Fla. man accidentally shoots, kills fiancee on eve of wedding

It's worth the risk if you keep your firearms appropriately locked up AT ALL TIMES, and don't fire blindly in the night.
Personally, I think he's full of it. But that's just MOO.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to get the weapon out from a locked safe?
Personally I think that time would be better spent dialling 911. But I'm from Oz, and we're not a gun nation.
No disrespect intended. I know that Americans have the right to bare arms, and protect themselves from crime...but for me the idea of having a gun in my home would probably cause me more anxiety than the chance of an intruder attacking me and my family.
JMO

HMM. Not sure what to think about this. Maybe because I have a husband who can come home unexpectedly in the middle of the night----he works out in the Gulf of Mexico, and can be gone for up to and beyond 21 days in a row---maybe because I have 5 adult children who all have keys to my house; I don't know WHY, but something is telling me you don't shoot first and ask later "Who is there?"

I've been wrong before. I hope I am wrong now. But at this moment in time, fiance's story sounds a little "off."

This story just doesn't sit right with me. He couldn't just reach over to the other side of the bed to make sure she was there before reaching for a gun and shooting at someone in the hallway? To me, that would have been the first move, confirming that she was in bed, not reaching wherever he reached, probably the bedside table, for a gun and shooting first...................I just can't swallow that story.

I think none of us is claiming that this man shot his fiancee intentionally; however, with the information released thus far, many questions arise.

Whether male or female, anyone with a constant bed partner would most likely check on the other before acting. Typically, the male would want to see if the female was safe and protected; the female would want to see if the male was awake and aware.

One key piece of so-far missing info for me (as posted above) is where his gun was, and how long it took him to get to it as an apparent intruder was walking down the hall (and why he didn't see if she was ok meantime).

From the start, we were told that an investigation is ongoing. We will learn more when it is finished, perhaps some lessons then to discuss.

Sad story, no matter what outcome.

I think none of us is claiming that this man shot his fiancee intentionally; however, with the information released thus far, many questions arise.

Whether male or female, anyone with a constant bed partner would most likely check on the other before acting. Typically, the male would want to see if the female was safe and protected; the female would want to see if the male was awake and aware.

One key piece of so-far missing info for me (as posted above) is where his gun was, and how long it took him to get to it as an apparent intruder was walking down the hall (and why he didn't see if she was ok meantime).

From the start, we were told that an investigation is ongoing. We will learn more when it is finished, perhaps some lessons then to discuss.

Sad story, no matter what outcome.

I was just thinking the same thing, that the first thing i would do is check on my significant other next to me. I don't understand how he would miss her presence not in the bed, the weight would be different, a person next to you all the time and you can sense when they are there or they are up.
Also, most people, even if they sleep in complete dark, can see an outline of the other person in the bed or not in the bed..

Sad outcome, truly tragic.

From the first linked article:

Family members were planning a funeral for Dinsmore later this week. She will be laid to rest next to her first husband of 35 years.

Seems a propos to me.

If this was, indeed an accident..my heart goes out to the guy.

Mine doesn't. Why did he shoot at the noise instead of trying to figure out what the noise was? He wasn't home alone, could he have checked first to see if she really were next to him?

I'm not sure what I believe here. The fact that he's barely talking to her, nor begging the ambulance to come, nor crying and screaming for god to save her, no CPR, I just don't know.. :waitasec:

Never having been in this situation, I can't imagine how I would react. Would shock of what you've accidentally done cause you not to do all of the above? No way I wouldn't be doing everything I could to save the one I loved. Especially if it was an accident I had caused. I think all the neighbors would hear me begging god to save my loved one.

Mine doesn't. Why did he shoot at the noise instead of trying to figure out what the noise was? He wasn't home alone, could he have checked first to see if she really were next to him?

The neighbors supposedly have said that there have been multiple break ins in the neighborhood in the past month and everyone has been on edge about them.

That being said I think he shot her intentionally.
The 911 call does not sound like the call made by someone who just accidentally killed someone they love.

I would be more hysterical about shooting an actual intruder than that, let alone if I had shot my husband.

He's not off the hook. (Even if lacking intent), he can still be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter.

He's not off the hook. (Even if lacking intent), he can still be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter.

Florida allows you to defend yourself and home as long as you believe you are in danger. If they believe it was an accident he is not likely to face charges at all.

Florida allows you to defend yourself and home as long as you believe you are in danger. If they believe it was an accident he is not likely to face charges at all.
Does believing you might be in danger equal shooting at noise?
By the way I also don't think he is likely to face charges if they think it's an accident, but I disagree with that.
Even if it is purely an accident, someone should know what that someone shooting at before pulling the trigger, if you ask me.

By the way I also don't think he is likely to face charges if they think it's an accident, but I disagree with that.
Even if it is purely an accident, someone should know what that someone shooting at before pulling the trigger, if you ask me.

it does sound like he was trigger happy, i still can't understand why he wouldn't call out and ask the person to identify themself before pulling the trigger. he could have been like "who is there".

Not many people know "Pat the Bunny". Pat the Bunny entered our lives as Jacob's lovey when he was 3 months old, (Jacob is now almost 10). However worn...Pat has been around since...

it does sound like he was trigger happy, i still can't understand why he wouldn't call out and ask the person to identify themself before pulling the trigger. he could have been like "who is there".

Yes, instead of, "Honey, was that you?"

(old 'joke')

Since most people would be vested in determining they were not shooting a loved one, the law as written says the home owner can defend themselves if the BELIEVE they are in danger. If the shooter maintains from beginning to end and there is no evidence to the contrary (threats, life insurance, etc) the law would protect the shooter. The neighbors say there had been recent break ins in neighboring homes, that would go to his favor as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back