FL FL - Jennifer Odom, 12, Blanton, 19 Feb 1993

I don’t understand…what science solved this case? This is one of the few where they really deserve a pat on the back for the good old fashioned detective work.
The DNA was the connection that pulled it all together from what I understood. Lots of good detective work for sure.

I don’t understand…what science solved this case? This is one of the few where they really deserve a pat on the back for the good old fashioned detective work.
thank you megs, no one will ever know how many people, hours, years went into today! George made it happen, I know, I have spent the past 8 years next to him and yes I was there. People don't understand that you can't give up your cards in the game, it takes work, I mean hard work and he did it. I cried today and I was happy today, but he deserves all the credit he gets for this case. So thank you. This was good old fashioned detective work. I guess she missed the 40 agencies that were included, the numerous detectives over the past 30 years and countless hours put into this case to get here today. Oh well, I get it.

Hi all. I haven't posted in a really long time. Just don't have the time any more to follow cases and post. But this is the one local crime for my area that I'd always hoped to see solved and I'm so happy the day has come. Awesome job by our LE!!! Hat tip for their countless years of working the case. And hugs to the family for this must be a surreal and emotional day for them.

thank you megs, no one will ever know how many people, hours, years went into today! George made it happen, I know, I have spent the past 8 years next to him and yes I was there. People don't understand that you can't give up your cards in the game, it takes work, I mean hard work and he did it. I cried today and I was happy today, but he deserves all the credit he gets for this case. So thank you. This was good old fashioned detective work. I guess she missed the 40 agencies that were included, the numerous detectives over the past 30 years and countless hours put into this case to get here today. Oh well, I get it.
I think with so many cases being solved with dna and genetic genealogy, it was automatically assumed by many that was the case here. There are countless people who deeply appreciate the hard work of everyone involved! None of these cases are easy…if they were, they wouldn’t be cold!! What was accomplished after 30 years was nothing short of amazing! I pray those who have the ability to speak up finally with do so and seal the deal!!

I think with so many cases being solved with dna and genetic genealogy, it was automatically assumed by many that was the case here. There are countless people who deeply appreciate the hard work of everyone involved! None of these cases are easy…if they were, they wouldn’t be cold!! What was accomplished after 30 years was nothing short of amazing! I pray those who have the ability to speak up finally with do so and seal the deal!!
I was just taken back by her words. It was an amazing day for us, and to come here and that is the first thing I read was not what I expected. Weather or not you have DNA it is still an lot of work to get to where you have what you need to prove that you have the right person.

Just so unbelievably heartbreaking, poor little girl.

“We’re not exactly sure how long her abductor kept her captive, or when exactly the murder took place, but we are relatively confident the murder took place in that field,” Nienhuis said.

“Dozens and dozens, maybe even hundreds of items were tested and retested every time a new technology came out, thinking that little glimmer of hope that we might be able to get that smoking gun,” Nienhuis said.

A break in the case happened in 2015, when investigators used DNA analysis to narrow down Crum as a suspect in a different case that happened about 13 months before Odom’s killing, the sheriff said.

“So (Crum) quickly, quickly, almost instantaneously, became our number one suspect in the Jennifer Odom case,” Nienhuis said.

Last edited:
I was just taken back by her words. It was an amazing day for us, and to come here and that is the first thing I read was not what I expected. Weather or not you have DNA it is still an lot of work to get to where you have what you need to prove that you have the right person.
Please don't let one person's words damper anything related to yesterday! I'm still over the moon and I'm just an uninvolved bystander!

According to Nienhuis, Crum was serving two life sentences for attacking and sexually assaulting the Pasco County girl when detectives connected him to Jennifer Odom's murder. The "almost identical" nature of the two cases was key in their investigation, the sheriff said.

“I have confidence that we have the right person and that we have the right aggravators in this particular case to treat it as a death penalty case," Gladson said.

Crum made his first court appearance Thursday afternoon and asked for a public offender. His next court date is set for Aug. 29.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back