FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncut: Somer Called Endangered In Tuesday Afternoon Briefing
http://www.news4jax.com/video/21352846/

2:50 p.m. Somer is released from school, GPE
1100 block of Gano she meets up with her siblings and then goes on ahead of them
3:05 siblings arrive home; Sean P. asks where Somer is
Dan M. (CCSO) says that Sean P. advised them to go find her. They searched for about an hour.
At 4, Mom is advised Somer did not come home.
Focusing on wooded areas in these residential neighborhoods
Expanded search extends into Jacksonville and Jacksonville PD is assisting
CART and Team 1 for CART
12 hour shifts (on 7s) working 24 hours/day
Retention ponds and small lake being searched (not on tip; searching everywhere)
Numerous command centers her
Leads are being followed up on; concentrating on some; no POI
As far as abduction, she is endangered and they do suspect foul play
She left school at 2:50 and met up with them (siblings) 1100 block of Gano
Out of character for her, based on age and size of child, hard for her to survive
What has changed since 11:30? Today's big focus was to recover the areas searched last night and using daylight
Evidence of foul play? Believed so because she did not return home
Lakes and ponds? 1 retention pond; 1 lake
Closer to finding little girl? Keep trying and trying and trying; have resources and are maximizing; tomorrow will talk about volunteers and what they can do to help (via media or via website)
Encouraging people to search on their own; nothing organized through Sheriff's office
4 agencies had helicopters in air (can detect body heat and will use again tonight); numerous agencies on ground
AMBER Alert and Child is Missing (phone system in which LE controls radius) and Educate link (through school system) so they got word out quickly
They spoke with 57 RSOs
Handed out 200 flyers today
Volunteers are walking around areas in which they live
What can you tell us about Somer? Likes to visit friends (they have followed up on those) but they will check back
Typical that someone is waiting for her, an adult? Yes
No update on distinguishing or identifying marks
Reporter asked him to repeat timeline of when she left school: Released by the school at 2:50 (implies detention to Noway since they get out 2:32); met up with siblings; then ran off; siblings arrive 3:05; Mom checks on kids at 4; leaves work and immediately flags down officer
No physical evidence that leads them to where she might be
Searched nearly entire area from Kingsley to Wells and Orange Park city limits to Orange Avenue last night; retracing steps in daylight
Siblings arrived at 3:05; were they alone? No, Mr. P., family friend was there.

Reporters questions hard to hear but tried to put in where I could.

Ccane, uncle GC lives on Arbor according to white pages. House is owned by BG. That's why I figured uncle was real uncle and not boyfriend. Had same last name as owner of house.

yikes, these initials are making me crazy!! Can I get a hint for BG?

Pong....yeah i'm smelling what you are stepping in - it's confusing enuff already

I'm sure Noway meant BC.....last name rhymes with Eagle.

Search that last name at clay county parcels

School out
ran from AT after comment about fight at school
Running by the tanks per boy
Walked home with girl she got in fight with at school per the girl
Scene at Gano and grovepark per connie C
Do we know for sure where the friend lives? Maybe that would point to where she walked. The uncle I think lives on same street as TJ on the police report

I am more confused than ever. She is late leaving from school, but sibs waited for her apparently. So, she could have had a little talking to after school Or who knows.

So where is the scarf and hat? She wouldn't wear it home. Did she have the foresight to stuff it into her tote bag? Probably not, as her lunch box is in there as well. Probably left it in a locker or on a hook, if she was upset. But, just guessing as no mention has been made of these items as being missing.

So she runs from her sibs, disappears, is seen alone by the tanks, and somehow is walking with this girl when? After Gano house? The tanks are shortly before Gano (I think). Stops at Gano, goes around and talks to Kyle. Kyle reports to reporter LE tells him that he's last person that saw her alive (except for perp). So where does this girl that walked with her come into the picture?

Pong....yeah i'm smelling what you are stepping in - it's confusing enuff already

I'm sure Noway meant BC.....last name rhymes with Eagle.

Search that last name at clay county parcels

Yea, I'm with you on that Tarabull

I get these dreams from time to time along with some of you all,and the location/name of arbor circle, it's relationship to the athletic field and burned house. It makes me go hmmmmm....

As Human pointed out,
"So she runs from her sibs, disappears, is seen alone by the tanks..."
But we don't know WHERE by the tanks, do we? I know they are fenced, but I don't believe we ever heard if she was on the grass beside them, behind them, or still on the sidewalk.
Seems to me that if she were still on the sidewalk she would have been seen by more than just this one little boy.
She could already been off of the beaten path by that time, no?

I looked at the Arbor Circle on Zillow. There are a couple of houses there that have been for sale for a long time. Don't know if they are empty.

The crossing on the Bing map by Gano and Debarry to get to OPAA looks like a big street for a little kid to go across, but I am only looking at from the air and it's a small view.

Theoretically, she was seen on the sidewalk of the Gano house and then went in thru the gate. That would be after the tanks. So I think getting off the beaten path would be after the Gano house, if there was an after.

But I go back to her scent being gone beyond that point towards home. Is that correct? I am map and direction impaired. And then we have the little girl who walked with her. Where does she fit in to the scenario?

Google map from satellite view:

Arbor Circle, Arbor Circle North, and Grove Park Drive form a triangle when viewed from satellite.

ETA: Grove Park Drive borders the OPAA.

Google map from satellite view:

Arbor Circle, Arbor Circle North, and Grove Park Drive form a triangle when viewed from satellite.

ETA: Grove Park Drive borders the OPAA.

So where do you think the little girl who lives on Arbor fits into this? Her uncle said that she did walk with her that day. When?

If any locals are going to the OPAA. I would like perimeter shots all the way around the park. Facing away not into, of course. Then we can see any trails leading away and what properties back up to it. And any secluded areas, obvious holes in and under fences, etc. TIA

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpopular/story/Family-has-special-connection-to-Somer-Thompson/CghyE6_PfUGlZmOMcOl4sA.cspx

[snipped...] ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Just about everyday, Somer Thompson would walk home from Grove Park Elementary School. Monday afternoon was no different when she began walking home with her siblings. One Orange Park family says their little girl would also walk with Somer from time to time, and was walking with her Monday afternoon just before she disappeared.

“Minutes before she was walking with this little girl. I mean, yea it's definitely sunk in...It gives me goose bumps...thinking it could have been fifty-fifty, I mean, just like that,” said George Cagle.

Cagle is the uncle of a 7-year-old named MC. She is a girl who goes to school with Somer, and says the two were walking home together Monday afternoon. MC told detectives she and Somer got into some kind of argument, Somer ran ahead of her, and that was the last anyone has seen of her.

“We took MC inside and asked her if she seen her...she said yea, I walked home with her. And she had said something about, there was a little argument or something, and then she ran off,” said Cagle.

[more at the link]

As Human pointed out,
"So she runs from her sibs, disappears, is seen alone by the tanks..."
But we don't know WHERE by the tanks, do we? I know they are fenced, but I don't believe we ever heard if she was on the grass beside them, behind them, or still on the sidewalk.
Seems to me that if she were still on the sidewalk she would have been seen by more than just this one little boy.
She could already been off of the beaten path by that time, no?

If Somer was in that grass, it could explain soot.

Human, you're right, (of course). In my mind, I keep seeing the tanks further down. Still wonder why that little boy is the only one we've heard of that saw her there that day, though. Key words are 'that we've heard of.' There may have been 20 more. I think that information came before the gag order was put in place on the Orange Park populace-maybe that's why.
Thank you for jump-starting my brain. Again.

Ping, I've checked this with shade-tree experts, and there is no reason whatsoever that anyone can think of why those tanks would have had soot beside them.
It's just that they work like a gas tank in a vehicle. Gas in, gas out. No soot, I don't think, unless someone else can contradict this.
I may be wrong. It's been known to happen, lol.

Trying to figure out where MC fits in...been reading and reviewing - something jumped out at me here:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/22/georgia.landfill.body/index.html

[snipped...] Somer became separated from her siblings and schoolmates on her way home from school in Orange Park, Florida, on Monday.

She was seen in a fight at school before she disappeared, according to a police report released Thursday. Her 10-year-old sister told police that Somer had gotten into a fight with another girl at school earlier in the day.

The sister said she brought up the fight while she and her brother walked Somer home from school, and that Somer ran off from them, apparently upset. The sister said she lost sight of Somer in a group of other kids leaving the school, according to the police report.

SOOOOOO do you suppose Somer ran ahead from her brother & sister and the group of kids she got lost in (as per AT) maybe included MC??????

SOOOOOO originally Somer is walking with bro & sis, who bring up the topic of fight at school earlier - Somer feels picked on and runs ahead then joining up with MC.

SOOOOOO SORRY if this scenerio has already been noted....as we all know there are several possibilities.

Weeks ago i came across a random news article. Under it were some comments. Within those comments were a number of comments made by a neighbor of DT. She said that she was under an order not to speak of anything related to the case, however she did state that the dumpster at Gano was NOT the dumpster that LE had identified as "the" dumpster, however she said that there was one down the street from there that was, but she wasn't sure she was allowed to say where so she didn't. I KNOW i read this b/c i took her screenname and googled it and looked all over for other posts by her . But ironically i can no longer find that new article or her posts and i can't for the life of me remember her screenname.. Does anyone else by chance remember reading this? This is going to drive me bananas until i find it again or at least find her "name" so i can find a reference to it.

Trying to figure out where MC fits in...been reading and reviewing - something jumped out at me here:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/22/georgia.landfill.body/index.html

[snipped...] Somer became separated from her siblings and schoolmates on her way home from school in Orange Park, Florida, on Monday.

She was seen in a fight at school before she disappeared, according to a police report released Thursday. Her 10-year-old sister told police that Somer had gotten into a fight with another girl at school earlier in the day.

The sister said she brought up the fight while she and her brother walked Somer home from school, and that Somer ran off from them, apparently upset. The sister said she lost sight of Somer in a group of other kids leaving the school, according to the police report.

SOOOOOO do you suppose Somer ran ahead from her brother & sister and the group of kids she got lost in (as per AT) maybe included MC??????

SOOOOOO originally Somer is walking with bro & sis, who bring up the topic of fight at school earlier - Somer feels picked on and runs ahead then joining up with MC.

SOOOOOO SORRY if this scenerio has already been noted....as we all know there are several possibilities.

Thanks. That's the only possibility, maybe....but where is the little girl when Somer stops at the Gano house???????

Weeks ago i came across a random news article. Under it were some comments. Within those comments were a number of comments made by a neighbor of DT. She said that she was under an order not to speak of anything related to the case, however she did state that the dumpster at Gano was NOT the dumpster that LE had identified as "the" dumpster, however she said that there was one down the street from there that was, but she wasn't sure she was allowed to say where so she didn't. I KNOW i read this b/c i took her screenname and googled it and looked all over for other posts by her . But ironically i can no longer find that new article or her posts and i can't for the life of me remember her screenname.. Does anyone else by chance remember reading this? This is going to drive me bananas until i find it again or at least find her "name" so i can find a reference to it.

Never saw it! Wow is that interesting! When I can't remember a name, I go in my mind A, B, C, but it's harder with a screen name than a real name as there is no reference to reality, like names that start with M-Mary, Mindy, etc.

Can you look in your history and see where you searched? I don't know how far back a history goes. Maybe some other poster like Noway who is really computer savvy has some ideas for you.

I hope you can find it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members