GUILTY FL - Fred Laster, 16, found dismembered, Lake City, 5 June 1994 *youth pastor arrest*

Venturing outside of the box:

I've seen a few instances where the Report date was confused for the Date of Last Contact, and the missing person was listed as last seen alive on a date after the date his/her body was found.

Based on that possibility, here's a possible from Saraland AL.

Michael Allen Wright
wright_michael.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wright_michael.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2355/0

Saraland AL is about 350 miles from Lake City FL, and a straight shot down I-10. ... and he had a tattoo on his left shoulder.

According to Charley Project, His friends reported that they last saw him on June 24, 1994 (19 days after the body was found). But it also says that he had been staying with them for about two weeks before he disappeared. If we assume for the sake of argument that they were the perps, perhaps they reported seeing him two weeks after the murder to throw LE off the trail.

Thank you very much Carl! I have been looking at that case, and I have not paid as much attention on this person until now. But according to Dr. Maples' report, this Doe is alot taller than this ME, which is why I haven't paid to much attention to this tip. What I will do is get ahold of Sgt. Ken Davis with Saraland P.D. and converse with him about this case. This could be a good tip.

Thank you very much Carl! I have been looking at that case, and I have not paid as much attention on this person until now. But according to Dr. Maples' report, this Doe is alot taller than this ME, which is why I haven't paid to much attention to this tip. What I will do is get ahold of Sgt. Ken Davis with Saraland P.D. and converse with him about this case. This could be a good tip.

You're right - probably not - The height and weight are way off. But there is hardly anyone else from that corner of the U.S. of any height within that timeframe.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) has also been contacted to look into possible missing persons in South Georgia because of the close proximity of the death to the disposal.
"We feel if he wasn't killed at the scene, then he was killed within a six hours drive of Lake City,

RSBM from Jason's article above.

Geez, a 6 hr drive? Couldn't he also be from Alabama? Also, if you travel along I-10, you could be in Mississippi in 5 hrs. And you could go up I-95 and be in Charleston SC in 5 hrs.

Are there any stories of random body parts being found within a 6 hour drive from Lake City?

they have to know that this guy was not killed at the scene. there would have been piles of blood secondary to the dismemberment.

also didn't they assume he was killed at a motel on account of some of the objects found with the body?

they have to know that this guy was not killed at the scene. there would have been piles of blood secondary to the dismemberment.

also didn't they assume he was killed at a motel on account of some of the objects found with the body?

It sounds like they think he could have been dismembered in a vehicle at the scene, presumably something like the back of a pickup truck or van. The pool of blood would have driven away in that case.

one of Jason's early links was from the county's website with this description:

The remaining garbage bags located in the dumpster contained an egg crate-type mattress that the suspect used to put down in a bath tub while he dismembered the victim and two Ginsu-type Tristar kitchen knives. There were also several green, flower shaped, nonskid, self-sticking pieces that were believed to have come from the bath tub where the victim was dismembered.

http://columbiacrimestoppers.net/unsolved.aspx

Ah, okay, so unless "they" unscrewed the bathtub and put it in the pickup, it would have to be elsewhere.

I'm old enough to remember the commercials for the Ginzu and Tristar knives. they made it seem like they could cut anything and from all appearances here, someone took them at their word and dismembered a human being.

here is an old commercial for the Tristar knives. I can't say it was the same knives they hawked in the late 70's or early 80's but you get the picture on how sharp these things were.

Tristar Products Kitchen Chef - YouTube

I'm old enough to remember the commercials for the Ginzu and Tristar knives. they made it seem like they could cut anything and from all appearances here, someone took them at their word and dismembered a human being.

here is an old commercial for the Tristar knives. I can't say it was the same knives they hawked in the late 70's or early 80's but you get the picture on how sharp these things were.

Tristar Products Kitchen Chef - YouTube

CHOP SUEY! LOL....but on a serious note, thank you very much for the video demonstrating the strength of this kitchen knife! I could not imagine how this dismemberment looked! I have a gut feeling this murder WAS premeditated....either this dude pissed somebody off or something was going on.

Tomorrow I will be typing up the final article from the Lake City reporter I was able to find on the June roll of microfilm, although I will be looking through some of the rolls from all year. I want to make sure we have accurate depictions.

And I am still waiting on Shea to see about the photos. I will keep you all posted. Thank you very much everyone for your continued dedication to the case.

It is time we put a name with a body...but we cannot do it alone. We are recruiting people from around the nation to email the news media in North Florida and South Georgia, as well as some stations in Southern Alabama, to broadcast this case on Monday, Oct. 15th. The media can be a BIG help in getting this case out there so we can get this person named and catch his killer.

I am recruiting anyone who has internet access to join me and several others as we get ready for a big push towards the media in getting this case to go public. I am asking that we all email them on this day, snail mail them, call them; tell them we are all concerned and that we wish for this John Doe to be identified soon...so he can have a family to go home to.

Make your commitment by accepting this invite on the FB Event list!
https://www.facebook.com/events/152920024849925/

Hey everyone:

I just want to update the Websleuth Community about this case and what my team and I are doing as of recently.

1. We have now established a running website at www.lakecityjohndoe.webs.com and www.facebook.com/lakecityjohndoe. These links provide detailed information about this case and much more. You will also notice a shift in leadership. I am no longer working alone in this case. I now have 3 sleuthers who have agreed to volunteer with me. Their names are:

*Shea Brown, a former police officer
*Kat Hunter, a former Journalist and professional sleuther who has recovered 15 missing persons with her sleuthing abilities
*Ashley Dale, a graduate of the Police Academy in Lake City, who has dedicated her evenings to this case.

We have numerous others, but these people are the top active volunteers who are helping me.

2. We have emailed over 30 news outlets from across the nation. With no response back, we continue to keep the outlets informed. On November 5th, we plan on doing a mass email to the CCSO in an attempt to gain more info on this case. We encourage more help on this day.

3. We are recieving leads almost on a weekly basis and are following up on some now. Will keep everyone updated.

BREAKING NEWS

We were informed recently that my team and I will make an appearance on local radio on Saturday, November 17th at 11AM in Jasper, FL. The show is Conservative Countdown, which can be found at this link (www.conservativecountdown.com). Appearing with me will be Moderators Ashley Dale and Shea Brown, and former Columbia County Sheriffs Deputy Chris Brown. We will discuss the case in depth for our one-hour segment, as well as take phone calls from listeners at 386-792-1075 on the day of the show. It will also be reposted on their website later in the day.

Also, we have been granted an interview with a television station in North Central Florida, in which I will Skype with the interviewer. The discussion will be on DNA and how it can play important roles in cold cases such as this case and an unrelated case, the Tiffany Sessions dissapearance. We do not have a date for this one, although have been told it will be this week.

That is the big news coming our way right now. Thanks much!

To the Websleuthing community:

I wish to say thank you all for reading on this case. I hope that most people have been informed in general on this case; however I have both discouraging and ENCOURAGING news to share:

First the discouraging: It was brought to my attention that when we first began the initial investigation, a retired deputy sheriff had come forward with some "new" information, that included the slicing of tattoos and the dismemberment of genitals. I have discovered that this is false, as another investigator has come forward and has confirmed that the body was in a clean, but messy condition, with the only marks coming from dismemberment and the drag marks. As the former deputy has told the truth on where he was and being one of the first guys on the scene; his story on the condition of the body can not be feasible. Unfortunately, the 20-25 posts or so we made on this story alone was just a waste of time.

HOWEVER, I do have some great news that may move things forward in the right direction. An investigator who worked on the 1978 John Doe in Lake City (See Websleuth Thread FL FL - Lake City - WhtMale (NamUs UP 6246) - 35-50, Buried Between Pine Trees - Nov'78) ) and did some research on this case has come forward. He wishes to also remain anonymous. He was one of the investigators with the Sheriffs Office at the time the torso was discovered. He recalls that the torso was lying on its side, as if it would have almost been face down. There were no tattoos, nor any abrasions on the body other than the dismemberment marks and some lacerations near the genitals; as if the perp DID want to cut them off. The body still had fresh blood so that they could take some samples for DNA extraction and toxicology testing. As mentioned before, the only thing found in the blood system was over the counter cold medicine.

On most face sheet information of the John Doe, it has been listed as sandy blond; however, it has been noted by this investigator that there was still a good bit of hair attached at the neck to run some test on it. Apparently, the John Doe was a natural brown haired male, who frequently dyed his hair sandy blond or blondish; another bit of information the Sheriffs Office refused to release.

AND HERE COMES THE BIG NEWS: Investigators found some skid marks on the pavement that afternoon, while combing through the area for clues. Apparently fresh, the treads were measured for a possible vehicle match. The only other vehicles at the scene that day before the discovery was Ms. Hunt's and a few other sedan styled vehicles. When the results came in, the tire treads matched that of a Chevy Camaro or a Pontiac Trans Am Firebird model. This immediately knocks out the van theory from earlier in this thread. We now can confirm that the dismemberment DID occur in either a hotel or a home in Lake City or within a 5-6 hour proximity from Lake City.

Finally, we also were updated with the location of the body, as well as the location of the bones from the 1978 John Doe (which I will post on the 1978 Doe Thread). The body was never given a burial at an unmarked grave; instead it is in a cold storage at the Duval County Medical Examiners Office in Jacksonville, FL, pending identification. As for the bones, they are boxed up in the Columbia County Sheriffs Office Evidence Locker.

So...how do we go from here? I can use everyone's help RIGHT NOW! Thank you!

Jason

I got an idea from reading that the person trying to dispose of the body in the dumpster was not strong enough to get it over the side.

What if that is not an innocent, murdered John Doe? What if this was an abuser and the wife/girlfriend had enough? She drugged him(cold meds in his sysyem)killed him while he slept, and dismembered him in the tub as she was not strong enough to dispose of the body intact? She drove around dropping off body parts, the torso disposal being her last stop?

I got an idea from reading that the person trying to dispose of the body in the dumpster was not strong enough to get it over the side.

What if that is not an innocent, murdered John Doe? What if this was an abuser and the wife/girlfriend had enough? She drugged him(cold meds in his sysyem)killed him while he slept, and dismembered him in the tub as she was not strong enough to dispose of the body intact? She drove around dropping off body parts, the torso disposal being her last stop?

Thats a good point, because most younger vehicle owners then in the 1990s owned cars like the Camaro or Thunderbird. But, do you think this would be a domestic violence issue, being that this gentleman was pretty young? The reports said that this man was in his late teens.

I believe its possible. The car fits. The foam padding was probably on the bed . To me that says he was killed on the bed and drug to the tub. I think he was shot or hit in the head while sleeping. She didn't think past killing him because she had made up her mind she would kill him before he touched her again., but now she has a body to get rid of. So she drags him to the tub, and dismembers him, makes it easier to get rid of the body.

The home/family situations of them are probably why she has not been caught and he has not been identified. She has probably gone on with her life.

I believe its possible. The car fits. The foam padding was probably on the bed . To me that says he was killed on the bed and drug to the tub. I think he was shot or hit in the head while sleeping. She didn't think past killing him because she had made up her mind she would kill him before he touched her again., but now she has a body to get rid of. So she drags him to the tub, and dismembers him, makes it easier to get rid of the body.

The home/family situations of them are probably why she has not been caught and he has not been identified. She has probably gone on with her life.

Wow that is a pretty good theory! And that could also explain why the hands and legs were cut off...to teach him a lesson. Where could she have committed this crime? Where did she dump the rest of his parts at? Could she have buried them in the backyard? Burned them? Used boric acid to dissolve them? Many questions can be asked on this theory alone.

It couldve happened anywhere within that six hour range of lake city. It doesnt help that several major highways intersect there either. She could've come from the Florida peninsula, the panhandle, Georgia, Alabama.............

I am new to all this but reading all the details, I was wondering (did not see it mentioned), did they try to see where the garbage from the gas station had been taken previously in case the rest of the body was there. Or they may have dropped the other body parts in a close proximity to that gas staion in another dumpster. How many garbage dumps are there in that city and could they have traced the route or anything? Just a horrible way to die. I can'ty imagine not knowing where a family member was if they had gone missing. Everyone has someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back