GUILTY FL - Makia Coney, 17, Jacksonville, 10 Feb 2010

Rutherford: Missing persons now top priority

* By Matt Coleman
* Story updated at 8:41 PM on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010

Three high-profile Northeast Florida cases were the catalysts Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford needed to overhaul protocol for handling missing-persons reports.

Rutherford said Tuesday the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings in Putnam County, the abduction and slaying of Somer Thompson in Clay County and last week’s shooting death of Makia Coney in Duval County inspired his decision to speed up the officer response time in missing-persons cases.

Rutherford issued an internal memorandum Friday that detailed the changes. Missing-persons reports were previously assigned a low-response priority unless there were signs of foul play. But the revision makes all but habitual runaway missing-persons cases Priority 1 for officers.

The calls can’t be delayed or handed off to another officer unless a supervisor approves the change. Rutherford said habitual runaways will be handled with a lower priority but can be upgraded immediately in case of foul play.

“Given all that’s happened recently, I’m not comfortable waiting around until we know there is some evidence of foul play,” he said. “I want to make sure these reports are given the priority they deserve.”

more here

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...y/rutherford_missing_persons_now_top_priority

I agree with LM, sounds like another case where they just wanted to know what it felt like. WTH?
I don't think harsher punishments is the answer, it's something happening before these people lash out. What is it? The punishments don't mean jack, they are just revenge...we need to stop these things before punishment is necessary.

Is there a way to thank twice on WS's?? Agree ENTIRELY.

I don't think any assumptions should be made as to why the boys killed her. I've known Connor since second grade, and that's not the Connor I know. I am aware that he did something unacceptable, even without the motive, both boys deserve life in prison.

However, for people who don't know them, it is unfair to say they did it for thrill, because you have no reason to believe so, other than the fact that there currently is no explanation.

I'm still in shock that he would have done something like this, he seems like the kind of kid that would spend life in jail to allow a friend to live. Not this. The Pridgen, Southern, and Coney families all need prayer. She was too young to die, and they are too young to be spending life in jail.

Makia didnt just die, She was MURDERED ,it wasnt an accident or a illness or any other unpreventable sudden death nor is it faultless. It is not unfair to say this is without motive. What motive would you accept ? Are you searching for something that says to you this is justified? He was her Friend! You should feel lucky he didnt ask you to ride with them that day.

She was a beautiful girl in a good school who had dreams and desires to be fulfilled. She will never have children or a husband,her mother will never get to see her children go to second grade.
It was unfair for the conner to MURDER Makia ,She was to young to die.
Any assumption I make on this case is fair. He is not to young to spend life in prison society needs protecting from people like this. It is no longer about how conner feels or about his life or opinion on it. It is about ensuring others safty so no other parent has to lose a child at his hands.
He apparently does not value life of others.
While I understand you may personaly be having a hard time grasping at what events transpired to bring conner to this point and I do feel for your personal pain and for all of the parents in this case ,I will not wait to form an opinion on conner for him to come up with some reason that wouldnt even come close to being able to gain my sympathy.

This story is heartbreaking. I know all murders are heartbreaking, but this one in particular just really gets to me. I can hardly read the thread, let alone post or help in sleuthing.

Prayers to Makia's family and friends and all who love her. May she rest in peace, safe with the angels. May her parents find strength to go on and comfort their other children.

Salem

I don't think any assumptions should be made as to why the boys killed her. I've known Connor since second grade, and that's not the Connor I know. I am aware that he did something unacceptable, even without the motive, both boys deserve life in prison.

However, for people who don't know them, it is unfair to say they did it for thrill, because you have no reason to believe so, other than the fact that there currently is no explanation.

I'm still in shock that he would have done something like this, he seems like the kind of kid that would spend life in jail to allow a friend to live. Not this. The Pridgen, Southern, and Coney families all need prayer. She was too young to die, and they are too young to be spending life in jail.

Welcome to Websleuths, J.Knapp.

I, for one, would be very interested in any insight you can give me into what happened here.

Case Against Teen Suspects Postponed
2 Teens Charged With Killing Classmate Makia Coney

POSTED: Wednesday, February 17, 2010
UPDATED: 1:09 pm EST February 17, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The case against two University Christian School teens accused of killing their classmate has been postponed.

Charles Southern, 17, and Connor Pridgen, 16, were scheduled to have their first appearance as adults Wednesday morning in the killing of Makia Coney, 17. However, the case was passed until a later date.

Neither of them were in court Wednesday.
Assistant State Attorney Mark Caliel said more charges could be coming if investigators determine the killing was premeditated.

more here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22590930/detail.html

Makia didnt just die, She was MURDERED ,it wasnt an accident or a illness or any other unpreventable sudden death nor is it faultless. It is not unfair to say this is without motive. What motive would you accept ? Are you searching for something that says to you this is justified? He was her Friend! You should feel lucky he didnt ask you to ride with them that day.

She was a beautiful girl in a good school who had dreams and desires to be fulfilled. She will never have children or a husband,her mother will never get to see her children go to second grade.
It was unfair for the conner to MURDER Makia ,She was to young to die.
Any assumption I make on this case is fair. He is not to young to spend life in prison society needs protecting from people like this. It is no longer about how conner feels or about his life or opinion on it. It is about ensuring others safty so no other parent has to lose a child at his hands.
He apparently does not value life of others.
While I understand you may personaly be having a hard time grasping at what events transpired to bring conner to this point and I do feel for your personal pain and for all of the parents in this case ,I will not wait to form an opinion on conner for him to come up with some reason that wouldnt even come close to being able to gain my sympathy.

Amen to ALL of that. What difference does it make if it was a thrill kill or not? Either way both of them are suspected of murder. IMO, who knows what is lurking in the heart or mind of another person. Killers fool people time and time again. Is the OP trying to say it was an accident? I just want to be clear here.

Justice for Makia: Classmates in court

Last Update: 9:12 am

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Connor Pridgen and Charles Southern sat side by side inside the Duval County Courthouse early Monday morning. Both appeared today for arraignment on murder charges for killing their classmate Makia Coney in February.

Both pled "not guilty" inside Judge Goodings' courtroom. Pridgen and Southern's families were also in the courtroom. Pridgen's mother immediately started crying when she saw him in shackles.

Makia Coney's family was also present, but they left right after the boys entered their pleas.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...assmates-in-court/Z7BS6VWiSkyHz8qlC1tUsQ.cspx

Documents Detail Death Of Makia Coney
2 University Christian Classmates Charged With Murder In 17-Year-Old's Death

POSTED: Friday, March 12, 2010
UPDATED: 10:05 am EST March 12, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Documents obtained from the state attorney's office about the shooting death of a University Christian School student detail how two fellow students became suspects, then defendants charged with murder.

Makia Coney's body was found along Powers Avenue on Feb. 10, just hours after she left campus. Two days later, classmates Charles Southern, 17, and Conner Pridgen, 16, were arrested.
Police have said that Makia willingly left campus with the two boys and they rode around for a couple of hours before Southern and Pridgen each shot her one time.

According to the medical examiner's report, Makia was shot once in the face and a second time in the head. The documents no drug in her system other than caffeine.

A Florida Department of Law Enforcement report said that both guns used to kill Makia were recovered: one found in Pridgen's home and the second -- a .44-caliber revolver last in the possession of Southern -- was found off county Road 210 in St. Johns County.

Police and those familiar with the families said Southern and Pridgen were friends with Makia. None of the court documents indicate a possible motive for the shooting.

more here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22820416/detail.html

Monsters.

New Evidence Presented In Teen's Killing
2 Classmates Charged With 1st-Degree Murder Of 17-Year-Old

POSTED: Thursday, April 22, 2010
UPDATED: 12:25 pm EDT April 22, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Prosecutors presented new evidence in court Thursday in the trial of two teens accused of killing their classmate earlier this year.

Charles Southern, 17, and Connor Pridgen, 16, are charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of Makia Coney, 17.

Prosecutors said they presented 42 pages of documents made up of completed police reports. It was the first time the defense has been able to see the documents.

Also in court Thursday morning, Southern and Pridgen each waived their right to a speedy trial.

Police said Coney willingly left the campus of University Christian School with the two teens and rode around with them for a couple of hours before they shot her and left her near a ditch along Powers Avenue, not far from Wolfson High School.

more here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23232297/detail.html

I wonder when and if we'll be able to see those reports...

I wonder which one of these boys shot her in the face, for he is the devil in the flesh. If one of these boys were my son, I don't know how I would be able to accept my child could be capable of such horror. Let us not blame this behavior on music, movies, myspace, gore love. Let us call it what it is - a cold blooded murder of an innocent young girl by two very dangerous boys who with maturity would be an extreme danger to everyone.

If they could do this to a friend imagine what else they are caable of. no motive? That makes it all the more evil.

sick. IHOM

As some of us had suspected, the boys killed Makia because "they wanted to know what it felt like to kill someone"...now they get to know what it's like to go to prison at the age of 17 - which probably isn't as 'funny' as killing one's friend & classmate....I hope their life sentences are exactly that - locked away forever...what a waste of young lives, and needless pain for the families.

"Are you angry at (Coney) or you just see her as an easy target -- someone to shoot?" an investigator asked Southern in one of the audio recordings.

"Someone to shoot. I wasn't mad or anything," Southern said.

"Why? Just to see what it was like?" the investigator said.

"I felt like (Pridgen) challenged me. I had to prove myself," Southern said. "And I walked back over to the front of my truck. Connor (Pridgen) called me over there and he asked if I wanted to take the first or second shot. I told him I'd take the first shot. So I walked over there and -- still smoking, you know -- and I walked closer to her, pulled out my gun and shot her."

more here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/25842144/detail.html

Omg what pure evil these 2 are! These 2 imo are the worst kind of evil there is no remorse no feelings other than to see how it feels to kill! So sick!

those boys do not deserve a thing....not ONE thing. They do not deserve to rot in prison on my tax dollar....can't say I am sorry he got beaten either. They are plain evil.

I hope they are beaten daily for the rest of their lives. These 2 punks are pretty young, so I expect someone's gonna take a likin' to them... IYKWIM

what is happening to society!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to have to blame tv, movies and video games which have become more and more violent and most are about killing people (video games) like it is a sport....

I have been on here for 1 year now...yes only 1 year and this is the 3rd young person who has murdered someone because they wanted to know how it felt...and these are the ones that have said that I am sure it is the tip of the iceberg........1 was alyssa bustamante, the 2nd was the guy who killed Mckenzie Cowell and now these two idiots....

what is happening, is it too late to save our youth and our world?????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back