FL FL - Sylvia Pagan, 34, believed to have been abducted during Amber Alert by Jovanni Caceres Steffani, 38, Tampa, 13 May 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
An AMBER Alert was issued - and since canceled - for a missing 9-year-old girl from Tampa. According to TPD, the girl was believed to have been abducted with her mother, Sylvia Pagan, 34.
1715597230548.jpeg
The alert was canceled at 2:36 a.m., with police finding the 9-year-old girl, but Pagan is still missing, and police believe she could be in danger.
vlcsnap-2024-05-13-05h52m44s587.jpg

The woman was originally thought to be part of an Amber alert for a 9-year-old girl. The child was quickly found safe. The suspected kidnapper is dead
Snipped: The man, 38-year-old Jovanni Steffani, was found dead hundreds of miles north. He had shot himself, according to police

Now the only person still missing in this case is 5’3, black hair, and brown-eyed Sylvia Pagan.

Police said the daughter didn’t know what happened to her 34-year-old mother.

Police believe she was wearing a dress the last time someone saw her

The kidnapper is not showing up in the court system for the county Tampa is located in. Sylvia has a few records in the court system, mostly minor traffic, but there is one that indicates that 8 years ago there was a case related to child support. That case was recently reopened but I don't believe it's related, as she has four children and the case may not be related to the child initially missing AND the kidnappers name is not listed in any court record as being a party to that action. Search Results

MAY 14, 2024
[...]

“We’re working closely with the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to use any sort of investigative means that we can to locate Sylvia with our ultimate goal to bring Sylvia home safely,” said Major Patrick Messmer, Commander of Tampa Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division.

Police believe Pagan was with her boyfriend, Jovanni Caceres Steffani, before she vanished on Mother’s Day.

“So we’re asking anybody who might have seen Sylvia or Jovanni Saturday night into Sunday morning to please call the Tampa Police Department,” Messmer said.

[...]

Sylvia and her daughter were abducted together in the 10400 block of Altman Street by Steffani, who was driving a white Ford F-150 truck.

Daughter and Steffani were located at a hotel in Suwannee County, north of Gainesville.

That's a 2-hour drive, at least. Do we know the name of the hotel?

When did the 9-year-old last see Sylvia? Did Sylvia make it to the hotel or disappear somewhere along the way? Did they stop anywhere? Cameras or witnesses along the way and/or at the hotel? License plate readers? Did Sylvia have a phone with her? Where is LE searching?

I wish they'd give us a little more to go on or at least narrow down the area from somewhere between Tampa and Gainesville... Good golly. MOO

So Steffani actually drove into Suwanee County, FL. [Gainesville is just a reference point for those unfamiliar with FL, meaning west coast, middle part of FL.]

He took them at 10 am on Sunday and the child was rescued at 2am on Monday. The hotel has to be almost 3 hours north and likely right off I-75, not very expensive and not a big chain hotel. All indicative of Live Oak, FL a small pass thru town. You wouldn't go there on vacation. [I drove thru there recently and had to go 8 miles off I-10 to get to a CVS for my med refill.]

Anyway, they likely arrived in the Suwanee County hotel around 1pm, unless he disposed of Sylvia at one of the 7 northbound rest stops along the way. If he was familiar with an area from hunting, hiking, camping or some outdoor activity, he likely went to one of those familiar locations.

The child could have been sleeping and not realized what happened. Just that Mom was no longer in the vehicle. It is concerning that he was alone with the child for hours prior to being found. What was his plan for the child after Sylvia was no longer around?

He had to have fed the child so did he pack food / snacks, or hit a drive thru along the way? There are cameras everywhere, even along I-75, at rest areas, you'll pass trucker weigh stations along the way and they have cameras.

Snip
Police say it appears that Steffani drove them north on I-75 and into Suwannee County.

In this video, the reporter says they dug into Steffani's background and found that he was still married, to a woman who recently moved out of state. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on anything but it's the first I've heard of it. MOO

MAY 14, 2024

Who reported Sylvia and her daughter missing? Did they fail to show up somewhere they were supposed to be on Sunday afternoon? MOO

MAY 14, 2024
Police think Pagan and Steffani left Pagan’s residence on Altman Street, near the University of South Florida in Tampa, in a white Ford F-150 around 10 a.m. on Sunday. Eight hours later, law enforcement received the report of Pagan and her daughter being missing.

Who reported Sylvia and her daughter missing? Did they fail to show up somewhere they were supposed to be on Sunday afternoon? MOO

MAY 14, 2024
Police think Pagan and Steffani left Pagan’s residence on Altman Street, near the University of South Florida in Tampa, in a white Ford F-150 around 10 a.m. on Sunday. Eight hours later, law enforcement received the report of Pagan and her daughter being missing.
I'm thinking it was one of her other children. Maybe they're older, living in a different location and were expecting a call, text, visit or some other form of contact that didn't happen.

In this video, the reporter says they dug into Steffani's background and found that he was still married, to a woman who recently moved out of state. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on anything but it's the first I've heard of it. MOO

MAY 14, 2024
That adds a twist for sure. Is the wife involved, what state did she move to? Do they have GPS on his truck that they can see if he traveled there, then back to FL. Hmmm.

MAY 14, 2024
According to the SCSO, it received contact from detectives with the Tampa PD about a possible location for the child [name redacted] and Steffani. Deputies responded to a motel at the Interstate 75 and County Road 136 interchange near White Springs where they confirmed Steffani had checked in.

There's a Quality Inn located at that interchange:

MAY 14, 2024
According to the SCSO, it received contact from detectives with the Tampa PD about a possible location for the child [name redacted] and Steffani. Deputies responded to a motel at the Interstate 75 and County Road 136 interchange near White Springs where they confirmed Steffani had checked in.

There's a Quality Inn located at that interchange:

Good info! Now they need to look in Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park for fresh tire tracks and fresh dirt, broken tree limbs, debris that’s been moved.

Lots of bodies of water around there also. MaCallum Bay has a road around it.

Sylvia’s body believed to have been found. Positive ID and COD pending.

May 15, 2024

TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa police say they have located a body they believe to be Sylvia Pagan, a mother who was reported abducted along with a 9-year-old girl earlier this week.
Positive identification is currently pending to confirm if the body is 34-year-old Sylvia Pagan, who was last seen at 10 a.m. Sunday on Altman Street near East Bougainvillea Avenue in Tampa.

Interestingly, the body was found about 40 minutes South of the home. The hotel is about 3 hours North.

MAY 15, 2024
The Tampa Police Department said they found a body in Wimauma on Wednesday believed to be Sylvia Pagan's with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office's assistance.

MAY 15, 2024
The Tampa-based nonprofit “We Are The Essentials” said in a Facebook post that they found the remains believed to belong to Pagan.

“While we believe this is likely Sylvia, we all should wait until the official identification from the medical examiner,” the Facebook post reads. “This is an understandably tragic development. We pray our work in this case helps Sylvia’s family. There are few feelings worse than the desperate anxiety of not knowing. We are deeply saddened by this outcome and we join you all in keeping Sylvia’s family in your prayers.”

Interestingly, the body was found about 40 minutes South of the home. The hotel is about 3 hours North.

MAY 15, 2024
The Tampa Police Department said they found a body in Wimauma on Wednesday believed to be Sylvia Pagan's with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office's assistance.
This news makes me wonder how he hid this from the little girl. How did he distract her or keep her from realizing what had happened. He had to have taken Sylvia away from the vehicle by force, probably gunpoint. She must have been terrified and very fearful for her daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911
Back