FL FL - Maribel Carrero, 9, Homestead, Dec 1982

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Maribel's photo is shown age-progressed to 32 years (02/13/2006).

Maribel's photo has been age-progressed to 38 years.

Maribel's photo is shown age-progressed to 44 years (12/6/17).

Maribel Oquendo Carrero
Miami-Dade County, Florida
9 year old hispanic/latino female

Maribel was last seen on December 5, 1986 walking to a local store. She was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, blue and pink pants and beige and brown shoes.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5932/
[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Maribel was last seen walking to a store in Homestead, Florida on either December 5 or December 6, 1982. She has never been heard from again.

The circumstances surrounding Maribel's disappearance are unclear, but some agencies state she was abducted by her non-custodial father, Olivo Oquendo Emiliano. Emiliano's date of birth is October 8, 1938; he was forty-four years old in December 1982. Photographs and additional vital statistics for him are unavailable. Maribel's case remains unsolved and few details are available regards her disappearance.

http://charleyproject.org/case/maribel-oquendo-carrero

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1817dffl.html

Former (closed) thread) https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...aribel-Oquendo-Carrero-(13)-Homestead-FL-1986

I found Emiliano Oquendo living in Lakeland and arrested multiple times. Has the police questioned him? There is a picture of him online of his mugshot. Public records shows his address. There's a domestic charge, maybe police can question her if she knows anything. I live in the town she disappeared and Lakeland is just a few hours away. DOB matches

I found Emiliano Oquendo living in Lakeland and arrested multiple times. Has the police questioned him? There is a picture of him online of his mugshot. Public records shows his address. There's a domestic charge, maybe police can question her if she knows anything. I live in the town she disappeared and Lakeland is just a few hours away. DOB matches

How has this not been solved if the police are both stating that she was taken by him but they have also arrested him since. This poor girl. Where is she.

Bump

Maribel Carrero

NCMC1020209c1.jpg

Missing Since - Dec 5, 1982
Missing From - Homestead, FL
DOB - Aug 22, 1973
Age Now - 45
Sex - Female
Race - Hispanic
Hair Color - Brown
Eye Color - Brown
Height - 4'0"
Weight - 60 lbs

Age Progressed

NCMC1020209e1.jpg

Maribel's photo is shown age-progressed to 44 years. She was last seen on December 5, 1982, walking to a local store. She was last seen wearing, a white t-shirt, blue and pink pants and beige and brown shoes.

Have you seen this child? MARIBEL CARRERO

NamUs #MP5932

Scar/mark - Pierced ears

Missing Person Case

Bumping this thread for beautiful Maribel.

9-year-old Maribel vanished 40 years ago. Family and a Homestead detective still searching

NOVEMBER 17, 2021

On that dreadful afternoon, 9-year-old Maribel Oquendo, a few quarters in her pocket, left her Homestead apartment building to buy candy at the convenience store. Less than an hour later, her older sister and mother realized Maribel had not returned.

They frantically rushed to Food Spot #21 at the Sky Vista Shopping Center. Yes, a clerk told them, Maribel had bought candy, walked out, got into a waiting car and vanished.

That was Dec. 6, 1982. Nearly four decades later, Maribel remains missing in one of South Florida’s least known missing persons cases. It’s a puzzle kept alive only by her older sister, Clarabel Garay, who has crisscrossed the Eastern Seaboard looking for signs of Maribel, and a dogged Homestead police detective.

The assumption — then, and now — is that Maribel was kidnapped by her abusive father, Emilio Oquendo, who’d vowed to get even with the girl’s mother for leaving him. But after years estranged, Garay finally tracked down her father, who is now 83 and suffering from dementia. He’s steadfastly refused to say if he knows what happened to the little girl, instead giving only cryptic remarks. Is Maribel dead? Is she alive?

“He would never tell me,” Garay said. “He would only say, ‘The same way you found me, you can find her.’ ”

The investigation is now in the hands of Homestead Detective Jennifer Roa, who was just a toddler when Maribel vanished. She keeps a photo of Maribel — big eyed and serious, wearing a birthday party hat — on her desk as inspiration.

“This case has consumed me,” Roa said. “It’s very deflating because you feel like you’re so close.” Oquendo, reached at his nursing home in Lakeland, insisted in an interview with the Herald that he had nothing to do with the girl’s disappearance. He disputed her age — he claimed she was 7 when she vanished — and claimed she vanished from school, not a convenience store.

“They’re all lies, what they say,” Oquendo said when asked about his own older daughter’s belief that he kidnapped Maribel.

A DIFFERENT ERA
Maribel disappeared in the early 1980s — a different time in law enforcement, and how the public perceives missing persons cases.

Back then, there were no Amber alerts to broadcast via Twitter pages, smartphone alerts and electronic Turnpike billboards. Police agencies and average citizens didn’t have access to today’s powerful missing persons databases. Suspected parental kidnappings rarely elicited much media coverage.

Maribel’s case got little attention back then. The Herald didn’t even do a blurb. Two weeks after Maribel vanished, the South Dade News Leader, a stalwart community newspaper, did a short story noting that police had searched a dump in Florida City, finding a shoe that possibly may have belonged to Maribel.

“I have completely scanned Homestead and haven’t come up with anything yet,” a detective told the newspaper at the time.

What led Homestead police to the dump is unclear — and the original police file on Maribel vanished, likely destroyed when Hurricane Andrew leveled South Dade in 1992.

This they did uncover: In the early 1980s, Maribel was one of three biological children of Emiliano Oquendo and Ana Maria Hernandez. Oquendo was a heavy drug user who physically and mentally abused Hernandez while they lived in New Jersey, according to the family.

Hernandez left Oquendo, taking her children to Puerto Rico, and eventually back to New Jersey — where he stalked her, according to his daughter. By 1982, they’d moved to the apartment in South Florida, where he managed to find them again, even though he was living in West Palm Beach.

According to Garay, who was 17 at the time, Oquendo showed up at the house three days before the disappearance, demanding his former girlfriend take him back. She refused. “He picked up a knife and he tried to stab her. I got in the way, crying and arguing with him,” Garay, now 56, recalled.

And, she recalled, Oquendo made a cryptic remark: “I’m going to take away the thing you love the most.”

The afternoon of the disappearance, Garay — who lived in a different apartment in the same complex as her mother’s — was home when a friend of Oquendo’s suddenly showed up, saying he needed pliers because his car broke down. Maribel walked in, saying she wanted to buy candy at the Food Spot.

The man gave her some quarters. Garay told her to grab another one of her siblings, and ask permission from her mother. Maribel, however, instead went to the store by herself.

Detectives are still working to identify that friend of Oquendo’s.

By the time Garay and Hernandez made it to the Food Spot, the clerk told her Maribel had actually spent $5 to buy candy, and then gotten into a car with several men. “I assumed it was all planned by my dad,” Garay said.

Hernandez and Garay called Homestead police, who immediately launched a search. A few weeks later, the mother and daughter found Oquendo in Lake Worth, where they saw him driving away with what appeared to be a little girl inside the car. When he eventually returned, he was alone.

“If you want to see your daughter again, you come live with me,” Garay recalled him telling her mother.

She refused. Oquendo eventually disappeared again — and fell off the map for years, living on the streets while racking up a string of petty arrests across Florida, for stealing cars, cocaine possession and shoplifting, among other charges.

The case revived in 2004, when Hernandez and Garay walked into the Homestead police station to inquire about the case.

A REVIVED CASE
The investigation was eventually assigned to Roa, of Homestead police’s special victims unit.

For years, she’s pored through records trying to piece together Maribel’s early life. The girl’s family was able to provide a copy of her last immunization record.

Maribel might have attended West Homestead Elementary — a sibling and cousin went to the school. But the Miami-Dade school district can’t find any records on her. And Roa can’t ask Maribel’s mother. She died in 2015.

“It’s like she didn’t exist,” Roa said. “I can’t get any information on her. How does no teacher ever wonder what ever happened to this student?”

Roa even tracked down the original owner of Food Spot #21, but he no longer has any records of the employees who might have worked at the store almost 40 years ago. No one else knows anything about the still-unidentified men in the car that the clerk recalls bore Maribel away.

The interviews have been exhaustive. Roa tracked down most of Oquendo’s siblings, other children and associates — and most are dead.

There’s nothing on paper so far to suggest Maribel is alive. The U.S. Department of Labor reported her Social Security number hasn’t been used for wages in Florida. The U.S. Social Security Administration won’t release any information on the little girl’s Social Security number unless she is recorded as deceased.

Still, Roa’s searched variations of Maribel’s names to see if she would be using them now. Maribel was sometimes called Marilyn, and also had the surname Carrero. No luck.

She’s also interviewed a slew of Maribel Oquendos, living as far away as New York City. Some were evasive at first, but all could provide verifiable details about their childhoods. “I’ve lost track of how many,” Roa said.

Even in his old age, Oquendo himself has refused to give answers. In interviews with police, he’s repeatedly denied involvement. Reached by the Herald, he insisted he helped look for the child and instead blamed Hernandez. But he couldn’t explain why the girl’s mother would take a child she already had custody of.

“I can’t say. We looked for her. She never appeared,” Oquendo said.

Although Garay eventually established somewhat of a relationship with him — she cared for him for several months earlier this year, before he was taken to a nursing home — he stubbornly said little about the case, she said.

“I tried to find out, to find out if he’s softening,” Garay said. “I used to get on my knees, beg him and cry for him to tell me. And he would say, ‘No. I don’t know nothing.’ Then, he would just start laughing.”

Roa and Garay believe there are people alive, maybe in the Vega Alta region of Puerto Rico, or New Jersey or Florida, who may know what happened but have been scared of Oquendo. But now, he’s elderly and no longer a threat, Garay said.

“I’m hoping she’s alive, but we don’t know that. There’s nothing to prove she’s alive. There’s nothing to prove she’s dead,” Garay said. “I miss her. I miss her smile, her eyes, her joy. Her singing and dancing and playing.”

Anyone with information on Maribel’s disappearance can call Detective Roa at 305-224-5436, or Miami-Dade CrimeStoppers at 305-471-8477.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/lo...2e5o9thPHFb_q5VywsvXPvrcg-NMM0IfFN4PbKRhKxi6o

No report of wages under her SSN could mean she doesn’t remember her original name nor would she have her SSN. If she was taken in by one of the men’s families, they would have renamed her and applied for a new SSN. Back then it would have been easy to do.

If the sister does her DNA on Ancestry or 23andMe, it is possible she will match to Maribel, or her child.

The sister could also provide her DNA so she can be a match to a UID.

Maribel Oquendo-Carrero – The Charley Project

Last updated November 17, 2021; picture added, age-progression, distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.

upload_2021-11-17_19-12-58.jpeg

• Distinguishing CharacteristicsHispanic female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Maribel may use the first name Marilyn.
Details of Disappearance
Maribel left her family's home in Homestead, Florida on the afternoon of December 6, 1982 to buy candy. A friend of her father's gave her some quarters to pay with. Her older sister told her to take one of her siblings and ask permission from their mother, but Maribel went to the store by herself. She did arrive at Food Spot #21, a store in the 1600 block of northeast 8th Street, and spent $5 on candy. The clerk saw her go outside and get into a car that was waiting. She has never been heard from again.

One theory is that Maribel was abducted by her non-custodial father, Emiliano Olivo Oquendo. He was a heavy drug user and physically and emotionally abused Maribel's mother, Ana Maria Hernandez. When they were together they lived in New Jersey, and had three children.

Eventually Hernandez left him with the the children and moved to Puerto Rico for a time. When she returned to New Jersey, Oquendo reportedly stalked her. By 1982, Hernandez had taken the children to Florida, but Emiliano had found them there. Maribel's sister Clarabel Garay, who was seventeen at the time, said three days before Maribel disappeared, Emiliano showed up at their home, demanded Hernandez resume their relationship, and tried to stab her when she refused. He said, "I’m going to take away the thing you love the most."

A few weeks after Maribel's disappearance, Hernandez and Garay found Emiliano in Lake Worth, Florida and saw him driving away with what looked like a small girl in the back of his car. When he came back, he was alone, and told Hernandez, "If you want to see your daughter again, you come live with me."

Emiliano's date of birth is October 8, 1938; he was forty-four years old in December 1982. A current photo of him is posted with this case summary. He has been arrested multiple times in Florida in recent years, always on minor charges. He is now elderly, suffers from dementia, and lives in a nursing home. A photo of Emiliano is posted with this case summary. According to Maribel's sister, he has refused to say whether he knows what happened to Maribel.

Maribel's case remains unsolved and the circumstances of her disappearance are unclear.

Maribel has been missing for 40 years.

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10K for information about her location or the person(s) responsible for her disappearance...

Her father would be 84 if he’s still living and still has his memory.

The FBI is offering $10,000 for information leading to the recovery of Oquendo-Carrero and/or the identification, arrest, and conviction of the person responsible for her disappearance

The girl has ties to Puerto Rico, New Jersey, New York and Florida.

How has this not been solved if the police are both stating that she was taken by him but they have also arrested him since. This poor girl. Where is she.
The father has dementia now and most likely he will pretend not to remember but has anyone contacted New Jersey police? I am sure the father had something to do with the dissaperance and he might had drove her to New Jersey. Does anyone know the type of car the father was driving?

Maribel Oquendo-Carrero – The Charley Project

Last updated November 17, 2021; picture added, age-progression, distinguishing characteristics and details of disappearance updated.

View attachment 322633

• Distinguishing CharacteristicsHispanic female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Maribel may use the first name Marilyn.
Details of Disappearance
Maribel left her family's home in Homestead, Florida on the afternoon of December 6, 1982 to buy candy. A friend of her father's gave her some quarters to pay with. Her older sister told her to take one of her siblings and ask permission from their mother, but Maribel went to the store by herself. She did arrive at Food Spot #21, a store in the 1600 block of northeast 8th Street, and spent $5 on candy. The clerk saw her go outside and get into a car that was waiting. She has never been heard from again.

One theory is that Maribel was abducted by her non-custodial father, Emiliano Olivo Oquendo. He was a heavy drug user and physically and emotionally abused Maribel's mother, Ana Maria Hernandez. When they were together they lived in New Jersey, and had three children.

Eventually Hernandez left him with the the children and moved to Puerto Rico for a time. When she returned to New Jersey, Oquendo reportedly stalked her. By 1982, Hernandez had taken the children to Florida, but Emiliano had found them there. Maribel's sister Clarabel Garay, who was seventeen at the time, said three days before Maribel disappeared, Emiliano showed up at their home, demanded Hernandez resume their relationship, and tried to stab her when she refused. He said, "I’m going to take away the thing you love the most."

A few weeks after Maribel's disappearance, Hernandez and Garay found Emiliano in Lake Worth, Florida and saw him driving away with what looked like a small girl in the back of his car. When he came back, he was alone, and told Hernandez, "If you want to see your daughter again, you come live with me."

Emiliano's date of birth is October 8, 1938; he was forty-four years old in December 1982. A current photo of him is posted with this case summary. He has been arrested multiple times in Florida in recent years, always on minor charges. He is now elderly, suffers from dementia, and lives in a nursing home. A photo of Emiliano is posted with this case summary. According to Maribel's sister, he has refused to say whether he knows what happened to Maribel.

Maribel's case remains unsolved and the circumstances of her disappearance are unclear.
Has anyone try to contact the New Jersey police? The father might had drove to New Jersey at the time and does anyone know what kind of car the father was driving at the time?

A woman that went missing 22 years ago would be celebrating her 50th birthday Tuesday.

The FBI and Homestead Police Department (HPD) are asking the public to come forward with information.

At just nine years old, Maribel Oquendo-Carrero left her home on Dec. 6, 1982, to walk to the corner store in Homestead, Florida, to buy some items. She was never seen or heard from again.

The FBI is offering $25,000 to anyone with information leading to the recovery of Maribel or the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for her disappearance, a news release said.

The young child, who is now 50 years old, was born in Camden, New Jersey, but has ties to Puerto Rico, New York and Florida.

When I saw Maribel's case I thought how much of a coincidence is it that Jennifer Marteliz went missing November 15, 1982 from Tampa. Even though opposite sides of state they both were young children, looked simular, and were walking to store or home from school. I'm not sure this case is non custodial parent thing. Seems stranger abduction to me. Especially since after all these years there has not been an arrest nor Maribel found alive. I wonder if there are simular missing child cases that have similarities from that time. Jennifer Sophia Marteliz – The Charley Project

I just searched missing kids database between Jan 1, 1980-Jan 1, 1985 age range 5-12 hispanic either sex and it's strange to me only Maribel and Jennifer where the only ones to come up. What seems eerie is they went missing just over 2 weeks apart.

I just searched missing kids database between Jan 1, 1980-Jan 1, 1985 age range 5-12 hispanic either sex and it's strange to me only Maribel and Jennifer where the only ones to come up. What seems eerie is they went missing just over 2 weeks apart.
i wonder if LE ever considered this connection and tried to track Thomas Welnicki's whereabouts on November 15. both cases seem to point to obvious suspects, but it is possible Welnicki and his unidentified partner started with Jennifer and then once the floodgates were open, one or both of them felt compelled to attack gain quickly and looked closer to home.

Also, going down a bit of a rabbit hole, is this the SAME Thomas Welnicki? The ages line up...

Man's threat to assassinate Trump was "drunken cry" for reassurance: Lawyer

Man's Threat to Assassinate Trump Was 'Drunken Cry' for Reassurance: Lawyer​

The lawyer representing a man who is accused of threatening to kill former President Donald Trump recently said that the threats were instead a "drunken cry for reassurance."

In January, 72-year-old Thomas Welnicki was arrested by U.S. Secret Service agents after he made several phone calls to the agency making threats to kill Trump as well as some members of Congress if the former president lost the 2020 election and did not concede the results.

1700497352156.png1700497248713.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769
Back