99 degrees in the car. In half an hour, it is 114. In one hour, it is 123.
• • •
Ervin told detectives both children had been in a crib or bassinet before he found them unresponsive.
The Florida Department of Children and Families has said the family was the subject of abuse investigations.
State records show that both parents have prior arrests, but neither has been convicted.
Deputies confiscated the family car and searched the home.
An affidavit for a search warrant notes that they found marijuana on a television, more marijuana in a bedroom, and various pills in the living room, bedroom and closet. The report does not identify the pills.
Detectives also confiscated sheets and blankets, a baby bathrobe, formula and a diaper.
Neighbor Tom Powers said Ervin moved to the quiet cul-de-sac nearly 15 years ago with his mother, Valerie, and had become a nuisance in recent years.
"Cars would come to the house at all hours of the night, knock on the side door and then leave," he said. "To me, this is no surprise."
He said neighbors called this to the attention of sheriff's deputies, thinking the activity might involve drug dealing.
"It's a sad situation for the children. They might still be alive if he had been arrested then," he said.

Those poor babies. :(

I'm a little confused - so they weren't in a car? This happened while they were in a home?

I thought that was a little fuzzy as well.

I THINK (no actual proof to back this up) that they were left in the car while he went to the friend's house and got high. But he made up the story to tell the hospital and LE that he just found them unresponsive in their beds.

sleuthster said:
A witness told detectives that Ervin came to his home that morning at 11 a.m., bringing his children with him, and that the two men smoked marijuana.

Ervin told detectives both children had been in a crib or bassinet before he found them unresponsive.

I thought that was a little fuzzy as well.

I THINK (no actual proof to back this up) that they were left in the car while he went to the friend's house and got high. But he made up the story to tell the hospital and LE that he just found them unresponsive in their beds.

Thanks, angel. I think you are right, but the article just wasn't direct about it.

October 2012:

Valrico man gets 10 years in kids' death

http://www.tbo.com/news/valrico-man-gets--years-in-kids-death-541229

A Valrico man was sentenced to 10 years in state prison Monday after his two children died in August 2009 from elevated body temperatures. Michael Jon Ervin Jr., 29, had pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated manslaughter in the deaths of 18-month-old Zionna Ervin and 5-month-old Kaden Warren. As part of the plea agreement, Ervin's prison sentence will be followed by five years of probation.

At a bail hearing, a sheriff's deputy said two co-workers of the children's mother, Enidlin Warren, said they heard her tell Ervin during a phone call, "What do you mean their lips are blue? What do you mean they're locked in a car?"...

After Ervin arrived at Brandon Regional with his children, he waited patiently for his turn, Morgan said. Ervin stepped to a counter and placed his daughter on a security desk, saying she was unresponsive but didn't immediately mention that he also had his son in a baby carrier...

http://www.tbo.com/news/crime/-years-for-valrico-man-whose-children-died-of-heat-exposure-531778

Four days after Zionna Ervin was born prematurely, someone complained to child protective investigators that her father was visiting her in the hospital while he was high or intoxicated.
Eighteen months later, he was charged with aggravated manslaughter in the deaths of Zionna and her 5-month-old brother, Kaden..

In 2005, the case summary states, investigators removed another child from Warren's care after she admitted to shaking it. Warren agreed to place the child with a paternal grandmother...

[DCF spokesman] Terry Field said parents who give birth after losing custody of an another child do not get additional monitoring unless the court orders it.

http://www.theledger.com/news/20090902/dcf-had-investigated-parents-before-babies-died

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back