FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping the media and the public preoccupied and distracted away from where the real investigation was ongoing. When reading Tara's post above from FBI/LE, if I substitute 'dumpster' for 'landfill' or maybe that OTHER landfill, it makes a whole lot more sense. There is no isolating of trash from those trucks as you can see in the photos. And remember this would be WEDNESDAY'S trash pick up routes being dumped in the photos. Not Tuesdays. I am interested in hearing you and your husbands brainstorming on this.

Searching people trash and looking in dumpsters on tuesday morning along with saying they think there was foul play speaks loud and clear to me

If they though someone may have kidnapped her why where they step up at OPAA and the JR high school. Wh not set up on a bigger street? One of those two place must be the crime scene if not both of them

We are obviously not on the same page with the whole dumpster thing here. There is a lot of confusion.
1) If it was a construction dumpster, those are rented and called for a removal/replacement and hauled away by a truck.
2) If it was a commercial dumpster then it is emptied on a route into a garbage truck on Tuesdays
3) If it was a residential container ( unlikely ) then it was scheduled for pick up on Wednesdays.

People keep mentioning what was found around her body. If she was as many think, just emptied into a truck on a route along with the contents of many other dumpsters. Then in turn transferred into another larger truck along with the contents of many other garbage trucks, what does it matter WHAT was found around her at the dump?

Only if that dumpster was pinpointed before it was emptied does it matter what contents were surrounding her! Otherwise, if even true she was found with broken glass or construction materials, there would be liklihood it could have come from anywhere.

Again, most construction sites use a dumpster like the one at Gano. Most regular dumpsters don't allow yard debris or construction materials emptied into them.

Keeping the media and the public preoccupied and distracted away from where the real investigation was ongoing. When reading Tara's post above from FBI/LE, if I substitute 'dumpster' for 'landfill' or maybe that OTHER landfill, it makes a whole lot more sense. There is no isolating of trash from those trucks as you can see in the photos. And remember this would be WEDNESDAY'S trash pick up routes being dumped in the photos. Not Tuesdays. I am interested in hearing you and your husbands brainstorming on this.

SO if what you are saying is correct and if I understand you correctly, Somer came from a residential container....

??
:waitasec:

If each dump truck is being followed by LE, wouldn't they know which order each is unloaded onto the semi and in which order it all comes out? Surely all that organization makes it easier than just searching for a needle in a haystack. Maybe they just didn't want to search each individual dumpster and wanted it all put into one place thinking that the forensics on the body would tell enough.

When a garbage truck is emptied, it lifts and dumps out just like a regular dump truck. So stuff inside gets jumbled as it pours out the back, usually as the driver pulls forward slowly. So whatever order it was collected in, would be lost as it emptied. No matter what notes were made. Then IF they were following normal collection procedures another truck would dump. Then a guy on a ( probably fork lift with blade) would shove it into the semi, packing it in, until full enough for a load.

These detectives assigned were investigators. Don't you think they looked in each dumpster as they got to it. She would have been near the top of stuff. It wouldn't have been that hard to do it the easy way. JMO

LE's main intention was to preserve the crime scene & to preserve evidence.

If they were unaware (at that time) of the crime scene, but had a possible lead in terms of evidence (including the body of the deceased), they would take whatever measures necessary to protect the integrity of that evidence.

Allowing the dumpster garbage to be mixed with other dumpster garbage would have compromised evidence, which was why they assigned an officer to follow each truck before it was dumped with the other garbage. The Rosemary Hill Landfill was a ruse.

I believe her body was recovered @ the Chesser Island Landfill, as was reported by media & also by LE. I have seen what I believe to be a photo of her body there in images of the landfill, covered by a yellow "blanket" such as paramedics use to cover the bodies of the deceased.

But I also believe LE intervened ahead of time to prevent garbage from being mixed with other garbage, so that they could control where & when that garbage was released into the landfill, and so that they could be there waiting when the truck containing her released its load.

Chain of Custody.

ETA: I didn't want to post what I posted about the photo @ Chesser Island Landfill, out of respect for the victim & the victim's family. But since it is in the media, I suppose it is public domain. I'm truly sorry to anyone who might be offended.

SO if what you are saying is correct and if I understand you correctly, Somer came from a residential container....

??
:waitasec:

No. I am saying that the media wasn't aware they were following the trucks on Tuesday and I believe searching then. The media was told and came out Wed. for the photo op, so the semi you see in the photo would be of Wed. trash from who knows where being dumped. There was no camera on the scene for the search, wherever it was done on TUESDAY, dumpster day.

Since they pic shows they aren't separating that truckload out and are dumping it right into the mix of the rest. LE is just standing around. And this is WED. the day we are told she was found there!

ETA: She was, by all evidence shown, not found at Chesser Island on Wednesday. Good police tactic though, dont' you think? I hope a perp is reading this and knows that LE is smart. And they will be caught.

If I am correct and again thats an If
We are over thinking this whole crime
This was an act of anger the body was dumped ASAP
DT did not expect LE to be at the corner of Floyd and gano
When caylee was dumped look how close she was to her own home
while everyone was making maps / cell phone pings and chasing zanny

Search for Somer Thompson: Experts say landfill forensics search isn't easy
It's hard to preserve and gather clues even under the best conditions

[snipped...]For homicide investigators, it's one of the most difficult searches to make: sifting through mounds of garbage in hopes of finding leads.

On Wednesday afternoon, a slow and careful search of the Chesser Island Road Landfill in Georgia ended with a grisly discovery - the body of a young girl, presumed to be a 7-year-old Orange Park girl missing since Monday.

Georgia investigators began searching the landfill Tuesday for clues in the disappearance of Somer Thompson. The landfill is where garbage trucks from Orange Park take their trash.

Experts say searching a landfill for criminal evidence can be difficult because there's so much risk of contamination.

Ross Gardner, a national forensics expert based in Oklahoma, said it's usually easy to know where to start looking, because most landfills are strictly organized into cells by location and date.

If it's not well-organized, then "it's kind of poke and hope," said Gardner, a former Army crime-scene investigator and chief of police in Lake City, Ga.

But even at an organized site, landfill searches are a huge challenge. Almost as soon as debris is spread atop the dump, it's compacted by steel-wheeled rollers. By the end of the first day, it will usually be covered with soil to control odors.

"Even in a fresh situation like they were dealing with [in the Somer case], unless you're so lucky that the body just pops out on top, you're going to have to do some excavation," said Paul Laska, a forensic consultant in Palm City. As a crime-scene investigator, he spent a month in 1993 excavating a Martin County landfill looking for a little girl's body.

That can mean bringing in cadaver dogs trained to sniff for human remains to help narrow the search.

Once crews find debris from the right day and hauler, the search can become more like an archaeological excavation, he said, with material sifted delicately, despite the damage already done by daily landfill operations.

It can be difficult to recognize meaningful evidence in a small mountain of twisted refuse and decay.

"You've got broken glass, broken metal, a lot of just nasty stuff in there," Laska said. "You're going to find bones, because that's a garbage dump."

If a body is discovered, it can be difficult to preserve DNA evidence - even if investigators move slowly and carefully. Most of the evidence can be contaminated before search crews even arrive.

Though evidence of sexual abuse inside the body may be preserved, Gardner said anything on the exterior of the body might not hold up as evidence because so much trash gets mixed together. Debris surrounding the body could be connected to the case, such as a glove or a piece of clothing, but that can be very hard to prove.

(more at link)

[snipped...]For homicide investigators, it's one of the most difficult searches to make: sifting through mounds of garbage in hopes of finding leads.

On Wednesday afternoon, a slow and careful search of the Chesser Island Road Landfill in Georgia ended with a grisly discovery - the body of a young girl, presumed to be a 7-year-old Orange Park girl missing since Monday.

Georgia investigators began searching the landfill Tuesday for clues in the disappearance of Somer Thompson. The landfill is where garbage trucks from Orange Park take their trash.

Experts say searching a landfill for criminal evidence can be difficult because there's so much risk of contamination.

Ross Gardner, a national forensics expert based in Oklahoma, said it's usually easy to know where to start looking, because most landfills are strictly organized into cells by location and date.

If it's not well-organized, then "it's kind of poke and hope," said Gardner, a former Army crime-scene investigator and chief of police in Lake City, Ga.

But even at an organized site, landfill searches are a huge challenge. Almost as soon as debris is spread atop the dump, it's compacted by steel-wheeled rollers. By the end of the first day, it will usually be covered with soil to control odors.

"Even in a fresh situation like they were dealing with [in the Somer case], unless you're so lucky that the body just pops out on top, you're going to have to do some excavation," said Paul Laska, a forensic consultant in Palm City. As a crime-scene investigator, he spent a month in 1993 excavating a Martin County landfill looking for a little girl's body.

That can mean bringing in cadaver dogs trained to sniff for human remains to help narrow the search.

Once crews find debris from the right day and hauler, the search can become more like an archaeological excavation, he said, with material sifted delicately, despite the damage already done by daily landfill operations.

It can be difficult to recognize meaningful evidence in a small mountain of twisted refuse and decay.

"You've got broken glass, broken metal, a lot of just nasty stuff in there," Laska said. "You're going to find bones, because that's a garbage dump."

If a body is discovered, it can be difficult to preserve DNA evidence - even if investigators move slowly and carefully. Most of the evidence can be contaminated before search crews even arrive.

Though evidence of sexual abuse inside the body may be preserved, Gardner said anything on the exterior of the body might not hold up as evidence because so much trash gets mixed together. Debris surrounding the body could be connected to the case, such as a glove or a piece of clothing, but that can be very hard to prove.

(more at link)

Where is the news choppers over head showing that happening
They said it took six hours to remove the body
What no news people rushing to get a shot of the action?

The ME from Savannah, GA performed the autopsy, as reported by media. If her body had been recovered in Florida, a Florida ME would have performed the autopsy.

There was much debate in the media after her remains were found as to who had jurisdiction to investigate the case. If her remains were recovered in Florida, there would have been no debate about jurisdiction.

What I meant was that to her co-workers, when she left she gave no indication that something terrible had happened. She probably gave them some excuse (I'm just saying here what I would have done, because she doesn't want them to know the abuse taking place), and it was 4 o'clock and she would be off soon anyway. I didn't mean that she just jumped up.

I can now almost feel the surreal panic setting in, not wanting to let on too much what was going on, and running to the car.

As far as I know, no one knows for sure when SP arrived at the house, but if she had to drive all the way home from the office (20-minute drive), it wasn't for "lunch" - she was trying to protect her children.

Of course, we don't know how many times she had had to leave early - we don't know her work history - and we don't know how volatile things were in that household. I just recognized the feelings and actions I would have done then, after what 4mer told us DT had told a mutual friend about 3 months earlier.

Clarification and my apologies: This talk was in summer 2008 not 2009.

Some of you may have seen this but it's new to me. It's a traveling Facebook message that released a virtual balloon for Somer. There are 3,404 comments, a lot of them from locals and some seem pretty interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php.../carolyn.sue1?v=feed&story_fbid=5003341077142

The nice lady who has this Facebook account has nothing special to do with Somer's case, she's just a commenter who has a public wall.

They exist, trust me.

susan smith got rid of her kids for the loser that she was dating...he didn't want them, she could have easily gave them to the dad and walked away...but she made up a story, and drowned those poor little boys.

(more at link)

OK. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You did see the pictures from the landfill CCane posted, right? Do you see any organization there. Any searching by those officers? The sheriff said 9 people were assigned to this dumpsite. The other article you posted refers to a special evidence recovery assigned AFTER she was found. That was like about 23, 16 respectively I think. " Debris surrounding the body"...? Looking at the pictures, that just boggles my mind. Maybe I am misreading this and only hope she was found in the dumpster. The evidence collected would not be so easily discounted as random trash. It would mean her body was better preserved.
It just would seem to defeat the purpose of posting detectives on the scene of each truck, if all you were going to do is search through that huge pile looking for a small child and ANY connected evidence in a mountain of garbage like that still !!

Landfill Where Somer's Body Found Now a Major Crime Scene

FOLKSTON, GA -- Helicopters, canine units and crime scene tape covered the Chesser Island Landfill this afternoon as officials combed through trash searching for any evidence that could help them figure out what happened to the 7-year-old girl they found there Wednesday.

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler confirmed Thursday morning that the body found there was that of first-grader Somer Thompson, who vanished Monday afternoon.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigations took aerial photos of the landfill from a helicopter. Other investigators were walking the grounds, which is where all trash from Somer's neighborhood is taken.

Canine units and other vans circled the area, which was surrounded by crime scene tape.

ETA additional info from report: Investigators removed the body early Thursday around 2 a.m. The sheriff's office said the GBI and FBI are in charge of sifting through the surrounding garbage at the Chesser Island Landfill in Folkston to see if they can find any other clues.

(more at link)

OK. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You did see the pictures from the landfill CCane posted, right? Do you see any organization there. Any searching by those officers? The sheriff said 9 people were assigned to this dumpsite. The other article you posted refers to a special evidence recovery assigned AFTER she was found. That was like about 23, 16 respectively I think. " Debris surrounding the body"...? Looking at the pictures, that just boggles my mind. Maybe I am misreading this and only hope she was found in the dumpster. The evidence collected would not be so easily discounted as random trash. It would mean her body was better preserved.
It just would seem to defeat the purpose of posting detectives on the scene of each truck, if all you were going to do is search through that huge pile looking for a small child and ANY connected evidence in a mountain of garbage like that still !!

I haven't said boo about your theory, I'm simply posting links hoping they provide something to go on.

And does a bear **** in the woods????? YES >>> i've reviewed the link to landfill pics posted by ccane....

Did you notice the caption noted in the very first ariel shot - pic #7 of 18??? It reads Skywitness 9 News flew over the landfill on THURSDAY!

Sorry to interrupt. Continue.

she has company....and iirc she said tomorrow is a BIG day (or something to that affect....i'd have to read back)

you guys...tomorrow is a hearing 9:00am ....its in the court docs online.....i am wondering if this is for custody

correctamundo!

and i'm chompin at the bit to read the court docs update tomorrow!

I having been reading along a bit tonight and the posts regarding DT and her being afraid
of PC. I dont think this women is afraid of anything
She mimics the words and ideas of others and looks for sympathy from people she believes will be taken in by her stories
If they had said they thought Somer got hit by a bus she would have went with that theme
Remember when Casey A Mom said "who took her" when Lee was asking Casey what happen and the mom was listening in. As soon as she said that Casey got her idea
This is how they operate.. just make it up as they go along
I bet she told every boy friend she every had the last one treated her badly

She is a manipulator

omg this is exactly what i gathered in the time i knew her.....
I mentioned that she and my husband got along well they were buds, and its kind of odd, but he was the type of guy to never admit to any wrongdoing.....or accepting blame/responsibility for things gone wrong. common personality traits?

I must have missed the info. Was there an abusive boyfriend or volatile relationship back in 2008?

4mer...do you know how long she's been "with" CPC - didn't someone say approx 3 years???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther