FL - Woman Stabs Autistic Nephew's Eyes, Then Herself

I certainly don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into an autism thread, but you can't discuss this crime and NOT discuss autism. His autism....and possibly his aunt's.....demands attention. I hope I don't insult anyone who has an autistic child or loved one. I do not have anyone in my immediate family who has autism, and therefore, you can argue that I have no right to say ANYTHING about this issue. With that preface, I have been fascinated by autism for years. I work in the medical field, and I keep a file on autism. I collect articles that relate to various theories and to the growing nature of the epidemic. Epidemic is what it is, and I think the medical community should hang it's head in shame at the neglect that has been fosted on this issue. After many years of collecting information, and then after watching the Amanda Baggs video, I sort of have to wonder if autism isn't really some form of evolution. I suspect that perhaps autistic individuals have abilities that we, i.e. non-autistic people lack. Perhaps they have resources and talents that we have not yet tapped into. They are obviously cognizant humans. They are AWARE. They are aware in ways that WE are not. I totally respect them, and in one aspect, I hold them in awe. I can only pray, and pray hard, that this particular child can call forth his talents with being able to "interact with his environment" in ways that WE can't, i.e by hearing, touch, smell, taste; and that perhaps he can find another way to connect. I wish I could connect with him and let him know that he is valued and LOVED. In fact, I wish that I could connect with him....and with ALL autistic children and let them know that they are VALUED. They are possibly the key to the future of the human race. IMHO.

You are speaking my language!!! I have often wondered about the need to "treat" and make these amazing spirits conform to what is "normal." Each of the members of my family that I have had the pleasure to watch grow is such a unique being! I hate the changes and challenges that come with the medication. If you can find the key to their learning and communication abilities, and use that as the building block to their emotional and intellectual growth then the end result is such a brilliant difference to the rest of us "non" ASD folks! In my family we hold debates between those who are bio-chemically challenged and those who are ASD...ok no hate mail please:rolleyes:.

Seeing the case of the mom killing her daughter made me think of this case. Have there been any updates? I coulden't find any, but that doesn't mean anything.

Well it's nice to hear he's out of the hospital at least. Poor thing afraid to sleep. I can't imagine what he's going through. I hope can see well enough out of the one eye to get around the house and school with out assistance.

Lisa Louese Babington was repeatedly found incompetent to stand trial and sent to a psychiatric hospital, then in Sept 2013 the charges against her were dismissed and she was released into the care of her fiance.

Court case number - 07022414CF10A

http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org/Web2

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member