FL - Mother tries to sell 18-month old for $500, then abandons child after being unable to find a buyer - March 14, 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score
I know the Safe Haven law is for very young infants, but she could have left the baby at the firehouse or police station. Just leaving it on the street corner, unbelievable. Where's the baby's father? Any family who can take the baby?

I know the Safe Haven law is for very young infants, but she could have left the baby at the firehouse or police station. Just leaving it on the street corner, unbelievable. Where's the baby's father? Any family who can take the baby?
MOO: because drug addicts with other pervasive issues don’t act in rational ways, and we can make ourselves nuts trying to figure out why not (“I led the horse to water!”) but we’re better served by letting go of a question that thousands of years of human history has struggled to answer, and instead put our hopes in the legal system. I hope this case finds a benevolent and warm judge who takes the steps necessary to put this kid in a stable, calm, loving home as quickly as possible, and I hope this woman gets treatment. When I look at her picture, honestly, all I see - again, MOO - is suffering and struggle, much of which is self-imposed for sure, but, I’m not casting that first stone.

I agree with what @LoveyG said above: "Well, I'm glad she walked away."
It could have been one more deceased soul, and a woman facing LWOP or whatever Florida has for such.
If there are no known and able relatives to adopt the child, the child will most likely go to Children's Services (or whatever the proper name is for Florida).
Hoping the child is healthy. If the child is healthy or gets healthy soon, I feel sure a good number of people would get in line for an adoption.
This, IMO, was a close call, folks. :(

Patrol officers and members of the department’s Victim Advocate Unit cared for the toddler until agents with the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) arrived and took custody of the little girl. In the days that followed authorities said that DCF was able to place the toddler in foster care.
Florida mom tried to sell 18-month-old for $500 before abandoning toddler: Cops

Police said Jessica Woods, 33, was loitering around a H&R Block office in Palatka with her 18-month-old daughter, who had a bruise on her face, on March 5.
[snip]
As Woods used the H&R Block restroom to change the child, the worker witnessed the mother hit her daughter with her elbow and then spank her, according to the probable cause affidavit seen by DailyMail.com.

The next morning, the witness arrived back at the office and found Woods sleeping on top of the outside air conditioner unit - and the 18-month-old was sleeping near her in a shopping cart without a blanket.
[snip]
Later in the day around 2pm, the witness said Woods crossed the busy street and went over to talk with her. She put the baby down on the ground, near some grass.

The 18-month-old began to crawl towards a busy road, the police document stated.

The worker picked up the baby - and it was at this point that Woods allegedly offered to sell her daughter for $500.

According to the affidavit, the woman said she would not give her any money. Woods then replied: 'You can have the b*****d.'
Florida woman tried to sell her daughter for $500

This baby girl dodged a bullet. Praying DCF doesn't offer this woman a chance to be "reunified" with her daughter.

At first I wanted to say "at least she didn't murder the kid somehow" but then I read she left it on a street corner, which ofc puts the tot at risk of getting hit by a car.

She looks like a real "winner."
hope she doesn't get the child back...ever
The jaded side of me (the dominant one) knows the state will explore all possible ways to give her the kid back.

Patrol officers and members of the department’s Victim Advocate Unit cared for the toddler until agents with the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) arrived and took custody of the little girl. In the days that followed authorities said that DCF was able to place the toddler in foster care.
Florida mom tried to sell 18-month-old for $500 before abandoning toddler: Cops

Police said Jessica Woods, 33, was loitering around a H&R Block office in Palatka with her 18-month-old daughter, who had a bruise on her face, on March 5.
[snip]
As Woods used the H&R Block restroom to change the child, the worker witnessed the mother hit her daughter with her elbow and then spank her, according to the probable cause affidavit seen by DailyMail.com.

The next morning, the witness arrived back at the office and found Woods sleeping on top of the outside air conditioner unit - and the 18-month-old was sleeping near her in a shopping cart without a blanket.
[snip]
Later in the day around 2pm, the witness said Woods crossed the busy street and went over to talk with her. She put the baby down on the ground, near some grass.

The 18-month-old began to crawl towards a busy road, the police document stated.

The worker picked up the baby - and it was at this point that Woods allegedly offered to sell her daughter for $500.

According to the affidavit, the woman said she would not give her any money. Woods then replied: 'You can have the b*****d.'
Florida woman tried to sell her daughter for $500

This baby girl dodged a bullet. Praying DCF doesn't offer this woman a chance to be "reunified" with her daughter.

seriously why did the witness not call the cops the second they saw her abusing the child???

At first I wanted to say "at least she didn't murder the kid somehow" but then I read she left it on a street corner, which ofc puts the tot at risk of getting hit by a car.

She looks like a real "winner."

The jaded side of me (the dominant one) knows the state will explore all possible ways to give her the kid back.

and at one point the baby was crawling towards traffic and the day before the suspect was seen abusing the child

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrackingCrime
Back