FL FL - Peggy Byars-Baisden, 23, Highland City, 2 April 1965

Bumping. Wonder since the car is missing too - could she have driven into water or something?
I think it's a strong possibility that the car was disposed of in water and the body too. Lakeland, Florida in that city has 38 lakes.
One huge remote lake directly behind their neighborhood.
Lake Hancock.
That red point is the area she lived on the area of 3rd St and Central Avenue.
The second pic is the number of lakes in the Lakeland city limits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-221654_Maps-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220806-221654_Maps-01.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220806-215044_Maps-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220806-215044_Maps-01.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 4
PByers-Baisden.jpg

Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden
Missing since April 2, 1965 from Highland City, Polk County, Florida.
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: July 1, 1941
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 120 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes
    • Marks, Scars: Previous broken finger, broken collar bones, broken back, broken right ankle and broken jaw.
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Byars-Baisden left her home in Highland City, FL between 18:00 - 19:00 on April 2, 1965. She was headed to The Chatterbox Bar, which was located where the Polk County Parkway intersects with Highway 98 south near Eaton Park.

Byars-Baisden was driving a 1959 light green two-door Chevrolet coupe with Florida license plates number 5W-21118. A witness observed Byars-Baisden in The Chatterbox Bar's parking lot with an unidentified Caucasian male. Her car was apparently having mechanical problems and the man was assisting her.

Byars-Baisden's vehicle was never found. Her family reported her missing the day after she was seen.
Byars-Baisden was divorced with two children when she disappeared. She worked as a waitress while raising her children. Foul play is suspected.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Polk County Sheriff's Office
863-533-0344

or
800-226-0344

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 1996-41205

NCIC Number: M-807362264
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Polk County Sheriff's Office
The Ledger
FDLE
The Doe Network: Case File 84DFFL
DID you read the BROKEN BONES she had in her life??
"Marks, Scars: Previous broken finger, broken collar bones, broken back, broken right ankle and broken jaw" (Citing above)
Dear God. She seems like a domestic violence victim. Any info on her ex-husband?
Since Peggy Baisden and Mary Margaret Cook lived on the SAME street and both had 2 kids it's very possible they knew each other.
It was a small community. Both women could've shoppedat the same grocery store, attended the same church, their kids could've played together, and could've attended the same school. Rode the same bus.
TOO many possibilities of them crossing paths to ignore it.
The car years are irrelevant but a shock, nonetheless. But, the injuries of Peggy concern me.
I've read Earl Cook was "an evil drunk" , could Earl have known Peggy's husband? We're all grown-ups here. That degree of abuse in a small community in the same street would be heard. Although people would play it off.
Maybe Peggy and Earl crossed paths on that street and he and she struck up a relationship or affair. An affair that she wanted to break off. And it went badly.
Telling someone bad news in public is the way to get them to not strike you.
Maybe, just maybe she wanted to break it off and he controlled himself enough to sabotage the car and wait. Maybe he was the guy fixing the car.
Just brainstorming here.
Now back to Mary Margaret Cook.
Her wedding rings were off and found in the house.
Was she planning to leave Earl and he lost it after coming home drunk?
Mary Margaret Cook was supposed to go on a "camping trip" but heard her husband was driving home from where he stayed in Palm Beach area and she canceled. Mary was going to make a new GREEN outfit. She told her mother about it. Sounds like Earl was controlling and could do what HE wanted and women were property. And the argument that Mary's son said happened where Earl took her outside yelling him NOT TO LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW!! Then it gets quiet, he runs in and grabs a RED Blanket from the house and goes to the car to wrap her in it and throw her in the trunk. NEVER to be seen again.
BUT, the next day her eyeglasses are found in her purse. (She can't see without them)
Where would she go if she can't see without them? She went into a lake. (My opinion)
NOBODY has seen her at the J.M. Fields department store because she never went there. Earl dumped the body and walked the 7 miles home most likely. It's 7.1 Miles and would take 2 hours to walk home that night.
Was Mary Margaret Cook ACTUALLY 4'11" tall? I doubt it. If anyone knows please let us know.
The assumption that she NEVER had dental work is ludicrous. A lady that has had 2 sons, drives a Cadillac and wears glasses isn't going to get her teeth checked?
Wrong, she would.
Earl Cook stated his "wife had perfect teeth" that's hearsay. NOT a medical record.
Law enforcement back in the 60sand 70s believed the spouse because they were naive. Now we know via statistics that the spouse is usually the PRIME suspect or person of interest.
I wouldn't believe anything Earl Cook said.
I believe he DIDN'T report it after that fight either. I think he waited a while and then staged the whole car thing.
Honest men don't beat their wives.
Abusers always seek victims. Was Peggy abused or was she in a car wrec? That lost of injuries is consistent with domestic violence. For her to break her jaw (the strongest bone in the human body is VERY suspicious) sounds like she was punched and stomped in the past.
Also did those injuries to Peggy haired before, during or after her marriage?
By the way, that BROKEN RIGHT ANKLE sounds kinda familiar.
Mary Cook had a discolored area on her RIGHT ankle. Abusers rarely break patterns.

I think they'll soon find something God willing. I've seen forums where the brothers and sisters swear he husband was a sweet loving man. Ted Bundy's mother thought he was sweet also. Seems odd that her children were raised after her death by a neighbor. Plus they're trying to say Peggy Baisden was beaten by her make cousin for refusing to give money she was holding for him during a poker game. That would make them ALL accessories to first degree murder. If ANYONE has any info on the case
Please contact the
Polk County Sheriff's Office at
(863) 298-6834
Regarding case # 96-041205

Last edited:

peggy_wynell_byars-baisden_en_ci.png

Peggy Byars-Baisden, age 23, missing since 2 April 1965​

59 years missing.

Regarding her broken bones, this is said here
"She had been in a serious car accident when she was younger, causing a broken finger, broken collar bones, broken back, broken right ankle and a broken jaw."

The lake mentioned in a tip that they sent divers in ~2006/2007, does anyone know which one it was?

There have been some water search efforts lately.
October of 2023 Sunshine State Sonar searched bodies of water in a 5 mile radius of her last known location.
According to their posts at the time, they've searched a total of 34 bodies of water in Polk County so far, including the entire area of Saddle Creek, and located atleast 4 vehicles that were unrelated to her case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back