FL - Latifa, 46, & Maksmilla Lincoln, 3, hazmat deaths, 2 June 2016

But diesel would be a recognizable smell to a patrol officer- to almost anyone really. And CO is odorless- neither would be what they described 'caustic'.

I. Am. Truly. Baffled.

I don't know very much about vehicles but just reading posts on Porsche and VW sites, it seems that when urea (an active ingredient in DEF) heats up/crystallizes it gives off an ammonia smell (not a diesel smell).

But, I completely agree with you... baffling for this to have caused their deaths... and if it did, I believe it would be easy to detect in the bodies. But, as little as I know about vehicles, I know even less about chemistry.

AdBlue is an exhaust additive to reduce emissions from diesel vehicles. It seems to sometimes corrode parts of the exhaust system and leak into the cabin in these vehicles. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this additive caused the odor, and also caused a leak that let in CO, it could explain the facts. She might even have gone to the mechanic and had work done on it - and if they told her that the ammonia odor was annoying but not harmful, she might have pushed ahead with driving, not knowing that the system was also leaking CO.

"“I don’t have another reason for either of them to be dead,” he said, calling the case “unprecedented.”

The substance that hydrogen sulfide becomes in the body was nowhere to be found in the victims’ blood, but Utz said a level of the substance was found in their urine.

The malfunctioning battery might have been nothing more than a nuisance, except in the Porsche Cayenne, the battery isn’t under the hood; it’s under the driver’s seat."

"...Auto Express on Goldenrod Road sold the SUV to Lincoln. “Nothing like this you ever see, ever,” said Telleysh. He said the car had a clean record and still had the battery with which it was sold."

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/hydr...ther-daughter-medical-examiner-says/453434135

Per this report it appears the car was sold to L Lincoln with the "incorrect" battery installed.

**JMO - Strange case**

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname