Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the cast iron pan help at all with your levels or is that just your favorite pan? I'm doing monthly labs too and am trying to focus on nutrition... Sorry if that was too nosey :)
I’m not sure because I didn’t know until yesterday that my ferritin was low. But my youngest had said a few months ago, you should try a cast iron skillet. (I have a blood cancer) She thought it would be a healthy thing for me. I’m not sure if my blood work on Tuesday will include another ferritin test or not.

I’m not sure because I didn’t know until yesterday that my ferritin was low. But my youngest had said a few months ago, you should try a cast iron skillet. (I have a blood cancer) She thought it would be a healthy thing for me. I’m not sure if my blood work on Tuesday will include another ferritin test or not.
I see, so sorry to know that. Various things were wrong with my blood work over the past few years. Turns out it was my thyroid. Not so much iron for me but vitamin d, b12... the list goes on and on as I am finding out. I am focusing on protein and carbs as I experienced muscle wasting for a long time. So I'm doing a lot of eggs, tofu, complex carbs and supplements. I've heard of people using cast iron as a way to help boost iron levels but Idk if that is accurate or ? (like that "iron fish" they advertise, if you're familiar)

I've found that red potatoes hold up better in a skillet than a white or yellow. Do you make your eggs in a separate pan? I like to scramble the egg and mix it into the potato sometimes, just to make life interesting :p

I see, so sorry to know that. Various things were wrong with my blood work over the past few years. Turns out it was my thyroid. Not so much iron for me but vitamin d, b12... the list goes on and on as I am finding out. I am focusing on protein and carbs as I experienced muscle wasting for a long time. So I'm doing a lot of eggs, tofu, complex carbs and supplements. I've heard of people using cast iron as a way to help boost iron levels but Idk if that is accurate or ? (like that "iron fish" they advertise, if you're familiar)

I've found that red potatoes hold up better in a skillet than a white or yellow. Do you make your eggs in a separate pan? I like to scramble the egg and mix it into the potato sometimes, just to make life interesting :p
I make my eggs in a "green pan" the ones that are white inside and nonstick. You can't use them for high heat but they're perfect for me. I don't need a skillet I can use as a Wok!

My B12 won't stay above 300 which is the minimum I need. So each month when I have treatment, they give me a shot. Since it's part of my "cancer treatment" the insurance pays it. Otherwise, it's a $20 copay for a $3 shot - ridiculousness.

I have low potassium also and have to eat spinach, potatoes, and drink juice with high potassium. I just planted a new patch of spinach, a 3' x 6' patch of green beans and my red "seed" potatoes are curing on the windowsill.

My sugar snap peas are coming in and I'm going to steam them. My Japanese cucumbers are coming in too and I've been eating them with a little salt. Soooo good.

People who have anemia have been advised to cook in cast iron pans, because food does absorb iron while cooking.

Also, people who have medical conditions that require limiting iron intake have been advised not to use cast iron for cooking. I used to work with a hematologist and we had a few patients with Hemochromatosis who had to limit the amount of iron intake.

This is a from a good article on the subject:

This effect is so reliable that iron cookware has occasionally been used to combat anemia. A variety of studies have shown that iron pots and pans can boost your iron status, substantially increasing the iron content of certain foods (like eggs and applesauce) but not others (like hamburgers).[16][17] The pan’s iron is in the non-heme form, which isn’t absorbed as well as heme iron from meat. But vitamin C can greatly increase absorption, as can acidity, so recipes containing things like lemon or tomato sauce can boost absorption.

The lemon blueberry cheesecake came out tasty. I thought I added too many blueberries so I cooked it just a bit longer so the center would set up.

Today, I'm going to see my friends 90 y/o father who lives alone. He's a grumpy old military man who can't find anything in life to be happy about. My friend struggles to tolerate him when she visits 3 times a week.

He's decided he needs to get rid of his gardening tools and wants me to come look at them. I'm going to take him cheesecake with cool whip on it. Maybe that will give him something positive to think/talk about during her next visit. But then again, maybe not. I think he's just lonely, and mad that he doesn't have anyone to "order around" like he did in his career.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 5
The lemon blueberry cheesecake came out tasty. I thought I added too many blueberries so I cooked it just a bit longer so the center would set up.

Today, I'm going to see my friends 90 y/o father who lives alone. He's a grumpy old military man who can't find anything in life to be happy about. My friend struggles to tolerate him when she visits 3 times a week.

He's decided he needs to get rid of his gardening tools and wants me to come look at them. I'm going to take him cheesecake with cool whip on it. Maybe that will give him something positive to think/talk about during her next visit. But then again, maybe not. I think he's just lonely, and mad that he doesn't have anyone to "order around" like he did in his career.
Your cheesecake looks yummy- that is so thoughtful of you to take cheesecake to a grumpy old military man!!!! I am sure he will appreciate it- maybe even cause him to smile, who knows!!!!

People who have anemia have been advised to cook in cast iron pans, because food does absorb iron while cooking.

Also, people who have medical conditions that require limiting iron intake have been advised not to use cast iron for cooking. I used to work with a hematologist and we had a few patients with Hemochromatosis who had to limit the amount of iron intake.

This is a from a good article on the subject:

This effect is so reliable that iron cookware has occasionally been used to combat anemia. A variety of studies have shown that iron pots and pans can boost your iron status, substantially increasing the iron content of certain foods (like eggs and applesauce) but not others (like hamburgers).[16][17] The pan’s iron is in the non-heme form, which isn’t absorbed as well as heme iron from meat. But vitamin C can greatly increase absorption, as can acidity, so recipes containing things like lemon or tomato sauce can boost absorption.

Thank you for citing a source! Somewhere in my "files" I had it down that cast iron pans for "anemia" was a thing. Too much iron is also a very real thing.

@PayrollNerd who could be grumpy when there is cheesecake? :)

When I first started seeing my primary care physician in 2015 (I had turned 65 and needed to have a regular physician for Medicare), she did all sorts of blood work that I had not had previously. My Vitamin D, B12, folic acid, and potassium levels were extremely low. She put me on prescription doses of Vitamin D and potassium, told me to take folic acid daily, and had me come in weekly for B12 shots for three months. I now take daily Vitamin D, folic acid, and B12 to keep my levels steady. My potassium level has been in the normal range following several months on Klor-Con, and I drink Pedialyte or V-8 daily to maintain my levels. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia (low sodium) several years ago and have to be careful not to drink too much water because it depletes sodium levels. Pedialyte and V-8 help with this, too.

When I had labs last week prior to my annual physical, all my levels were within normal range except for RBC (red blood cells) that was just below normal. I asked Dr. K if I should be concerned about it, and she noted that my RBC count had been at that level previously and has also been higher at other times. She'll check it again in six months, but for now, there's no cause for alarm, and she doesn't want me to worry about it.

FWIW you can have low ferritin and no symptoms- your actual hemoglobin levels might be normal but you have no reserves.... had this frequently as a younger woman

You are fortunate to have your daughter looking out for you :)

I had low iron for several years due to endometriosis and fibroids. My gyn had me take Feosol iron supplement until he was finally able to convince me to have a hysterectomy. I hadn't realized just how awful I felt for so long due to low iron levels until I recovered from surgery and no longer had to deal with heavy bleeding from endometriosis and fibroids.

You are fortunate to have your daughter looking out for you :)

I had low iron for several years due to endometriosis and fibroids. My gyn had me take Feosol iron supplement until he was finally able to convince me to have a hysterectomy. I hadn't realized just how awful I felt for so long due to low iron levels until I recovered from surgery and no longer had to deal with heavy bleeding from endometriosis and fibroids.
I’m going to ask on Tuesday what I need to do for it. My fatigue has increased lately. Maybe that’s why?

My youngest got her undergrad in Biology and actually had a class that covered cells. She wrote about my disease (multiple myeloma) on her essay for vet school.

She and my other daughter (a marine scientist) are so good at research. They look up everything and tell me about foods, ways to cook things, meds, etc. They help me in the garden so I can have fresh organic foods too.

Oh here’s a few sunflowers! They really feed my soul on the hard days.

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 9
I’m going to ask on Tuesday what I need to do for it. My fatigue has increased lately. Maybe that’s why?
For me, low iron meant lack of energy and generalized physical weakness. I was also pale and cold all the time - even in summer.

Last edited:

My youngest got her undergrad in Biology and actually had a class that covered cells. She wrote about my disease (multiple myeloma) on her essay for vet school.

She and my other daughter (a marine scientist) are so good at research. They look up everything and tell me about foods, ways to cook things, meds, etc. They help me in the garden so I can have fresh organic foods too.

Oh here’s a few sunflowers! They really feed my soul on the hard days.
The sunflowers are beautiful! Love the colors.

I packed up 3 pieces of cheesecake smothered in cool whip for my friends Dad. He’s about 95% deaf and has macular degeneration. I’m not sure he heard even 1/4 of what I said. But I could tell he enjoyed having a visitor. He gave me a spade and trellis sticks. The other garden tools were heavy, like an axe & hedge trimmers.

Then we talked about his train table. He says he can’t see it with such poor vision. So time to sell or donate it.

Right before I left I took more sunflower pics with bees!

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3253.jpeg
    IMG_3253.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3249.jpeg
    IMG_3249.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3250.jpeg
    IMG_3250.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3251.jpeg
    IMG_3251.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 20
When I first started seeing my primary care physician in 2015 (I had turned 65 and needed to have a regular physician for Medicare), she did all sorts of blood work that I had not had previously. My Vitamin D, B12, folic acid, and potassium levels were extremely low. She put me on prescription doses of Vitamin D and potassium, told me to take folic acid daily, and had me come in weekly for B12 shots for three months. I now take daily Vitamin D, folic acid, and B12 to keep my levels steady. My potassium level has been in the normal range following several months on Klor-Con, and I drink Pedialyte or V-8 daily to maintain my levels. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia (low sodium) several years ago and have to be careful not to drink too much water because it depletes sodium levels. Pedialyte and V-8 help with this, too.

When I had labs last week prior to my annual physical, all my levels were within normal range except for RBC (red blood cells) that was just below normal. I asked Dr. K if I should be concerned about it, and she noted that my RBC count had been at that level previously and has also been higher at other times. She'll check it again in six months, but for now, there's no cause for alarm, and she doesn't want me to worry about it.
Very interesting and informative, but I have to ask, did the changes make you feel any better? Quality of life is just as, if not more, important than quantity of life when we're entering our golden years.

I packed up 3 pieces of cheesecake smothered in cool whip for my friends Dad. He’s about 95% deaf and has macular degeneration. I’m not sure he heard even 1/4 of what I said. But I could tell he enjoyed having a visitor. He gave me a spade and trellis sticks. The other garden tools were heavy, like an axe & hedge trimmers.

Then we talked about his train table. He says he can’t see it with such poor vision. So time to sell or donate it.

I'm certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that he appreciated your time and attention as much, if not more, as your delicious cheese cake. On another note - that train table! I wish I wish I wish....

You are very kind to visit your friend’s dad. His state sounds so similar to my own dad (now passed). Mine had advanced glaucoma and severe hearing loss—and then eventually dementia on top of all that. He was “grumpy” and negative, too (an understatement, in my case). So I empathize and sympathize with your friend, who finds it difficult spending time with him. I am sure your friend appreciates you beyond measure.

I love sunflowers, too. I once planted one of those giant ones. Every year since, multiple sunflowers sprout up everywhere! But the funny thing is, none are ever the single giant flower type. They are a single stalk but with multiple small sunflowers. The finches here love them. I never knew they like to eat the leaves! I don’t mind it. Do you see them doing that with your sunflower plants, too?

Very interesting and informative, but I have to ask, did the changes make you feel any better? Quality of life is just as, if not more, important than quantity of life when we're entering our golden years.
Absolutely! I have a few aches and pains at times, my vision is poor (always has been), but at age 74, I have a high energy level and am in very good health overall. I eat healthfully, have never smoked, get plenty of rest and moderate exercise, and I read and do word puzzles to keep my mind sharp. With rare exception, my labs are always within normal ranges, and I don't have any major medical issues. My cough-variant asthma is under control, and I haven't even had a cold in more than 10 years!

Food prepping on this rainy dreary day in SWFL. First up, GF enchiladas, mine with chicken, kiddos veggies only. She has a terrible cold so hers went into the freezer unbaked.

Now I’m seeing if I have enough ingredients to make chocolate chip cookie dough. I’ll roll it into little balls & freeze most of them. Maybe bake off a few but not many. I have to eat my cheesecake. It’s really rich & filling.

I’m trying to decide if I want to do some veggies in the cast iron skillet or make a pot of veggie soup. I’m going to traipse thru the rain and see if there’s some carrots ready in the garden.

My not so exciting life….

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpeg
    IMG_3265.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3266.jpeg
    IMG_3266.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3269.jpeg
    IMG_3269.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 13
Status