FL - Tasered by cop while handcuffed, woman strikes head on pavement; now brain dead

It's not due to the taser but because she fell and hit her head.
Which presumably could have happened even if he tried to grab her.

A Natasha Richardson injury!

I have not read the entire thread, but I'll throw my opinion out there anyway.

It is tragic and terrible and heartbreaking that a 20 year old woman has essentially died. Wouldn't it be tragic if she run into traffic and been killed by a speeding vehicle? Wouldn't it have been tragic if she had died before her arrest due to extreme intoxication, or the adverse effects of alcohol mixed with pain meds? Wouldn't it have been tragic if she had fallen while headlong while running form the police while handcuffed and become brain dead?

Yes. But that's not what happened. She was under arrest, she had been transported for processing. She was caught and she was going to jail. She didn't want to go to jail, so she tried to run away, never mind the fact that this presented a huge risk to her own safety. No, she might not have been thinking clearly, but her own actions led to her lack of clear thinking.

The police officer tasered her. While she was running away from his custody, and endangering her own life. he made a choice, one choice, to try to counteract the potential side effects of the many, many bad choices she had made up until that point.

That's how I see it. It didn't work out like the officer planned, it didn't work out like the criminal planned. Sad all the way around, but life goes on. Don't want to get Tasered? Don't run from the cops.

That's my take on it.

As I see it, her number was up!

This was a tough call for me. On the one hand, I don't think she should have fled during her arrest, but the girl looked very young (at least in her hospital pic wherein she was hugging a teddybear), and perhaps she wasn't knowledgeable about the law or was simply high on drugs?

On the other hand, I've personally witnessed authorities such as LE abusing their power over innocent people during arrests. I think there are always bad apples in each and every group and sometimes certain LE overextend their authority and misuse weapons like tasers, batons, guns, etc.

Do I think a taser was necessary in this case? Somehow I don't think so. A young girl? All you had to do was catch her and then put the handcuffs on her. How hard can that be? Seriously?!

This was a tough call for me. On the one hand, I don't think she should have fled during her arrest, but the girl looked very young (at least in her hospital pic wherein she was hugging a teddybear), and perhaps she wasn't knowledgeable about the law or was simply high on drugs?

On the other hand, I've personally witnessed authorities such as LE abusing their power over innocent people during arrests. I think there are always bad apples in each and every group and sometimes certain LE overextend their authority and misuse weapons like tasers, batons, guns, etc.

Do I think a taser was necessary in this case? Somehow I don't think so. A young girl? All you had to do was catch her and then put the handcuffs on her. How hard can that be? Seriously?!
catching her becomes somewhat more of a challenge perhaps when one is overweight? :dunno:

Quite honestly I am tired of seeing so many of these incidents with police using brute force, tasering, and killing, maming when it is totally not necessary. I recall a few yrs ago seeing a video of a police officer ramming a young teens boy into a cement wall and then into the concrete ground, I don't recall but I think he died. This boy was not running, and was not even the correct offender but he was smashed into the cement to the point his head sounded like a watermelon going to bust. This is not a once in a while deal, its an every day occurrence any more. Police need to learn that folks sitting on their porches, or unarmed etc are not dangers and do not need to be killed, or tasered etc. It also seems quite common for them to shoot peoples animals and kill them for no reason.
I think we need to make sure the ones who use unnecessary force are punished, just like we would be if we shot, maimed, killed some one.

August 3, 2016:

Bill seeks $1.75M in FHP settlement

A Senate Democrat has filed a bill that would lead to the state paying $1.75 million to the estate of a women who was critically injured and later died after a Florida Highway Patrol officer used a stun gun on her.

A $1.95 million settlement was reached in 2015, but sovereign immunity laws prevented the state from paying more than $200,000 without legislative passage of what is known as a "claim" bill.

Gibson's bill would make up the 1.75m difference.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back