GUILTY FL - Joni Gunter, 30, found dismembered, Jacksonville, 11 Feb 2016 *Arrest*

Nothing news on this interesting case?

Found this female profiles in Namus

Nova Awe <defunct link>
Kamrie Mitchell<defunct link>
Ashley Legare <defunct link>
Guadaloupe Cruz-Gomez <defunct link>
Kyla Porter <defunct link>
Britney Wright<defunct link>
Heather MacCrossen <defunct link>
Wendy Hudakoc <defunct link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure they are getting DNA from the bones or teeth, but it takes a long time to get it back. If family listed her as missing, there is a good chance they gave DNA also, then they would get a familiar hit and be able to ID her. But if no hits come back, it will be hard to get her ID. I also think that is a tiger face on that shirt, and the photo could be 90's to early 2000's. I still have one from 2000, It does have a date on mine.

BBM "About nine months after Tillis' arrest, police searched the home after receiving a tip and dug up the human remains. Police are still working to identify the woman, who was found buried in the yard of the home on Bowden Circle East in February 2016. The ME has ruled her death a homicide, but no one has been accused in her death."

Lonna Barton's attorney, Kevin Carlisle, will be representing Russell Tillis.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/russell-tillis-gets-new-lawyer (Article dated September 15, 2016)

Wow, as soon as I saw the pic of that girl, all I could think of was Tara Calico.

Obviously, it isn't her, but I look for her everywhere.

If Tillis was known for buying prostitutes, could this be a local girl? Wonder if police have checked that angle. I'm sure they have. Poor woman.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Just to continue the above post....

I'm kind of surprised, but the photo of Tara was found in a parking lot 4 hours away from where this guy lived. Also, the person who put the photo there was driving a white van. Maybe the kind of van someone who fixes houses might drive? Also, it's kind of strange that the person who had Tara took photos of her, and this Jane Doe was also found with a photo? Sorry for my ramblings, I just find that to be a huge coincidence.

I was looking up info on Tillis. It says in the information I can find that he may have attended high school in Texas. Can anyone help me to confirm that?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

I submitted this case in Doe Network. ;)

I can't tell if that's another kid next to her or a Cabbage Patch Doll. I would peg it at late 80s/early 90s and she looks in her teens to me, about the same age I was at that time. Her hair with its blonder ends reminds me of how Sun In and similar products designed to lighten your hair while you got a tan were a big thing back then, too.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office announced Thursday that the body found was that of Joni Lynn Gunter, about 30 years old, who they said was a transient. Police said she died of blunt-force trauma sometime between February 2014 and when Tillis was arrested last year.
In addition to murder, Tillis is charged with kidnapping, human trafficking, abuse of a body and evidence tampering. He was ordered held without bond pending a Dec. 29 arraignment.
Man charged in death of woman whose body found in yard

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 202
is she the girl int he pic? she looks close but not exactly. the link above says JSO doesn't know who the girl in the photo is. and was she dismembered? that was not released before but the link says so. and have they searched his whole property because there is a lot of talk of other possible victims.

OMGoodness! I never would have guessed that was her in the photo. I thought the girl was much younger. So glad they have solved who she was so any loved ones missing her will have closure.

RIP Joni :rose:

is she the girl int he pic? she looks close but not exactly. the link above says JSO doesn't know who the girl in the photo is. and was she dismembered? that was not released before but the link says so. and have they searched his whole property because there is a lot of talk of other possible victims.

I assumed it was her since this thread has been updated with "identified" and her name. Sorry if I misunderstood...

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-shocked-to-learn-sister-dead-found-buried-in-yard
Glad you were already on it Kay.

"Police said Thursday that Joni died of blunt-force trauma sometime between February 2014 and May 2015, when Tillis was arrested on unrelated charges. He has now been charged with murder, kidnapping, human trafficking, abuse of a body and evidence tampering in Joni's death.

Robert said his family had been trying find Joni for years and never knew what happened to her. He said their mother died in 1995, and their father is not in their lives."

snipped

"During the investigation, police released a faded Polaroid photo of an unidentified woman, asking for the public's help to identify her. That woman was not Gunter, and police are still working to find out who she is.

News4Jax crime and safety analyst Gil Smith said the public's help is critical in this case."
BBM
LE believes that Tillis preyed upon young transient women who had issues with drugs and prostitution.

More info from above link.

"One neighbor recalled women coming to her front door screaming that Tillis was going to kill them.

&#8220;There would be constant women in and out over there. Some of them would run over to my property and bang on my door, crying for help,&#8221; said Annette Campbell, who told News4Jax she and other neighbors had restraining orders against Tillis. &#8220;We lived in constant fear with him there.&#8221;

Campbell said she believes police will find other victims.

&#8220;Because I have seen lots of women over there,&#8221; Campbell said. &#8220;And then all of a sudden, you wouldn't see them.&#8221;"

"During the investigation, police released a faded Polaroid photo of an unidentified woman, asking for the public's help to identify her. That woman was not Gunter, and police are still working to find out who she is.

Maybe is better open a thread for this case!

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-shocked-to-learn-sister-dead-found-buried-in-yard
Glad you were already on it Kay.

"Police said Thursday that Joni died of blunt-force trauma sometime between February 2014 and May 2015, when Tillis was arrested on unrelated charges. He has now been charged with murder, kidnapping, human trafficking, abuse of a body and evidence tampering in Joni's death.

Robert said his family had been trying find Joni for years and never knew what happened to her. He said their mother died in 1995, and their father is not in their lives."

snipped

News4Jax crime and safety analyst Gil Smith said the public's help is critical in this case."
BBM
LE believes that Tillis preyed upon young transient women who had issues with drugs and prostitution.

I'm so confused. Sorry, I thought this thread was about the girl in the Polaroid. That's the first two links in this thread--about her picture they are trying to ID. Is there another thread for that girl or another thread for Joni? I'm not sure which one this thread is for now. :confused: :facepalm:

I'm sorry, it is very confusing. The body was found on Tillis' property and the Polaroid was found about the same time, so LE thought they may be the same person. It turns out they are not according to the Jax4News article. So I guess this thread is about the body which has now been identified via DNA to be Joni Gunter. So I guess it would be a good idea to make another thread in order to ID the woman in the Polaroid. LE wants to ID to see if she's alive and well or missing. MOO, but I think LE has just touched the tip of the iceberg with Russell Tillis.
RIP Joni. :rose:
Does anyone know how to start a new thread with 'unidentified woman in Polaroid from Russell Tillis property' or something like that? Thanks.

It is confusing. IMHO, the unidentified woman and Jodi Lynn Gunter should remain together since it appears they may be victims of the same perp.

Maybe without the "identified" tag?

<defunct link>

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Police are seeking the public's help as they work to identify a woman pictured in a photo released Tuesday.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office did not disclose exactly why they're looking to identify the woman, whose picture has been posted to the Sheriff's Office Facebook page.
The woman appears to be in her early to mid 20s, JSO's spokesperson Melissa Bujeda said in the post.
Anyone with information on the woman's identity is asked to call the Sheriff's Office at (904) 630-0500 or Crime Stoppers at (866) 845-TIPS. You can remain anonymous and could receive a reward of up to $3,000.

Open this thread for the photo girl after this
Man shocked to learn sister dead, found buried

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The brother of a Jacksonville woman whose body was found in February dismembered and buried in the yard of a Southside home said his family had lost touch with his sister and he only learned last week that she had been killed.
Robert Gunter, who now lives in Arkansas, told News4Jax that detectives contacted his younger sister to let her know a woman found dead in Jacksonville in February had been identified through DNA analysis as her sister, Joni Lynn Gunter. Joni was found buried in the yard of a home belonging to Russell Tillis, police said.
[h=4]More News Headlines[/h]

Robert said his younger sister broke the news to him Dec. 1.
It shocks the hell out of me getting the news about my older sister, Robert said.
Joni would have been around 30 years old when she was killed.
Robert said since learning the news, he has been in touch with Jacksonville detectives himself.
Police said Thursday that Joni died of blunt-force trauma sometime between February 2014 and May 2015, when Tillis was arrested on unrelated charges. He has now been charged with murder, kidnapping, human trafficking, abuse of a body and evidence tampering in Joni's death.
Robert said his family had been trying find Joni for years and never knew what happened to her. He said their mother died in 1995, and their father is not in their lives.
All I know is Ive been worried about her, trying to get in touch with her, he said. I have (missed her). To be honest, I don't know what to say.
Police described Joni as a transient. She had a long list of arrests from 2004-2011 in Duval County, including on charges related to prostitution and drugs.
Robert said he couldn't pinpoint the last time he had contact with his older sister, but that he lived in Jacksonville for most of his life and had never heard of Tillis.

[h=3]More victims out there?[/h]Police searched Tillis' Bowden Circle East property for days after Gunter's body was found, but said they found no other human remains.
Despite that, police said Thursday that they believe that Tillis could have abused or killed other young women, particularly drug abusers, prostitutes or women who weren't in regular contact with family, who wouldn't be missed.
"Suspect Russell Tillis targeted vulnerable members of our society," Asst. Chief Scott Dingee said. "Based on statements Tillis made, we believe its highly likely that other females were victimized by Tillis, including other murders. Based on his history, Tillis sought out vulnerable young females -- white females in particular with a history of drug abuse and prostitution. So we ask that anyone who knew the victim or anyone who may have been victimized by Tillis, anyone who has family members that may have associated with Tillis and now their family members are missing, anyone with additional information, we ask that they contact the police."
Polaroid%20Tillis%20investigation_7538117_ver1.0.JPG

During the investigation, police released a faded Polaroid photo of an unidentified woman, asking for the public's help to identify her. That woman was not Gunter, and police are still working to find out who she is.
News4Jax crime and safety analyst Gil Smith said the public's help is critical in this case.
Right now, they're really looking out to the public to provide them with information, especially if anyone was working as a prostitute or using drugs in this area, even if you didn't know them very well but just all of a sudden didn't see them, Smith said.
He said those tips might help police track down other possible victims.
Neighbors along Bowden Circle said they saw women coming and going from Tillis' home before he was arrested last year.
One neighbor recalled women coming to her front door screaming that Tillis was going to kill them.
There would be constant women in and out over there. Some of them would run over to my property and bang on my door, crying for help, said Annette Campbell, who told News4Jax she and other neighbors had restraining orders against Tillis. We lived in constant fear with him there.
Campbell said she believes police will find other victims.
Because I have seen lots of women over there, Campbell said. And then all of a sudden, you wouldn't see them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg