FL FL - Punta Gorda, Zemel Rd, OtherMale 30-59, UP1066, gold Bulova watch, Jan'02

dotr

Reaction score
Charlotte County authorities looking for information on two cold cases
''2002: Unidentified Remains on Zemel Road

On Jan. 6, 2002, decomposed remains were found in bushes on the side of Zemel Road in Charlotte County, according to officials.

Two people were driving on Zemel Road when they stopped to locate an animal that had run across the road. While searching, they found bones and called the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.

More bones and a human skull were found at the site. A medical examiner determined the cause of death was a homicide.

Seventeen years later, in 2019, a forensic anthropologist, issued a report requested by the sheriff’s office’s cold case team. It was determined the victim was a male, between 30 and 59 years old, and between 5 feet, 3 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall.

It also showed that the ancestry could be African/Black, but European or White and Latin American/Hispanic could not be ruled out.

The estimated time of death could be several weeks to several months, according to officials.

Earlier this year, the cold case team asked the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office forensic imaging team to create an image of how the victim might have looked before he was killed.

HJZMQUGDT5F27GBJMM6T5MFA5A.jpg

Cold case victim (Courtesy: Charlotte County Sheriff's Office)(Charlotte County Sheriff's Office)
Included in the image above is a photograph of a Bulova watch found on the arm of the remains when they were found in 2002.

No information has even been received to help identify this man. The sheriff’s office said there have been reports he was involved in a fight and was beaten to death before his body was dumped. These reports also claim these individuals took the victim’s bloody clothes and a weapon and buried them in a field near Grapefruit Lane in Punta Gorda.

CCSO officials did not say if these reports have been confirmed or investigated.

The cold case team would like to talk with anyone who might have information on this case.''

ETA, thread for the other UID referenced in article..
FL - Florida- Female, African/Black or Latino/Hispanic, 18-35, 5'7-8'', Tam Miami Trail, 12 Feb.1980

This is his NamUs page The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

#UP1066
Date Body Found January 6, 2002
ME/C Case Number 2002-00015

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity Other
Estimated Age Range 30-59
Estimated Year of Death 0-2001
Height 5' 3"-5' 11"(63-71 inches) , Estimated
Weight 125-175 lbs, Estimated

Location Punta Gorda, Florida
County Charlotte County

Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains found off Zemel Road with a gold watch.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Jewelry Watch

Thumbnail

This is his NamUs page The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

#UP1066
Date Body Found January 6, 2002
ME/C Case Number 2002-00015

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity Other
Estimated Age Range 30-59
Estimated Year of Death 0-2001
Height 5' 3"-5' 11"(63-71 inches) , Estimated
Weight 125-175 lbs, Estimated

Location Punta Gorda, Florida
County Charlotte County

Circumstances of Recovery Skeletal remains found off Zemel Road with a gold watch.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

Jewelry Watch

Thumbnail
LOL...ty for posting this. I was literally in the process of pasting when I saw your message pop up.

Jose Ramon Bernal went missing in September 2001 from Miami. This fits the PMI timeline. He was 33 so age is also within the estimate.

Jose looks similar to UID.

View attachment 364894View attachment 364904
What in the world? This lists missing date as 1996! Jose Ramon Bernal – The Charley Project

ETA: Either way, I think it’s a good match.

I will see if I can get the missing date clarified as 1996 vs 2001 would make a difference. Let me see what I can find.

I meant to mention the watch as well, although there is no description detailing the watch for MP.

The elongated facial feature is unique on both MP and UID recon.

I will see if I can get the missing date clarified as 1996 vs 2001 would make a difference. Let me see what I can find.

I meant to mention the watch as well, although there is no description detailing the watch for MP.

The elongated facial feature is unique on both MP and UID recon.
I wonder if local law enforcement had contact with him in 2001? That could explain why NamUs is the only place I saw it listed as that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back