FL FL - Wendy Huggy, 16, Clearwater, 7 April 1982

Posted 11/16/2017

Take a look at this week's Cold Case!
On 4/15/1982 Wendy Huggy was reported missing by her grandfather to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. Wendy was last seen on 4/7/1982 when her grandfather had dropped her off at the Patricia Apartments located at the corner of Belcher and Nursery Road in Clearwater Florida. Wendy was supposed to have visited her friend. Her grandfather received a phone call from her later in the evening indicating she would be home later. Wendy was never heard from or seen again.
If you have any information please contact Sgt. Hatcher at jhatcher@pascosheriff.org, Det. Koenig at tkoenig@pascosheriff.org or Det. Harris at tharris@pascosheriff.org. To be eligible for up to a $3,000 reward, please contact the Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay, Inc. at 1-800-873-TIPS or submit a tip online – https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=615

Posted 3/30/2017

Facebook

On 4/15/1982 Wendy Huggy was reported missing by her grandfather to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. Wendy was last seen on 4/7/1982 when her grandfather had dropped her off at the Patricia Apartments located at the corner of Belcher and Nursery Road in Clearwater Florida. Wendy was supposed to have visited her friend. Her grandfather received a phone call from her later in the evening indicating she would be home later. Wendy was never heard from or seen again.

If you have any information please contact Sgt. Hatcher at jhatcher@pascosheriff.org, Det. Koenig at tkoenig@pascosheriff.org or Det. Harris at tharris@pascosheriff.org. To be eligible for up to a $3,000 reward, please contact the
Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay, Inc.
at 1-800-873-TIPS or submit a tip online – https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?

Posted 11/16/2017

Take a look at this week's Cold Case!
If you have any information please contact Sgt. Hatcher at jhatcher@pascosheriff.org, Det. Koenig at tkoenig@pascosheriff.org or Det. Harris at tharris@pascosheriff.org. To be eligible for up to a $3,000 reward, please contact the Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay, Inc. at 1-800-873-TIPS or submit a tip online – https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=615

Thanks, it sounds to me they don't really know her whereabouts as facts. It's very vague. Who is "the friend"? Actually it sounds like "the friend" was her uncle. IMO

Last edited:
@Sleuthster - is it known for a fact she was pregnant? If so, was it her husband's? I ask because there may be another party involved in her disappearance if it wasn't.
Yes she was pregnant. Not sure if husbands. It would be good to know how far along she was.

I would think some attention could be brought to her case by contacting TV Crime shows about doing a segment on Wendys disappearance.
That's a good idea. There was a 48 hours episode that was on years ago about Wendy and Amy Hurst. They found remains in Tampa Bay and thought at first that it was Wendy but it was Amy. Det Lisa Shoneman from Pasco Sheriff was on it. It would be good if there was a show just focused on her case 48 Hours: How a family keepsake helped crack a cold case

Where is this report coming from? Who gave her a ride to the mall...Kim with her mother? Why is there missing so much information.

The first post in this thread.

Richard, post: 759398, member: 3899"]Wendy Lynn Huggy Missing since 7 April 1982 from Clearwater, Florida

WENDY LYNN HUGGY

Case Type: Lost, Injured, Missing
DOB: Jul 21, 1965
Missing Date: Apr 7, 1982
Sex: Female
Race: White
Age at time: 17
Height:
5'9" (175 cm)
Weight: 110 lbs (50 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Missing from: CLEARWATER, Florida, USA
Case Number: NCMC601962
Circumstances: Wendy was last seen on April 7, 1982 when she left from a relative's home to spend the day at the beach with some friends. Wendy was due to return home later that same night but she did not and she has not been seen or heard from since. She has a circular scar in the middle of her left thigh. Wendy may use the alias last name of Freeman.

The first post in this thread.

Richard, post: 759398, member: 3899"]Wendy Lynn Huggy Missing since 7 April 1982 from Clearwater, Florida

WENDY LYNN HUGGY

Case Type: Lost, Injured, Missing
DOB: Jul 21, 1965
Missing Date: Apr 7, 1982
Sex: Female
Race: White
Age at time: 17
Height:
5'9" (175 cm)
Weight: 110 lbs (50 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Missing from: CLEARWATER, Florida, USA
Case Number: NCMC601962
Circumstances: Wendy was last seen on April 7, 1982 when she left from a relative's home to spend the day at the beach with some friends. Wendy was due to return home later that same night but she did not and she has not been seen or heard from since. She has a circular scar in the middle of her left thigh. Wendy may use the alias last name of Freeman.

That is not what I mean...I know what is written down in the missing files...that is something different then stories told and perception, memories of what happened by the people involved. A little bit like....no...I'm innocent...she left with such and such...and DNA, years later, proves the person was killed by the same person making up a story. Not to say the people around her did something to her, but it's a story...a not consistent story IMO and it has changed over time....also her body is still not found. It's about statements coming from who and what is written down in the police files. The investigation only started a lot of time later after she went missing..this could have created bias.

Last edited:
I'm not really familiar with this case. So, can I ask if it was confirmed by LE that the last known location was the contact from Wendy to her Grandfather from the mall?

I'm familiar with Mary Opitz case down in Ft. Myers. She went missing from the parking lot at Edison Mall a little over a year before Wendy went missing.

Then I remembered, back in the 1980s there were attempted kidnappings of teenage girls from the DeSoto Square Mall in Bradenton, FL.

Sorry I don't have any archive access to the old Bradenton Herald newspapers.

That is not what I mean...I know what is written down in the missing files...that is something different then stories told and perception, memories of what happened by the people involved. A little bit like....no...I'm innocent...she left with such and such...and DNA, years later, proves the person was killed by the same person making up a story. Not to say the people around her did something to her, but it's a story...a not consistent story IMO and it has changed over time....also her body is still not found. It's about statements coming from who and what is written down in the police files. The investigation only started a lot of time later after she went missing..this could have created bias.
And news reporters add things so the only thing to go by would be the original police missing report and the Pasco County Case files.

Last edited:
Why was her report and case files in Pasco County when she went missing in Clearwater Pinellas County?
Her Gparents lived in Holiday, FL which Pasco County. They are the ones who reported her missing.

I’ve often wondered if the two counties compared notes and worked together. Some LE offices are really good at coordinating crime solving and some are not.

Why was her report and case files in Pasco County when she went missing in Clearwater Pinellas County?
I was thinking about this today. Really it should have been filed with PCSO or Clearwater PD. I can only assume that it's because she was residing in Pasco County. It probably would have been better in Pinellas because that's where she was last reported to be.

The original Facebook post has a number of links at the bottom but I'm not sure if they are valid at this point so I left them off.

Posted 8/5/2019

Missing Kids

Missing Person: Wendy Lynn Huggy
Missing Since
04/07/1982
Missing From
Clearwater, Florida
Classification
Non-Family Abduction
Date of Birth
07/21/1965 (54 years old current age)
Age when last seen
16 years old
Height and Weight
5'8 - 5'9, 110 pounds
Clothing/Jewelry Description
Turquoise jewelry.
Medical Conditions
Wendy was pregnant at the time of her disappearance.
Distinguishing Characteristics
Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Wendy has a circular dog bite scar on the outer center of her left thigh. She may use the last name Freeman.

Wendy Lynn Huggy was last seen in Clearwater, Florida on April 7, 1982. Her grandmother dropped her off a few blocks from the Patrician Apartments at Nursery and Belcher Roads. Her uncle lived there. Huggy was supposed to meet him that day.

She met a female friend who lived in the same apartment complex. That was at some point. She, her friend and her friend's mother went to Clearwater Beach. Wendy, who didn't have a car of her own, got a ride from the beach to the Countryside Mall. From there, she called her grandfather to say a man named Don would be driving her home.

Wendy was scheduled to return to her grandmother's house later in the evening, and start a new job at a fast food restaurant the next day. She never arrived home and her family never saw or heard from her again.

Wendy resided in Holiday, Florida at the time of her 1982 disappearance. She was born in Illinois. Her mother, a flight attendant, was often unable to care for her due to the demands of her job. So Wendy spent a lot of time in Florida with her grandparents.

Wendy had gotten married in Illinois. But her marriage was unhappy and she left her husband and moved back to Florida in 1982. She had dropped out of high school, but received her GED certificate and hoped to attend cosmetology school.

Wendy's grandparents reported her missing a week after she was last seen. However, the police decided she was a runaway. They closed her case after only fifteen days.

She was under eighteen. The fact that she was married made her a legal adult. She was free to leave home if she wanted. Three years later she still had not returned home. Nor has she contacted her loved ones. Then her grandparents filed a second report. The police began looking into other theories as to the cause of her disappearance.

Authorities exhumed the body of an unidentified female in Tampa, Florida in June 2001. They hoped that they would be able to identify Wendy. The woman had been tied to a concrete block and dumped off of Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida in 1982. Wendy's dental records did not match the victim. In 2011, the dead woman was identified and her husband was charged with murder.

Wendy's mother and her grandparents have all died. She does have an aunt living as well as a half-brother. He was born after her disappearance. Both hope for resolution in her case. Investigators believe Wendy is probably deceased, but no suspects have been named in her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

If you have any information, please contact the Pasco County Sheriff's Department (Florida): 1-727-844-7755. You may contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: 1-800-843-5678. You may contact your local law enforcement or 9-1-1.

NCMEC Case Number: 601962
NamUs Case Number: MP5074
Agency Case Number: 85-124267

Posted 3/20/2020 on the high school page. Some comments.

Facebook Groups

Holy cow! Murders in 1982 in Pasco County..When my high school, shows up on 48 Hours...Does anyone remember Wendy Huggy missing? She was last seen at Countryside Mall in Clearwater, but was residing here. I think she was 16, which means she should have been a 9th grader at Gulf, when I was in middle school. Anyone remember this???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back