FL FL - Tammy Grogan, 37, Miami, 10 Sept 2006 - Missing from Cruise Ship

poco said:
Maybe they should make it mandatory to wear a life jacket :confused: at all times on all cruise ships?????
A very morbid thought, but my husband said the huge 'engines, propellars, or whatever he called them', would likely suck anyone who fell overboard underneath the ship and severely 'damage' the body...:(

Hubby always has an opinion about almost everything and tends to be a pretty intelligent person, but I don't know if his knowledge of ships is 'on the mark' or not...

lucimhome said:
I can't believe this....I just left the office that this women worked in. They are all in shock and awe. She was a great person really friendly and outgoing. She has a 13 year old son who was with her and her parents on the ship. . Her dad was the one who call in to the office this morning and told them what had happen.(she was supposed to be back at work today) I asked them do you think she would have jumped? They all said NO her son was her life.She was a single mom. My heart goes out to this family. They haven't released her name yet and I don't know why? Please pray for her son, she was his only parent.

We're just hearing little snippets of news, nothing definitive on even when this poor woman went missing. I heard day before yesterday that her son had seen her Saturday night for the last time and she wasn't reported missing until the boat docked Monday morning.......how can that be right? I am sure the news mucked it up, but would you happen to know if she shared a cabin with her son?

I'm just shocked that so many people "fall" off of cruise ships. And this one is shocking in that no one seems to have noticed her disappearance for quite some time.

EDITING TO ADD: I've just read the article from the link in this thread, and they are saying she disappeared SUNDAY AM, so it makes more sense to me now that she wasn't reported missing until people were up and about Monday morning. Sheesh, it's getting to where you can't believe anything you hear on the news now!

sabego said:
I just spoke with a good friend. Her daughter and son-in-law were also on that ship. She had called me the other day and asked if I heard about the earth quake...told me then that the ship was in that very area at that time. She told me today that they did not even feel it. She also said that before they docked they were paging a woman, over and over. Believe she said Tammy. Then after they docked and were taken to airport in Miami, they boarded plane and sat for 2 hours before taking off. Supposed to land I think in Houston, but ended up circleing Austin for several HOURS! Finally landed and then boarded another plane for Dallas, then onto Tulsa. Son in law is a smoker and was not allowed to smoke anywhere. Think they boarded in Miami around noon. Got to Tulsa at 12:30am. Friend believes FBI was checking everyone on board, making sure who was who and where.

Sabego

My hubby is in the Gulf of Mexico and they noticed some "strange little waves" and when they inquired about them, they were informed of earthquakes. The waves were strange enough in appearance to be noticable, but not big.....he called them ripples.

kgeaux.. I'm not sure but I think she was with her son.... She still was missing alll day sunday and sunday evening. I thought it was a long tome too. but after reading sabego about her friends daughter saying they paged her all day on sunday makes me feel better about them looking for her. Before Monday...... ON our news they said there were FBI at her house yesterday looking all around.. I do know she was with a dating service and had some dates before she left. I have to go back to her office today and I'll give you all any updates. My thoughts and prayers are with her son and framily....

:waitasec: I just read in our Newpaper the Toledo BLade that the FBI is sayinhg there isn't any foul play. I'm not sure how to post links. But WTH does that mean? I'm not sure if they are refering to the time it was reported to the cruise line or if her disapperance isn't foul play? It has to be the time it was reported. Cause her disapperance is foul play.

mattsmom said:
It is possible that she left the ship but I think it's not easy to do. My experience with cruise ships is that they track you when you leave the ship and come back on. You have a card that you swipe at the door going out and in and you can't easily avoid it due to security. My husband and some of his friends were still at a pub in Juneau Alaska 10 minutes before the ship was supposed to depart and the ship security called our cabin and asked me where he was. They were aware of exactly who was not on board. Of course he got an earful from me when he showed up about 8 minutes later!

Really? I've never had that type of experience. I've always been given a card to charge items to my room (you have to settle up on the last day of the cruise), but I've never had anyone ask me to swipe a card when leaving or entering the ship.

Originally posted by Yakwoman

Really? I've never had that type of experience. I've always been given a card to charge items to my room (you have to settle up on the last day of the cruise), but I've never had anyone ask me to swipe a card when leaving or entering the ship.
This was a Holland America cruise (MS Amsterdam) in 2003. We were supposed to be on board for a while before the ship set sail (I think it was 1/2 hour) and my husband wasn't so they called our cabin. That's why I remember the cards. I've only been on one other cruise (to the Bahamas in '98) and I remember the cards for expenses but I don't remember if we used them at the doors. I assumed that all ships do it now for security reasons but maybe not all.

Does anyone know if she was seen after they left their last port? There isn't enough info out there about the schedule of the ship. I checked Carnival's web site and didn't find a 4 day cruise that sails from Miami with a stop in Calica Mexico (that's all I know about her cruise right now). If not all ships check your exits and entries then Yakwoman is right - she may have exited and not reboarded. Yikes - I wouldn't want to be left behind in Mexico with little or no cash!

I was talking to a friend of ours a few weeks ago and him and his wife go on cruises. I asked about the railings and falling overboard and he said the cruises he's been on there's no way for someone to fall over. They have to actually climb up on the rails. He's probably 6'2 or 6'3 and said he wouldn't be able to go over.

I've never been on a cruise but this is what he told me.

Oceanbreeze said:
I was talking to a friend of ours a few weeks ago and him and his wife go on cruises. I asked about the railings and falling overboard and he said the cruises he's been on there's no way for someone to fall over. They have to actually climb up on the rails. He's probably 6'2 or 6'3 and said he wouldn't be able to go over.

I've never been on a cruise but this is what he told me.
He's right I've been on a few and there is no way you can fall over..... she would never of climb up on the rail.

:eek: I just heard on a local news station that when her son got home, there house had been broken into....this poor young man sure has a lot on his plate.... It also said that the FBI ask them not to talk to the press?

Yakwoman said:

We've cruised on several different cruise lines (Carnival, HAL, Princess) and we had to use our cards to get on and off the ship. This has been in the last few years, but it's a way they keep track of everyone. When they scan your pass, they can look at their screen and your picture will appear. This way they know it's really you getting on and off the ship. I wonder if this is something they started after 9/11?

luvbeaches said:
We've cruised on several different cruise lines (Carnival, HAL, Princess) and we had to use our cards to get on and off the ship. This has been in the last few years, but it's a way they keep track of everyone. When they scan your pass, they can look at their screen and your picture will appear. This way they know it's really you getting on and off the ship. I wonder if this is something they started after 9/11?
I have done quite a bit of cruising on several different cruise lines. We have always had to show our card to reboard the ship. This was way before 9/11.
I agree with the railings being to high to fall over. My husband is 6'4" and they are almost shoulder height on him. Now the railings on the cabins with balcony's are not as high and one could fall over those if leaning over say looking at the water.

Shadow205 said:
I have done quite a bit of cruising on several different cruise lines. We have always had to show our card to reboard the ship. This was way before 9/11.
I agree with the railings being to high to fall over. My husband is 6'4" and they are almost shoulder height on him. Now the railings on the cabins with balcony's are not as high and one could fall over those if leaning over say looking at the water.

Thanks for the info on the card. We'd not cruised prior to 9/11, so I wasn't sure what they did then (with the cards).

The railings on the ships we were on were pretty tall, but I suppose if you wanted to get over them, you could. The balcony ones were also lower (on the ships we were on).

lucimhome said:
:eek: I just heard on a local news station that when her son got home, there house had been broken into....this poor young man sure has a lot on his plate.... It also said that the FBI ask them not to talk to the press?

Man, something weird is going on. I wonder if the break in is related to her disappearance? Maybe I've watched too much tv, but it seems to me someone ought to be making absolutely sure these two events aren't linked.

There still isn't any updates today. I'm wondering is they are related,Or if someone in her neighborhood did it after they show it on the news before her family got home.

That is an interesting update. I would like to see a current update. I wonder if her son is still missing.

That is an interesting update. I would like to see a current update. I wonder if her son is still missing.

This is the article you commented on, written and updated on Feb. 24, 2010. It doesn't appear to have anything new. .
http://apmobile.worldnow.com/story/12040351/news-11-investigates-what-happened-to-tammy

My question is: How the hell did this Craig Morgan, 25 years old at the time, get enough money to send 7 people on a cruise that was intended to dispense with a terrible inconvenience in his life: Tammy Grogan -- who apparently stood in the way of his having access to her 14 year old son!

According to the article, Tammy Grogan's son went AWOL Sept. 9, 2009, from Army basic training at Ft. Benning, GA, then turned himself in (for going AWOL) in October 2009. But, since that time, has not communicated with any of the family. So, yes, he is apparently still missing.

Craig Morgan, the benevolent giver of cruises, who Tammy thought had an unsavory interest in her son, is believed to have been living in Texas at the time of this article (2010). Attempts to contact him by news media have not been successful. It is thought that Tammy's son was living with Craig Morgan after he went AWOL.

Very weird case indeed. And somebody -- probably everybody -- knows something but flat out just won't talk. The only one who will talk is Tammy's Mother, Bonnie Grogan, who has already told everything she knows -- which ain't much, since she was "Rohypnol-ed" on the cruise and passed out the night before Tammy "went missing".

Apparently, the Roynpnol was put into her glass of water by the helpful sister of Craig Morgan, Rebecca Morgan, who thought that perhaps Bonnie Morgan might be having some difficulty sleeping -- since she herself (Rebecca Morgan) was suffering from insomnia -- so, naturally, she assumed the entire world had the same problem???!!! Not a red flag???!!! Guess not.

This case has of course been relegated to a cold case unit -- surprise, surprise -- in Lucas County (OH? I assume since that is the state where Tammy resided when she "went missing.") Why the hell even bother? They will never do anything with this case. It will molder on the shelves in a file storage room and nobody will ever crack the box open. Then, the case material will probably disappear, too, just like the victim. Craig Morgan's father is an attorney in Toledo, OH. How convenient. Free legal advice for his son -- the usual legal advice to criminals, I'm sure: "Say nothing; don't cooperate; they've got nothing on you."

Fricking unbelievable -- but not really. So much the norm. The guilty go on blithely, unscathed, fiercely protected and shielded from prosecution by the legal machine.

I'm done.

News articles give conflicting information.

The first article I read said that Craig Morgan (who isn't talking now and was the individual who paid for all to go on the cruise), DID NOT go on the cruise -- and the article noted that not going on the cruise was a perfect alibi. If Craig Morgan was not on the cruise, how could he be responsible for Tammy Grogan's disappearance.

Then, updated articles say that Craig Morgan DID GO, (!!! SMDH?!) and infer that Bonnie Grogan thinks that Jimmy (her grandson) and Craig Morgan tossed Tammy overboard. (SMDH again!)

I friggin' give up! And, yeah, I have the same question LE probably has: Why the hell did these people take advantage of Craig Morgan's generosity in the first place?

Sometimes, you get what you maybe didn't ask for, but what has every opportunity of coming your way regardless just by your willing participation.

Articles:

1. Local Cruise Ship Mystery Remains Unsolved
[http://nbc24.com/news/local/local-cruise-ship-mystery-remains-unsolved]
[by Arielle Berlin (Monday, December 29th 2008 Time: 03:22:55 GMT); same article has following date: 12/30/2008]

[Article from Feb. 24, 2010 at this link:
http://apmobile.worldnow.com/story/12040351/news-11-investigates-what-happened-to-tammy]
"[A]lso booked on the cruise was Fleischmann, Fleischmann's great aunt Deb Graf, Morgan's sister Rebecca Morgan, and Rebecca's ex-boyfriend Robbie Pantosia. Craig Morgan was not on the ship."
"New information reveals investigators found the date rape drug Rohypnol in Tammy's drink and they highly suspect Grogan was drugged, too. They also tell News 11 they found handwritten notes from Craig Morgan researching Rohypnol and other date rape drugs. They tell News 11 Morgan's excuse was that his sister Rebecca was having problems sleeping and he was trying to help her."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back