GUILTY FL - Wayne Treacy for savage beating of 15yo girl, Deerfield Beach, 17 March 2010

I totally agree with the posters about mental health issues. The so called experts act like they know the brain and in all reality they are almost clueless. The psychiatric industry changes frequently. I have a brother that is bipolar and been in and out of hospitals for years now.

I'm sure this isn't this kids first outburst of anger. We don't know if his parents got him any help or not. If they didn't then shame on them. What he did was wrong, but the gf that let him do it and led him to the girl is worse. She could have not pointed Josie out or tried to calm him down or tell someone what he was planning to do. I want to know her motivation in all of this.

Yes what he did was wrong. He deserved to be punished but he is still a kid. I've done things as a teen that I regret and I didn't experience anything tramatic. I was just a wild kid!! Some want to give up on us, but a screwed up kid is different than a screwed up adult IMO. A kid can change trust me. I did.

I don't get your post at all. 13 year old who showed him the victim is worse? But he is just a kid?
Really? And you don't think the 13 year old is just a kid?
And what exactly should be done to someone who is just a kid? Give him some candy and send him home?
:rolleyes:
It's one thing to do some screwed up things as a kid, it's quite another to do what he is accused of doing. I am guessing they could charge him as an adult and I sincerely hope they will.

The parents are going to speak publicly from the hospital at 12:30. I have my local news on and will report what they say. I truly pray it is to tell us that she is doing ok and possibly even improving. I've heard she is in a coma and on life-support. It doesn't look good.

That shot of her being wheeled away by paramedics . . . they were bagging her (breathing for her) . . . she is indeed critically injured. He stomped her so badly she stopped breathing.

At the same time, I can imagine the agony of a boy finding his brother hanging, and the nasty meanness of middle school kids who really go for the jugular. NOTHING justifies stomping another person practically to death. But I can see how this boy was ready to blow. I can see how he completely lost it and went blind with rage. What a tragedy for the families, a tragedy that seems to me more about the age of the kids, their lack of understanding of consequences, dealing with horrors they have no coping skills for :(

Ok - mom isn't there - aunt is. Mom couldn't handle being there. Attorney made a statement. She is in a medically induced coma to relieve swelling on the brain and is black and blue from head to toe.

Treacy and Josie had never met. Family had never heard of him.

Aunt saying she was a normal teenage girl. Loved to draw, play on the computer, go to school. Mom is very close with daughter. Mom and Josie just moved to area recently - first year at this school. Aunt says Josie has a little bit of a disability as far as schooling - why she is 15 and in the 8th grade. Previous school is Crystal River - don't know if that is name of school or city - we do have a Crystal River (city) up near Orlando.

Josie has siblings. 5 siblings - different ages - scattered throughout the country.

Attorney saying mom's message is to "talk to your kids tonight around the dinner table" - everything starts at home - communicate with your children. Mom is not doing well. She has been at the hospital round the clock.

Reporter asking about if the 13 yr old was such good friends with Josie why did she point her out? Aunt said - they don't know.

Doctor speaking
in a drug induced coma - to protect her and her brain, she is intubated, keep her blood pressure normal
cannot and has not responded
massive head injuries, faciail trauma, epidural hematoma, was operated on that night for that
don't know about any type of brain damage

ok - news station pulled out but they weren't done!! aarrrggghhh - I hate it when they do that.

That shot of her being wheeled away by paramedics . . . they were bagging her (breathing for her) . . . she is indeed critically injured. He stomped her so badly she stopped breathing.

At the same time, I can imagine the agony of a boy finding his brother hanging, and the nasty meanness of middle school kids who really go for the jugular. NOTHING justifies stomping another person practically to death. But I can see how this boy was ready to blow. I can see how he completely lost it and went blind with rage. What a tragedy for the families, a tragedy that seems to me more about the age of the kids, their lack of understanding of consequences, dealing with horrors they have no coping skills for :(

If you read what he is accused of, this "blind rage" involves him texting his friends of what he was going to do, then getting on the bike and pedaling 3 miles to school. Screams of pre-meditation to me, and not "blind rage" at all.

Also, they said the family has no medical insurance. There has been a trust account set up at Wachovia. I didn't get all the details, but I'm sure the info will be in the paper shortly.

And yes, ITA jenny - this was definitely pre-meditated. Regardless of "his rage" - he had time to text others about what he was intending to do, time to "calm down", and that didn't happen. I hope they get this kid some help - but, more importantly, keep him off our streets!!!!! It seems to me he was a ticking time bomb. He almost beat a different girl. I kinda think he got to the school and found the 13 yr old - she was probably with another girl and he thought it was Josie and the 13 yr old said "no no that's not her - I'll show you her". And we know the rest.

This 13 yr old is at fault as well. She saw this kid's rage and knew what he wanted to do. She facilitated this and should face the consequences over it - JMO

please, stop making excuses, this guy planned this out, the girl that helped him is to blame too, but she's hardly lady macbeth here.

this was his plan, he came up with it, he executed it, he wanted to 'break her neck', and judging by that pic, he might have succeeded.

I'd like to know more about the brother's suicide, what might have brought that on. There was a 15 year age difference between the suspect and the brother, and they have two different last names. The mother and step-father also have different last names from the two boys.

I hate to admit it but as a middle-aged woman, i am growing incresaingly afraid of teenagers...i think they are proving to be a far more violent species than i remember, and I don't know the reasons but there are probably many, many contributing factors.
I know there are lots of good kids...but there are lots and lots of not-good kids too. A basically good kid does not behave in this manner (as this boy apparently did) no matter what has happened to him IMO. He/she may withdraw if traumatized, but you have to already have violent tendencies to do something this horrific.
We don't like to think that some kids and young people are just heartless and evil, but I think it is true. Lives are more complicated these days perhaps, they may be over-stimulated or whatever...broken families, lack of strong parenting...I don't know what it is, but there IS a problem in a significant percentage of youth today...IMO as always...

please, stop making excuses, this guy planned this out, the girl that helped him is to blame too, but she's hardly lady macbeth here.

this was his plan, he came up with it, he executed it, he wanted to 'break her neck', and judging by that pic, he might have succeeded.

I think what you say here is what's important. That he did what he did. I think he should be sentenced as an adult for attempted murder (and possibly, murder). There is no excuse for what he did. There are circumstances that lead up to every horrific act, and I agree with you they are too often "used" to mitigate the punishment.

I think what you say here is what's important. That he did what he did. I think he should be sentenced as an adult for attempted murder (and possibly, murder). There is no excuse for what he did. There are circumstances that lead up to every horrific act, and I agree with you they are too often "used" to mitigate the punishment.

ITA
This is a horrendous and premeditated violent crime. No excuse for this at all and has no place in juvenile court. This poor girl may not make it.

JMO

I am praying for Josie.

Updated article with new info:

On the left hand side is a slideshow - the last four pictures are examples of Josie's artwork. She is definitely talented!!!!! Also, gives more background into the offender's family. Seems his bio father has been arrested 48 times!!!!!

I was out earlier with my DD. As we drove past the hospital, I told her that I kinda wanted to go in and just give that mom a hug. But, I won't. I would never intrude on a family at a time like this.

Prayers for Josie and her family.

Attacked Deerfield Beach girl still critical; second student held

By DIANA MOSKOVITZ
dmoskovitz@MiamiHerald.com
A 15-year-old Deerfield Beach girl remained in critical condition with massive head and brain injuries two days after she was ruthlessly beaten by a student with whom she had been trading heated text messages, authorities said.

On Friday, Josie Lou Ratley was in a drug-induced coma, hooked to machines, following surgery to remove a portion of her skull, according to doctors at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale

Read more:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/19/1537562/girl-accused-of-aiding-attack.html#ixzz0ifPwt7jN

Teen In Medically-Induced Coma After School Beating
POSTED: 3:18 pm EDT March 19, 2010

Doctors of a 15-year-old girl who was beaten while waiting for her bus outside Deerfield Beach Middle School said the teen has been placed in a medically-induced coma.

Josie Ratley remains in critical condition at Broward General Medical Center after Wednesday's attack. Doctors said part of her skull was removed to alleviate the swelling of her brain.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/22890586/detail.html

Includes video with clips from family press conference.

BeanE

c'mon Josie - we're all sending our positive thoughts to you to pull through this

I SO hope she makes it! )-;

I hate to admit it but as a middle-aged woman, i am growing incresaingly afraid of teenagers...i think they are proving to be a far more violent species than i remember, and I don't know the reasons but there are probably many, many contributing factors.
I know there are lots of good kids...but there are lots and lots of not-good kids too. A basically good kid does not behave in this manner (as this boy apparently did) no matter what has happened to him IMO. He/she may withdraw if traumatized, but you have to already have violent tendencies to do something this horrific.
We don't like to think that some kids and young people are just heartless and evil, but I think it is true. Lives are more complicated these days perhaps, they may be over-stimulated or whatever...broken families, lack of strong parenting...I don't know what it is, but there IS a problem in a significant percentage of youth today...IMO as always...
Just MHO, but I believe one reason for it is that they have learned to expect a lawyer and a chorus to defend them with the same "reasons" they themselves used to rationalize their behavior before they did the deed. :sheesh:

Kids - people - hear what they want to hear, and the too common words, "I'm not excusing it," go in one ear and out the other, when they're followed by a "but" and words about how we understand why someone might do it and not be so bad as it seems, really... (Not that I've never done it myself.)

This kid's reaction was undoubtedly a sign of a basic lack of respect for humanity and sense of justice that he should have had instilled in him years ago, as it is in most people. If it weren't, we'd see this sort of response all the time, as kids suffer through tragedies and insults like he experienced, and worse, every day.

A series of texts followed, back and forth between Ratley and Treacy. At one point, Manson saw them. Then Ratley sent a comment about the suicide of Treacy's older brother last year.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/19/1537562/girl-accused-of-aiding-attack.html#ixzz0igmNpmtp

According to this article the 13 year old, Manson, saw the text messages exchanged between Ratley and Treacy, after which the comment about the suicide was made. This backs up my theory that it may not have been Ratley that sent the message but the younger girl that did it, and then let Ratley take the blame when she saw how angry Treacy was. JMO

We also cannot discount the fact that a huge number of children are being exposed to heavy duty psychotropics during their mother's pregnancies. This has been going on for the last 15-20 years and picking up speed--Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Lithium, Depakoke, Lamictal, Seroquel and so on. We don't know what's happening to these forming brains. Doctors can't even tell us what the long term effects on the people using the drugs will be.

Add in family break ups, suicide, rage, fluctuating hormones (which are known to cause changes in the way the brain chemistry reacts), spectrum disorders and Conduct Disorder growing exponentially (poor social skills and frequent mis-reading of boundaries) and poor hard wiring and you get violence.

I'd really appreciate it if you would all stop and think for a moment at how dramatically a human brain can be changed by a stroke or the onset of Alzheimer's. That's the tremendous danger that I've been talking about. A person with Alzheimer's can be kind and responsible one month and degenerate into a violent, profane, primitive or regressed state. Think about what is brewing in the malleable brains of our young kids.

Please, take a couple of hours to read "The Primal Teen". I honestly think you will have your eyes opened.

psychotic minds dont plot things out like this.....pre meditated and deliberate.

im not saying what you are saying isnt true about other kids.

im just saying its' not true about THIS One

kbl--I in no way intimated that this boy was psychotic. If anything he has major thinking errors (and that's a poor label for a tremendously huge disability) and problems with rage --both known to occur in children with minimal brain damage--caused by prenatal drug exposure, constant stress of living around violence, and trauma.

And I just don't under stand how you "know" this isn't true about this boy. Are you going on conjecture, as we all are?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back