FL FL - Volusia Co, UnsFem UP1308, 25-40, remains at 760 Pringle Rd, Feb'80

Pinky and the JD both have DNA tests completed in Namus so they would have been picked up as a match already.
I believe they would need to both have the same type of DNA on file. If one has mtDNA and the other has Nuclear, I dont THINK they would match up. Unfortunately we have no way to confirm which cases have what type of DNA on file

From a separate thread, addressed here to avoid going off-topic.

I was told by Hal Brown (from the Delaware State MedEx Office) that Family Reference Samples (FRS) are processed entirely by an automated system, and any nucDNA samples taken from maternal relatives are also processed for mtDNA.

However, if only paternal relatives are available (e.g., Mindi Chambers), no mtDNA profile can be developed.

Also, if the unidentified body is too badly degraded, they might not be able to extract nucDNA even if they are able to extract mtDNA. As I understand it, mtDNA is more resistant to degradation than nucDNA.

Also, although it is often denied that there are known instances of false negatives in CODIS, I know of one instance where DNA was available in CODIS for both the MP and the UID, and a hit was not triggered.

Dawn Renee Higdon of Ridgecrest CA went missing in Aug'88 and her skeletal remains were found in Jul'90 in San Bernadino County.

Here is the link to info regarding Dawn (no info is available about the previously unidentified remains)
http://forthelost.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/dawn-higdon-missing-twenty-two-years/

These cases remained unmatched despite the existence of a single FRS from one of Dawn's relatives, and a DNA profile for the UID in CODIS. (I'm not sure whether they were nucDNA or mtDNA, or whether the single relative was maternal or paternal). It was only after additional relatives submitted FRS samples that a feature in CODIS called "Pedigree Tree" evaluated the multiple samples collectively and then was able to flag the match to the UID case.

Here is some additional info from David Van Norman in response to two questions that I posed to him. My questions were:

(1) Is it a correct assumption that If only a mtDNA sample is available for a missing person, and only a nucDNA sample was available for the unidentified decedent, CODIS would not be able to identify the match?

(2) If only one sample of familial nucDNA is available to compare to the nucDNA of the UID, is there a significant risk of a false negative?

He responded as follows:
Answer #1: Correct nucDNA = apples and mtDNA = oranges! Or nucDNA is BluRay and mtDNA is VHS. The problem is Californias lab philosophy to develop nucDNA first (because it gives a higher confidence chance of a match and positive ID), whereas other labs go for mtDNA first.

Answer #2: Correct In fact if there is only one familial sample submitted for a missing case, so I am told by the folks at UNT, CODIS will not even bother comparing that profile against UHR due to the sheer volume of matches it will elicit. They require two or more to search. Sadly, they arent advertising that so cops who watch too much TV stupidly continue to submit just one family member when many are available. I had an LAPD detective tell me that they didnt have to sample the mother of a missing mans child since she contributed nothing to his DNA. Apparently he hadnt heard about exclusionary samples. (PS That childs DNA was subsequently matched by a cold DNA hit to skeletal remains found after a fire near Griffith Park).

Cheryl Lanier - #MP56066
Missing From: San Francisco, CA
Missing Age: 26
DLC: January 1, 1973
Height: 5'7" (67 inches)
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Race/Ethnicity: Black/African American
Circumstances: Cheryl was last seen in San Francisco in January 1973. No additional details available.
56066_276716.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-12 at 12.12.40 PM.png

Teresa Kay Davis - #MP14223
Missing From: Tacoma, WA
Missing Age: 18
DLC: November 1, 1973
Height: 5'6" (66 inches)
Weight: 120 lbs
Race/Ethnicity: American Indian/Alaska Native
Circumstances: Missing person (MP) was staying with her sister in Tacoma. Sister came home one day and found front door open and MP gone, but all of MP's possessions still there. Later received a letter from MP from Anchorage, Alaska. There was never any further contact.

14223_85706.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-12 at 12.12.40 PM.png

Brenda Sue Lefler - #MP22798
Missing From: Greenacres, FL
Missing Age: 31
DLC: May 2, 1974
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Race/Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
Circumstances: Brenda Sue Lefler was last seen in Greenacres, Florida on May 2, 1974. No additional details available.

Frankie Regina McGraw - #MP50181
Missing From: Ypsilanti, MI
Missing Age: 23
DLC: May 28, 1974
Weight: 131 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Circumstances: McGraw escaped from the Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Ypsilanti on May 28, 1974. She had previously escaped from jail in 1973, but was recaptured after she saved a man from drowning in a gravel pit near Grand Rapids. She may have been in Ypsilanti in 1978 and was last known to be in the Nashville, TN area. (per ClickOnDetroit)
50181_310238.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-12 at 12.12.40 PM.png

Carola Yvonne Davenport - #MP61591
Missing From: Philadelphia, PA
Missing Age: 22
DLC: October 1, 1975
Height: 5'4" - 5'6" (64 - 66 inches)
Weight: 120-130 lbs
Circumstances: Davenport was last seen with her boyfriend in the 7200 block of Devon Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on October 1, 1975. She left her clothing, car and infant twins behind and has never been heard from again. For unclear reasons, she wasn't reported missing until February 1976. Few details are available in her case. (per Charley Project)
61591_335963.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-12 at 12.12.40 PM.png

Elizabeth Ruth Gibson - #MP61668
Missing From: Freeport, NY
Missing Age: 32
DLC: December 5, 1975
Height: 5'4" - 5'7" (64 - 67 inches)
Weight: 120-130 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Circumstances: Missing person was missing for 10 years prior, probably traveled to England. Returned to US with a 9 year old boy and went missing again. Possible other spelling of first name 'Elizebeth.' No additional details available.

Mary Elizabeth Weekly - #MP24532
Missing From: St. Louis, MO
Missing Age: 25
DLC: March 3, 1978
Height: 5'5" (65 inches)
Weight: 110 lbs
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Circumstances: Mary was last seen in St Louis, MO on 03/03/1978. No additional details available.
24532_133958.jpgScreen Shot 2023-04-12 at 12.12.40 PM.png

Rebecca Suazo - #MP22124
Missing From: Central Islip, NY
Missing Age: 28
DLC: September 9, 1978
Height: 5'4" (64 inches)
Weight: 160 lbs
Circumstances: Subject left home on 9/9/1978 to visit family member in Brooklyn, NY. She never arrived.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back