FL - White House Boys, Dozier School for Boys, Marianna

There is a thread here somewhere because I read it a long time ago. horrifying stuff huh?

Is this the story that a movie was made about? It had some big names in it and I can't think of the name to save my life. One of the boys turned into a lawyer and actually represented one of the boys that killed one of the abusers when he was grown.

A horrid story, and mostly swept under the rug. So many state schools and youth detention centers have dark pasts. As do many parochial schools meant for the "troubled child". If you weren't troubled when you went in, you sure were when you crawled out.

Reading these stories reminds me of Dickens' stories. We haven't come nearly far enough.

For those interested, this book is extremely thought provoking and eye opening. Let me warn you, though, it's not an easy read:

The Boys of the Dark: A Story of Betrayal and Redemption in the Deep South by Robin Gaby Fisher, Michael O'McCarthy, and Robert W. Straley

Is this the story that a movie was made about? It had some big names in it and I can't think of the name to save my life. One of the boys turned into a lawyer and actually represented one of the boys that killed one of the abusers when he was grown.

I was wondering the same when I read the OP. The name of the movie is Sleepers. Starring Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, and Jason Patric.

I was wondering the same when I read the OP. The name of the movie is Sleepers. Starring Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, and Jason Patric.

No, none killed an abuser later there. There is a book by Roger Dean Kiser also called The White House Boys: An American Tragedy.There is a taped deposition of Troy Tidwell,one of the abuser. Watch as he smiles sadisticly at points and lies through his dentures.

No, none killed an abuser later there. There is a book by Roger Dean Kiser also called The White House Boys: An American Tragedy.There is a taped deposition of Troy Tidwell,one of the abuser. Watch as he smiles sadisticly at points and lies through his dentures.

As the movie progresses the premise of Sleepers is based on two of the abused men facing trial for murdering one of their abusers in a bar. We're probably thinking of two different movies, but, in Sleepers, they definitely kill one of their abusers. You can see it in this scene.

[video=youtube;CtCv_LlaCnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCv_LlaCnE[/video]

It's just dawned one me: Are you saying in the one you're looking for no one later killed an abuser? Sorry, it's been a stressful week around here. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

yes this is the movie I was thinking about. After reading the storys on the white house boys I realized this isn't the same story.

As the movie progresses the premise of Sleepers is based on two of the abused men facing trial for murdering one of their abusers in a bar. We're probably thinking of two different movies, but, in Sleepers, they definitely kill one of their abusers. You can see it in this scene.

Sleepers. Revenge Scene - YouTube

It's just dawned one me: Are you saying in the one you're looking for no one later killed an abuser? Sorry, it's been a stressful week around here. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

It's ok. Yes in this case an abuser was not killed. One is currently being sued.

http://genkidjericho.blogspot.com/2011/08/white-house-boys-child-abuse-case.html

This has been an ongoing revelation for several years.

I'll say this much. None of the locals talk about it.

I don't mean that shame keeps them quiet. It seems that complete ignorance of the occurrences is the culprit. I find that to be horrifying beyond my ability to express in words.

O my, I remember this from so long ago, I grew up in the east. Still it makes my heart break to read about it again. The atrosities sp that people inflict onto people in the name of righteousness is deplorable. Wow. Moundsville prison, Attica just to name 2.

I just saw the title of the thread and knew it had to be about Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys. They recently closed Dozier (June 30th, I believe). My Daddy worked there for many years before he retired.

I never heard what came of Gov Crist's investigation.

I just saw the title of the thread and knew it had to be about Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys. They recently closed Dozier (June 30th, I believe). My Daddy worked there for many years before he retired.

I never heard what came of Gov Crist's investigation.

There was nothing on the site about the outcome,so I don't know,but would like to. I also would like to know what happened to Tidwell after his 2008 deposition in the cival case.I hope the monster lost JMO.

I am almost positive there is another entire thread on this here on websleuths.

I just found this while doing research.

For the families of boys who died here, what's more disturbing is that no one knows for sure where they and dozens of others are buried. The school cemetery, called Boot Hill, was neglected for years. School burial records are incomplete. Folklore is inadequate.

But a team of anthropologists, biologists and archaeologists from the University of South Florida has been working quietly to find answers in a place shrouded by mystery. The massive multidisciplinary project, made public for the first time here, aims to preserve the records, inventory historic buildings, find the graves, identify the forgotten remains, protect the historic cemetery and open it to families.

"It's a humanitarian effort," said Erin Kimmerle, a forensic anthropologist and assistant professor at USF who is guiding the project. "I hope for those families that have questions and are looking for information, that this will begin to give them some of the information and history they're looking for."

Thirty-one metal crosses in a little clearing in the woods mark a mystery. The crosses, situated inside cable fence that measures 11.5 meters by 15.5 meters (38 feet by 51 feet), were planted in 1996, after a former superintendent discovered the old graveyard in disarray and grown over. Trees had fallen on concrete crosses that had been placed in the 1960s. Workers discarded those in the woods and planted the new metal crosses in rows based on depressions in the ground where they thought boys were buried

http://thewhitehouseboys.com/

<snipped broken link>

I just read about this within the last week as they have found additional graves and are working to identify how many they are, and the location. They are excavating one area and then will move to another area. This has been on CNN.com and radaronline.com I have been so consumed with reading about the White House Boys. So sad that things like this go on in the USA.

I do not doubt for one minute that Roger Kiser and the other men are reporting about the WHite House and their abuse. How many times have we heard of men and women put in power where they abuse that power and act out their horrific inhibitions and thoughts and urges. It makes me so angry!!! The on thing I am wondering about is in the vieos of the boys it shows several boys faces seperatly in clips. One of the boys though is in color and wearing a Pokemon shirt. Now Pokemon (according to wikipedia) did not get created until 1993. The boy looks to be about 9 or 10. So how could that boy have been one of those at the FSB? Can oneyone enlighten me to who that boy is? WHy he is pictured with the rest of those pics? DId I miss something?

I think what you saw was a re enactment of the horrors at the school at the end of film they show each "actors" picture

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back