Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #7

Interesting thought. There is mention of a tire tread,
PG.20 | OSSO Property Form
- Tire Tread
- Scene Photos

so yes using a different car might have been helpful. Had he paid cash and rented one, but using the car of a family member . . . well that just would not work would it?
IMO Maybe the tread is taken from the recovery site, to corroborate the witness testimony (flat tire) but 5 days later ?

Firearms Trace Summary:

“Firearms tracing is the systematic tracking of the movement of a firearm recovered by law enforcement officials from its first sale by the manufacturer or importer through the distribution chain (wholesaler/retailer) to the first retail purchaser. Comprehensive firearm tracing is the routine tracing of every crime gun recovered within a geographic area or specific law enforcement jurisdiction.

Firearms are traced in order to link a suspect to a firearm in a criminal investigation; to identify potential traffickers (whether licensed or unlicensed sellers); and when sufficiently comprehensive tracing is undertaken by a given community, to detect in-state, interstate, and international patterns in the sources and kinds of crime guns.”

Does this mean that a firearm was simply present at the house where a crime occurred or does this mean that a firearm was used in the commission of a crime?

Can someone with more knowledge in these matters than I explain a few things, please? Is this normal? I was just reading the:

DEFENDANT’S NOTICE OF INTENT TO PARTICIPATE IN DISCOVERY ANDDEMAND FOR FAVORABLE AND IMPEACHMENT INFORMATION INACCORDANCE WITH BRADY (sorry for the caps, it's like that in the doc. I bolded a few sections I found interesting):

The Defendant, Stephan Michael Sterns, pursuant to Rule 3.220 Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure, hereby gives notice of his intent to participate in discovery and requests that the State of Florida disclose to the defendant and permit the defendant to inspect, copy, test and photograph the following information and material within the state’s possession or control within 15 days after service of this Notice:

1. A list of the names and addresses of all persons known to the prosecutor to have information that may be relevant to any offense charged or any defense thereto, to any similar fact evidence to be presented at trial under section 90.404(2), Florida Statutes.

2. The statement of any person whose name is furnished in compliance with the preceding subdivision. The term "statement" as used herein includes a written statement made by the person and signed or otherwise adopted or approved by the person and also includes any statement of any kind or manner made by the person and written or recorded or summarized in any writing or recording made to anyone regarding this case. The term "statement" is specifically intended to include all police and investigative reports of any kind prepared for or in connection with the case.

3. Any written or recorded statements and the substance of any oral statements made by the defendant, including a copy of any statements contained in police reports or report summaries, together with the name and address of each witness to the statements.

4. Any written or recorded statements and the substance of any oral statements made by a codefendant.

5. Those portions of recorded grand jury minutes that contain testimony of the defendant.

6. Any tangible papers or objects that were obtained from or belonged to the defendant.

7. Whether the state has any material or information that has been provided by a confidential informant. Whether there has been any electronic surveillance, including wiretapping, of the premises of the defendant or of conversations to which the defendant was a party and any documents relating thereto.

More in the doc found at: https://courts.osceolaclerk.com/

Can someone with more knowledge in these matters than I explain a few things, please? Is this normal? I was just reading the:

DEFENDANT’S NOTICE OF INTENT TO PARTICIPATE IN DISCOVERY ANDDEMAND FOR FAVORABLE AND IMPEACHMENT INFORMATION INACCORDANCE WITH BRADY (sorry for the caps, it's like that in the doc. I bolded a few sections I found interesting):

The Defendant, Stephan Michael Sterns, pursuant to Rule 3.220 Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure, hereby gives notice of his intent to participate in discovery and requests that the State of Florida disclose to the defendant and permit the defendant to inspect, copy, test and photograph the following information and material within the state’s possession or control within 15 days after service of this Notice:

1. A list of the names and addresses of all persons known to the prosecutor to have information that may be relevant to any offense charged or any defense thereto, to any similar fact evidence to be presented at trial under section 90.404(2), Florida Statutes.

2. The statement of any person whose name is furnished in compliance with the preceding subdivision. The term "statement" as used herein includes a written statement made by the person and signed or otherwise adopted or approved by the person and also includes any statement of any kind or manner made by the person and written or recorded or summarized in any writing or recording made to anyone regarding this case. The term "statement" is specifically intended to include all police and investigative reports of any kind prepared for or in connection with the case.

3. Any written or recorded statements and the substance of any oral statements made by the defendant, including a copy of any statements contained in police reports or report summaries, together with the name and address of each witness to the statements.

4. Any written or recorded statements and the substance of any oral statements made by a codefendant.

5. Those portions of recorded grand jury minutes that contain testimony of the defendant.

6. Any tangible papers or objects that were obtained from or belonged to the defendant.

7. Whether the state has any material or information that has been provided by a confidential informant. Whether there has been any electronic surveillance, including wiretapping, of the premises of the defendant or of conversations to which the defendant was a party and any documents relating thereto.

Not a lawyer but I’m pretty sure that is standard. When they say defendant, I think it’s more for his counsel rather than SS himself that would receive all of that info. Because if I understand correctly, the defense must have access to all the same evidence/witnesses that the prosecution does in order to build their defense.

It was Maddie’s account, not SS.

View attachment 503035

ETA: screenshot
Maddie's age group also uses it for games and a chat app.
I'm not saying it was not used nefariously in this particular case, but I just wanted to offer a different opinion about the app being used, like Telegram, in this sense.
Some parents prefer Discord for their kids to chat than a social media app like Messenger, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, etc., because Discord is not so visual and video-based.
JMO as an ongoing parent from '94 until present, 5 kids, 30 to 10.

It is to me because of the amount of Discord-related scandals I have witnessed regarding the communities that were created by online personalities (for example YouTubers). Anyone under 17/18 doesn't need to be on the platform.

Now I don't think Maddie joined it for nefarious purposes but she was at extreme risk of something bad happening even if SS was not in the picture. I highly doubt her Discord communications were monitored by her parent (MOO).
Respectfully, most of the platforms have scandals. Discord is not unique in that sense.

She may have conducted the ADHD evaluation for MS or, she could be an expert witness. She is not a psychiatrist in her bio, even tho they list her with Dr. in front of her surname. Maybe that is how they list graduates from her university in India.

She cannot prescribe meds as a Physician Assistant in the US, right? But she likely works under a psychiatrist, who actually writes the prescription. I’m not sure but maybe someone else knows more.
No, PA's typically have dispensing privileges including controlled substances (i.e., Schedule II-V) such as Adderall used to treat ADHD. I don't see any exception for Florida. JMO

This particular point:

Those portions of recorded grand jury minutes that contain testimony of the defendant.

Does this mean testimony by witnesses and the subject of this testimony is the defendant? Testimony of the defendant?

Also in the Demand for Discovery:

PG.4 | Crime Scene Contamination Log

I wonder what got contaminated? Or do they always have a Contamination log?

It's probably easier to reference Florida Rule 3.220 - DISCOVERY at the link below than the filed document since this rule is Statutory.

From the Register of Actions quoted by OP's link, we know SS was arrested and booked on 4/24/24, Initial Appearance on 4/25/24, and having filed application for a public defender, Waived his Arraignment on 4/26/24.

By Public Defender Robert Wesley's Demand for Discovery on behalf of SS, filed on 5/1/24, the defense has simply started the "judicial clock" on this case.

Pursuant to Rule 3.220 - DISCOVERY, the Prosecution must now produce all information and material within the state's possession or control, to the defense, within 15 days of the Notice served.

While the ROA indicates the Prosecution answered the Demand for Discovery on 5/3 and 5/7, some here have noted items which appear missing. Please take note that the State has not yet expended the 15 days allowed pursuant to Rule 3.220. It's also possible some warrants have not been returned.

Relative to the requirements by the Defense after filing a Demand for Discovery, the Defense must also provide the Prosecution with it's Witness List or names the Defense plans to call as witnesses at trial.

The Court takes "Discovery" seriously and failure to comply with producing information in the possession or control of the Prosecution to the Defense timely can result in sanctions for discovery violations. The spirit of Rule 3.220 here is to prevent prejudice or a trial by ambush.

More to follow on Discovery as we get closer to trial, and Defense Motions for sanctions begin populating the Docket!

It's probably easier to reference Florida Rule 3.220 - DISCOVERY at the link below than the filed document since this rule is Statutory.

From the Register of Actions quoted by OP's link, we know SS was arrested and booked on 4/24/24, Initial Appearance on 4/25/24, and having filed application for a public defender, Waived his Arraignment on 4/26/24.

By Public Defender Robert Wesley's Demand for Discovery on behalf of SS, filed on 5/1/24, the defense has simply started the "judicial clock" on this case.

Pursuant to Rule 3.220 - DISCOVERY, the Prosecution must now produce all information and material within the state's possession or control, to the defense, within 15 days of the Notice served.

While the ROA indicates the Prosecution answered the Demand for Discovery on 5/3 and 5/7, some here have noted items which appear missing. Please take note that the State has not yet expended the 15 days allowed pursuant to Rule 3.220. It's also possible some warrants have not been returned.

Relative to the requirements by the Defense after filing a Demand for Discovery, the Defense must also provide the Prosecution with it's Witness List or names the Defense plans to call as witnesses at trial.

The Court takes "Discovery" seriously and failure to comply with producing information in the possession or control of the Prosecution to the Defense timely can result in sanctions for discovery violations. The spirit of Rule 3.220 here is to prevent prejudice or a trial by ambush.

More to follow on Discovery as we get closer to trial, and Defense Motions for sanctions begin populating the Docket!

Great information, thank you!

Maddie's age group also uses it for games and a chat app.
I'm not saying it was not used nefariously in this particular case, but I just wanted to offer a different opinion about the app being used, like Telegram, in this sense.
Some parents prefer Discord for their kids to chat than a social media app like Messenger, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, etc., because Discord is not so visual and video-based.
JMO as an ongoing parent from '94 until present, 5 kids, 30 to 10.
Seconding this. Discord is like any other social media or chat app, but IMO it's easier to make sure kids aren't getting into something they shouldn't than something like TikTok or Snapchat which has a lot of public interaction and content. With Discord, a parent can easily tell a kid they aren't allowed to be in any public servers (ie. chat rooms that allow anyone to join) and can only be on servers with their friends. This is pretty easily checked by the parent just quickly viewing the account and seeing what servers the kid is in, and can't be faked unless the kid somehow knows when the parent is going to check.

For kids who had school friends pre-COVID, a lot of them turned to Discord when there was no in-person schooling so that they had an opportunity to hang with their friends. A lot of Among Us. It's pretty normal for kids to have Discord servers with different friend groups so they can watch each other play video games or play together.

More in the doc found at: https://courts.osceolaclerk.c
4. Codefendant Interesting.

VERY interesting. That's my post you quoted but even I missed "a codependent". That seems pretty clear to me (now that you pointed it out. lol) that there is likely ONE codependent. Otherwise I'd think they'd have said something like "any codependents", or "codependent(s)".

Meanwhile... I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop like all of you guys likely are.

In the "Defendant's Notice Of Intent to Participate in Discovery," the term "codefendant" is not specific or unique to the Notice by SS. It's just boilerplate, statutory language, applicable to Rule 3.220 - DISCOVERY.

In other words, sure, there could be future arrests but this would just be coincidence, and not because the statutory language here was a prediction or a hint.

In the "Defendant's Notice Of Intent to Participate in Discovery," the term "codefendant" is not specific or unique to the Notice by SS. It's just boilerplate, statutory language, applicable to Rule 3.220 - DISCOVERY.

In other words, sure, there could be future arrests but this would just be coincidence, and not because the statutory language here was a prediction or a hint.

That was my thinking. I think it would do well to realize that all of these docs and such are standard practice and do not reference any details about this particular case except where specifically noted. I wouldn’t read too much into them, other than the notice of discovery that actually outlined elements specific to this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacklakemermaid
Back