Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Produce pick up today had lots of sweet potatoes! I put them at the curb because I don’t eat them. The Amazon delivery lady asked if she could have them all. I said of course! She was very excited.

We are finally getting rain today so it’s a bit cooler. Now I feel like I can cook. Yesterday we picked up a pizza & salad to share. The feel like temp was 111 deg and neither of us could bring ourselves to cook.

I was thrilled to get red potatoes as they’re my favorite. I think I’ll blanch the regular cabbage and freeze it for soup.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
Isn't anyone cooking or eating this week? LOL! Thread seems deserted. We hadn't been out to dinner for three weeks and went to Picano's on Thursday. We both had manicures, pedicures, and haircuts and went to dinner afterwards.

We've been enjoying a plethora of fresh produce and have had simple meals for the last few weeks: grilled chicken, fish, occasional red meat, butterfly pork chops accompanied by grilled veggies and/or fruit. Last night we ate leftovers from our dinner at Picano's; tonight we're having grilled polenta with Nino's wine and cheese Italian sausage in marinara.

Enjoy the dog days of summer!

Isn't anyone cooking or eating this week? LOL! Thread seems deserted. We hadn't been out to dinner for three weeks and went to Picano's on Thursday. We both had manicures, pedicures, and haircuts and went to dinner afterwards.

We've been enjoying a plethora of fresh produce and have had simple meals for the last few weeks: grilled chicken, fish, occasional red meat, butterfly pork chops accompanied by grilled veggies and/or fruit. Last night we ate leftovers from our dinner at Picano's; tonight we're having grilled polenta with Nino's wine and cheese Italian sausage in marinara.

Enjoy the dog days of summer!
Not much cooking here. With husband gone I ate a lot of prepackaged frozen things I could make quick in the air fryer for dinner and I spend way too much eating out for lunch because it was easier. I tossed pork in freezer instead of stir fry.

I’m trying to find Saki to make my scallops. 2 liquor stores yesterday didn’t have it so I’ve got to try the other 2. One of the disadvantages of small town living. Didn’t think it would be this much of a problem.

I went to 2 grocery pick ups this morning. I’d only been going to the produce pickups. But we were getting low on most everything. It was getting hard to meal plan.

At the Catholic Church, I was probably #15 in line. There were still a lot of cars waiting in line when I left. I was able to meet the priest today. He was such a young man, maybe 30 at most, and very kind. So few young people going into ministry these days.

At the Lutheran Church, I was #56 and waited over an hour. They went all the way to #92!!!! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen so many people be served. They have the old sanctuary set up for us. It’s beautiful with old beamed, arched ceilings.

I was talking to the lady about my youngest going camping & hiking. I explained how the Beyond Meat snacks would be great for her. As I was loading my bags in the truck, she came walking out with the entire pile of them. She said they decided that since we were the perfect candidate for them, they wanted to give them all to us! That was so incredibly thoughtful. Those type snacks are expensive too.

There’s 2 new to us cheeses. I’ll have to see if I can eat them and what they’re used for. Now I have to get everything put away. I will set up my little grill for salmon!

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpeg
    IMG_0829.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 22
Is this thread no longer about food & recipes while under coronavirus quarantine? Looks like people are mostly discussing food & restaurants outside any COVID context now. Mods, perhaps a new thread could be started that does not involve COVID since no one recently has been talking about food in the context of quarantining in this thread.

I enjoy this thread even though I don’t post a lot. It’s fun seeing what the other members are cooking and eating. It’s so hot here in SE AL that I use the crockpot and other methods of cooking to avoid heating up the kitchen. I also like to cook a large meal one day to be able to reheat leftovers the next day.
today I have pork stew meat thawing. I’ll put it in the crockpot early this afternoon to cook till tender. Then add rice and tomatoes to the broth for an old fashioned southern dish we love. I’ll cook a few veggies for sides and cornbread too. We will eat this tonight and tomorrow.

But we are no longer quarantined? It has morphed into what it is due to no longer being quarantined.
I agree. The thread has evolved since we are no longer quarantined, food shortages are rare as supply chains recovered, and folks are no longer afraid to venture into a grocery store. Members who frequent this forum continue to share recipes, cooking tips, and useful food and nutritional information. While the pandemic may be over, we all have to shop for groceries, we all have to cook, we all have to eat, and we can certainly continue to learn from one another. JMO

Is this thread no longer about food & recipes while under coronavirus quarantine? Looks like people are mostly discussing food & restaurants outside any COVID context now. Mods, perhaps a new thread could be started that does not involve COVID since no one recently has been talking about food in the context of quarantining in this thread.
I don’t see why this thread can’t continue on as is. I think many or most of us have changed our dining habits from pre-COVID days.

JMO

I agree. The thread has evolved since we are no longer quarantined, food shortages are rare as supply chains recovered, and folks are no longer afraid to venture into a grocery store. Members who frequent this forum continue to share recipes, cooking tips, and useful food and nutritional information. While the pandemic may be over, we all have to shop for groceries, we all have to cook, we all have to eat, and we can certainly continue to learn from one another. JMO
When I am searching for something to cook I love to go back through this thread and the previous threads to find ideas and recipes to try.

As most of you know my health is somewhat fragile due to terminal cancer. I am generally always quarantined to some degree, and have been since my bone marrow transplant in 2017. I've been wearing masks long before Covid appeared.

I truly appreciate everyone's cooking help, shopping help, mentions of sales, food recalls, etc. on this thread. Unfortunately, being a cancer patient requires you to live in forced poverty, in order to qualify for medical grants. I have to depend on the generosity of others to provide most of my food. I don't have the luxury of buying whatever I want. So to those on this thread who help me understand what some foods are, and what to do with them, thank you. Your help is invaluable to me.

I don't mention Covid in every post. However, if I am breaking one of the Terms of Service required on this thread, I'd be happy to change. I'm hoping this new version of Covid doesn't crank up so bad this fall/winter, that everyone else is forced to live cautiously like I must do.

Scallops were on sale again. $7 off per pound so I stocked up again. Tonight is miso butter scallops with spicy bok choy as I finally found Saki in town. Going to make some chicken and sausage gumbo for the week for lunch. My passila peppers arrived so I can make beef in adobo sauce in instapot. Husband is home this week so sauerkraut soup for him for lunch. With the extra sauerkraut he wants bratz and mashed potatoes. It’s his birthday this week (50th) and has requested steaks from our beef stash for that. Picked up a small pork butt roast for cheap for some pork grillades which I’ve never made before and we’ll see how it is. Seems like too much food planned for the two of us. I guess we’ll see what actually gets made and what goes to the freezer stash. I didn’t even shop hungry.

Unfortunately the pandemic is not over and there is currently a COVID surge underway right now. People are still dying and millions are suffering from Long COVID. I have personal experience with Long COVID patients as a healthcare professional and as someone suffering terribly from an infection-associated syndrome myself. I still mask and have to be very careful because frankly if I get COVID I doubt I will survive. My life has been destroyed and I know thousands of patients whose lives may never be the same as there are no treatments on the horizon for Long COVID. So to see this thread is no longer a safe space for those who DO still take substantial COVID precautions during this continuing pandemic is very upsetting for me. I respectfully ask that at the very least the name of the thread by changed to simply "Food and Recipes." The current cheerful banter in this thread that is supposed to be related to something very serious (covid) is IMHO disrespectful to those who are still suffering immensely as a result of COVID. Thank you.

Scallops were on sale again. $7 off per pound so I stocked up again. Tonight is miso butter scallops with spicy bok choy as I finally found Saki in town. Going to make some chicken and sausage gumbo for the week for lunch. My passila peppers arrived so I can make beef in adobo sauce in instapot. Husband is home this week so sauerkraut soup for him for lunch. With the extra sauerkraut he wants bratz and mashed potatoes. It’s his birthday this week (50th) and has requested steaks from our beef stash for that. Picked up a small pork butt roast for cheap for some pork grillades which I’ve never made before and we’ll see how it is. Seems like too much food planned for the two of us. I guess we’ll see what actually gets made and what goes to the freezer stash. I didn’t even shop hungry.

I LOVE scallops! And $7 off per pound is a great deal.

My mom had never cooked scallops when I was growing up. I first tasted scallops when I worked at a restaurant when I was 18. We were allowed to have one free meal each day we worked, and after I discovered how delicious scallops were I usually chose the scallop dinner for my meal.

I am not very experienced with cooking scallops myself but it is one of my favorite menu items when I dine out.

During the time when restaurants were shut down due to COVID I really craved a good scallop meal.

Speaking of seafood, my mom’s favorite fish to cook when I was growing up was turbot. I seldom see turbot in stores or on restaurant menus now but she had a delicious baked turbot recipe.

Besides salmon I seldom cook seafood. I’m just not very experienced with cooking seafood so I usually enjoy it when I dine out, or at the home of a friend who cooks seafood dishes.

When restaurants were closed down during COVID I tried a number of salmon recipes: baked, broiled, grilled, and wrapped in parchment. I also love salmon patties, especially served with fresh sliced tomatoes from my garden.

As most of you know my health is somewhat fragile due to terminal cancer. I am generally always quarantined to some degree, and have been since my bone marrow transplant in 2017. I've been wearing masks long before Covid appeared.

I truly appreciate everyone's cooking help, shopping help, mentions of sales, food recalls, etc. on this thread. Unfortunately, being a cancer patient requires you to live in forced poverty, in order to qualify for medical grants. I have to depend on the generosity of others to provide most of my food. I don't have the luxury of buying whatever I want. So to those on this thread who help me understand what some foods are, and what to do with them, thank you. Your help is invaluable to me.

I don't mention Covid in every post. However, if I am breaking one of the Terms of Service required on this thread, I'd be happy to change. I'm hoping this new version of Covid doesn't crank up so bad this fall/winter, that everyone else is forced to live cautiously like I must do.

I have noticed more people wearing masks in stores now. I recently attended a local theater presentation of “The Sound of Music” and observed many people wearing masks.

The company I work for has started providing N-95 masks for us to use, it is optional but some of my coworkers have begun using them, I feel like I should start wearing masks again as well.

Really good article from just a few weeks ago about what to eat when you have Covid, very good tips!

If you get sick with COVID-19, there are certain foods and drinks that may help you feel better. A registered dietitian shares which ones are best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim